PDA

View Full Version : S3 V-Tune results

ea2001
March 26th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Hi all

Just got back from the dyno with an APR S3 in 98 mode.
Did a bit of V-Tne and got ~6kw at the wheels from boost and timing settings. 150kw max. Have more testing to do. The exhaust manifold and turbo were glowing red and the inlet temps were up to 80degC so we decided to call it a day. 7 runs in 45 mins. To much heat soak and an outside temp of 30degC were not ideal conditions. Timing retard of average 3.5deg noted. Good. AFR at 12.5. Boost spike to 1.55bar and no fault codes.

Derek

Staring07
March 26th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Nice one Derek. Looking forward to doing the same with mine as soon as APR do the BQ code (and send me an up to date erf/property file for ECUX! :evil:).

Can you send me the V-Tune settings you used for the best run?

ea2001
March 26th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Settings used were 103.xx% boost and 2.25 timing.
Max average retard was 3.5deg.

Derek

Staring07
March 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Excellent, ta! :s3_addict:

ea2001
March 26th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Just keep in mind what works on one car may not work on the next.
Always play safe and log the ECU.
Remember all this is done at your own risk. Happy tuning!
Derek

angelshox
March 26th, 2004, 11:01 PM
derek, you will have to forgive my ignorance about this as i am now gettting interested in modding my s3..... :bow_down:

does the car have to be modified via a chip to be able to use this vtune. i think guy did mention something about this at the audi/vw meet a few saturdays ago

Kris
March 27th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Angel, you need the APR S3 chip.. cant vtune a stock car..

angelshox
March 27th, 2004, 12:47 AM
AmD chip will do?

Kris
March 27th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Let me say that again :D

You need the APR S3 chip

angelshox
March 27th, 2004, 12:59 AM
well that just spoils my fun.....oh well, thanks for the heads up

Kris
March 27th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Why?

AmD is crap anyway hehe.. (joke for all the serious)

Anyway, the only dealer I know of is Simon (QSZ) and he's as dear as poision.

To give you a example, I priced a Porsche Conversion kit for my S3 ( to bolt on my 993Bi Turbo Brakes) he wanted $950 AUD and thats without bolts and stainless lines.

I just purchased the same kit, with stainless goodridge lines (worth $200aud) and porsche oem bolts for $460AUD from another company (and I get free audi stickers hehehe)

The guy is a rip off.

Look elsewhere..

XXX-1.8T
March 27th, 2004, 01:11 AM
thats not nice Kris he runs a business he has overheads etc cant just say that about him. I think hes reasonable :D

angelshox
March 27th, 2004, 01:13 AM
the figures i have gotten from simon for what i would like to do.....ie

amd diverter valve $345
amd oneclick chiptuning $1950
milltek cat back exhaust $1950
bmc cda $595

i have heard many good things about amd....one of my colleagues i used to work with who now lives in the uk, has a seat cupra with amd chip and he says he has noticed a significant difference in hp and torque.

with apr, the figures i have seen and the cost is actually more! sorry guy

as i am new to this sort of thing i am very willing to listen to those who have been there and done that :D

Kris
March 27th, 2004, 01:13 AM
950AUD compared to 450AUD is some overhead :)

Resonable, well thats up to your own interpretation. I find him extremely expensive, thats my opinon.

PS: have someone you can talk to about OneClick, he was the first S3 in the UK to have it done I believe, he did some development with AmD. I believe its a good product and thats a great price actually....

XXX-1.8T
March 27th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Angelshox i think chips etc are all the same at the end of the day just differnt delivery methods and some have bells and whistles......

But what counts in the end is aftersales service and i just saw ur in Brisi if u have a prob with ur car what happens next, where Guy is up the road and offers great service (and im sure u made Guy an offer with cash he'd sort u out :big_wink: ) he could sort u out - get what im getting at?

If u were in Melb then maybe Simon would be an option but i think Guy is the Guru for VAG stuff in QLD :D

ea2001
March 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Angelshox

I do not know much about the AMD One Click product. What do you get for the $1950 exactly. 1 program or two etc?
Also for the $595 for the BMC CDA (not fitted I presume) you get a claimed 5-6kw. Yes/no. With V-Tune you can get the same increase for free. The BMC is a good product though. Don't misunderstand me. Just pointing out other benifits of having the APR chip.
And as Costa said local backup is good if you are buying anything from a chip to fridges etc. As Costa also says most of the big name tuners have pretty similar output results, its down to options and service. I sound like a Costa groupie.
Whichever way you go have fun tuning your car. Tunned S3's are awesome.
Derek

5VTurbo
March 28th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Just had a 50K serviced and had to replace discs and pads. Car stops better now and I'am now looking to chip the car now. Derek would you chip my car from my place next week for $1500 cash?.

angelshox
March 28th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Angelshox i think chips etc are all the same at the end of the day just differnt delivery methods and some have bells and whistles......

But what counts in the end is aftersales service and i just saw ur in Brisi if u have a prob with ur car what happens next, where Guy is up the road and offers great service (and im sure u made Guy an offer with cash he'd sort u out ) he could sort u out - get what im getting at?

If u were in Melb then maybe Simon would be an option but i think Guy is the Guru for VAG stuff in QLD

simon has a authorised dealer up here in brisbane, chapman autosports at the gabba. he does all the aftersales servicing as well. i can appreciate that guy has all the right stuff , the right knowledge, a great bloke and the people i know up here swear by him.....maybe i should have a little chat with guy :wink:

angelshox
March 28th, 2004, 11:14 PM
derek

I do not know much about the AMD One Click product. What do you get for the $1950 exactly. 1 program or two etc?
Also for the $595 for the BMC CDA (not fitted I presume) you get a claimed 5-6kw. Yes/no. With V-Tune you can get the same increase for free. The BMC is a good product though. Don't misunderstand me. Just pointing out other benifits of having the APR chip

as far as i have been told the one click is just one program....very simple to use. once the standard settings have been taken and saved, you just plug it in the standard chip and the amd info is transferred in and the standard is saved to the oneclick device. takes about 4 mins to do, and from what simon in melb and simon in bris say, you do it yourself.

the bmc cda as far as i have been told does give you 5-7 extra kw's and it is not fitted at that cost.

as a first time audi owner, it is good to see that there are a lot of choices out there.....and i can't wait to play around with the car....i love it

Chux
March 28th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Just had a 50K serviced and had to replace discs and pads. Car stops better now and I'am now looking to chip the car now. Derek would you chip my car from my place next week for $1500 cash?.

$700 off retail? you must be kidding ....

:P

Aussie Audi Guy
March 28th, 2004, 11:20 PM
and a free set of steak knives.......

ea2001
March 29th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Derek would you chip my car from my place next week for $1500 cash?.

Sorry, no. The accountant told me I need to sell products for more than what I bought them for if this buisness is to keep going.
I can give you a trial for FREE though.

Derek

A4PLAY
March 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Sorry, no. The accountant told me I need to sell products for more than what I bought them for if this buisness is to keep going.
I can give you a trial for FREE though.

Derek

LOL. That's a wise accountant you've got there.

5VTurbo why don't u try organise a group buy?

5VTurbo
March 29th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Derek,

The loss leader is a pricing strategy which involves selling products/services at a price that will generate little or no profit and in some cases not even cover all associated costs (marketing, overheads, direct costs, etc).

This may sound crazy but it is a technique that is commonly used to attract customers to their business via a bargain. These bargains will attract customers to your business who may then purchase other products/services even if they don't buy the product that you have initially reduced. This is where you will make up for the loss as you will be selling other items that generate high profits

A trial sounds alright though.

XXX-1.8T
March 29th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I sound like a Costa groupie.
Whichever way you go have fun tuning your car. Tunned S3's are awesome.
Derek

Have i got groupies :shock:

:D

ea2001
March 29th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have been running my own business successfully since 1993.
The sales strategy you suggest I use will work with some businesses but it is not suitable for mine.
This startegy is good for getting people into your store to sell them other services/products at a high profit. This is not what my business is about. The products and services I sell are of a high quality and a fair, good value price.
I see where you got your quote from and it is more related to mass marketing rather than niche, high quality products/services.
http://www.bizhelp24.com/marketing/loss_leader.shtml
That is my view. I do agree what is said on the above website when applied to the right situation.
I will be more than happy to give you the free trial program anytime.
Please telephone me with any further enquiries you may have.
Thanks
Best regards
Derek

Sammyc
March 29th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Don't forget the "Cash Cows".
That's my favourite :big_wink:

And yes, I'm still alive. Just been busy with work.

Turbomike61
March 30th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Now if the free trial was first advertised as a $50 trial, and then a special offer was made as a freebie for a month, then you have the idea behind the system (time to program costs money). Of cause the free promotion would be extended due to popular demand!

5VTurbo
March 30th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I don't mind paying the full amount but I find it hard to see the value in a reflashed chip for a min. of $2200. There's hardly any labour involved in the process, no physical equipment and the development/program design would be no greater than that of mtm etc. Can't really the basis of the cost, what's the mark up? 500%.

5VTurbo
March 30th, 2004, 03:46 AM
You're a bloody rip off Derek. :thumbs_dn:
$2200 and you've got cold start problems? No no not good. :?:

5VTurbo
March 30th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Derek you really need counselling with regard to your chip prices.

5VTurbo
March 30th, 2004, 04:15 AM
C'mon Derek you can't claim that your making @$200-300 per chipped S3, with the numbers of S3s around you would chip @1 or 2 a month. You would make at least $2000 on each chipping.

Kris
March 30th, 2004, 04:59 AM
hey hey.. lets tone this down a bit.

Just a FYI, I think the APR prices are not 'made up' by dealers, rather they are handed down from APR, that said I think all chip companies (MTM, Oettinger, APR, GIAC) do make good money from these upgrades.

Sure, theres some R&D involved but the markup on these is quite high.

Yes, APR had some cold start issues with their product early in the testing phase (which I had with my car) but its since been sorted.

$2200 is alot to pay for a chip, but then again think about how much it would cost to acheive that same power otherwise? Especially if your NA. Most Chip companies are charging around the same price..

XXX-1.8T
March 30th, 2004, 08:32 AM
this is getting funny :D

cant go around calling people ripoffs if everyone else has a similar price :shock:

if ur that determined to buy a cheap chip get a powerchip for $1000 :D

Chux
March 30th, 2004, 08:53 AM
For starters, learn to edit your posts or i will start editing them for you. You don't need to double, tripple or quadruple post.

Secondly, read the forum rules....

If you want to attack someone for no apparent reason ... then you can take that crap somewhere else. This forum was created so that people can share ideas and help each other out.... its not here for you to go and hurl abuse at someone who is just doing their job.

If you think the APR product is overpriced, don't buy it. It's not compulsory, so why are you getting upset about it?

Do some research before you comment on the price of someone's product. You have no idea how much APR spend on development, advertising, staffing etc etc. Paying for this website ....

Where do you think they get their development cars from? do you think Audi donates them? RS6's and S4's don't come cheap you know. And how many variations of each of these cars is there? i know there is at least 5 different ECU codes for my car alone ... probably more.

Yes the actual "chip" itself is literaly worth about 10 minutes of someone's time.... but you pay for the development costs and all of the other associated costs.

5VTurbo
March 30th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Apologies Derek and everyone who was offended. Had a big night out and had too much to drink, really embarassed about my comments.

5VTurbo
March 30th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Chux,

Can you give me some figures for APR chipped S3s?
0-100km/hr?
1/4 mile?
sections?
Before/After Dynos

I sure APRs huge developement costs would include these.

Derek,

I have always been keen on APR and would like you to come over and chip my car after 8pm or 7am. I will pay you the 2.2K cash and you'll probably keep the GST for yourself. I want to see what this APR thing can do as I've really not seen any firm figures.

Chux
March 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Umm, I have an A3 and I don't work for APR :P

but if you are interested in A3 dyno figures and 1/4 times...

14.9 second 1/4
87.5kw stock @ the wheels
116.2kw APR 98 oct
125kw APR 98 oct vtuned

how about you get the trial and see if you like it before you decide to fork out the $2200.

It's free, would be the smart thing to do before you make any decisions.

Where in Sydney are you?

March 30th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Most Chip companies are charging around the same price..

Are they? :beat:

5VTurbo
March 30th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Not too worry about the $$, 2.2K is cheap as chips for a 195kw upgrade . I really don't have the time to go back and forwards. Can you do a search or do you have any data Derek? 0-100km, 1/4mile etc?

ea2001
March 30th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I have always been keen on APR and would like you to come over and chip my car after 8pm or 7am.

5V. Give me a call at work on 9979 4484 and we can arrange something.
Thanks
Derek

Kris
March 30th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Vu, you crack me up :D

I must admit, your posts were most out of character and I had a faint idea you might have been on the bottle :P

You crazy fecker !!! hehehe

Kris
March 30th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Most Chip companies are charging around the same price..

Are they? :beat:

Walter, no one will know unless you actually advertise those prices, and we know you are able to do that on ozAudi with the right $

Hell, you could sell a S3 revo chip and pay for advertising and still come out on top

Seems sensible to me!

Kris
March 30th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Chux,

Can you give me some figures for APR chipped S3s?
0-100km/hr?
1/4 mile?
sections?
Before/After Dynos

I sure APRs huge developement costs would include these.

Derek,

I have always been keen on APR and would like you to come over and chip my car after 8pm or 7am. I will pay you the 2.2K cash and you'll probably keep the GST for yourself. I want to see what this APR thing can do as I've really not seen any firm figures.

Vu, give me a call if you like you can come for a spin :)

ribena
April 4th, 2004, 02:32 AM
:)

ribena
April 4th, 2004, 02:39 AM
In response to angel on bottom of page 1
I put in an AMD chip 1 month after buying my new a4 b6TQ last year. The chip did not stay in my car for more than 2 weeks. I was not happy with my chip at all and simon would not refund. The chip was totally crap. The only difference I could feel was the 1st gear.
The chip was removed straight away and I took it to Derek and got APR stage 1+. It cost me $3000, but its well worth it. The amd cost me $2000, but it all went down the drain. $5000 was the total amount I spent on tuning the stupid computer. I think I would have to stick my thumbs up for APR. You learn from experience.

Kris
April 4th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Ribena, the car was looking good yesterday in George st :)
Your comments re: Simon do not come as a surprise to me, not in the slightest! I've had similar dealings...

angelshox
April 5th, 2004, 12:25 AM
thanks ribena,

i went and saw guy and had the 6hr test of the apr remap....man, it felt really really good, actually i was very pleasantly suprised, as i had a blast in ben's a3 1.8t and it felt a little flat(sorry ben) :oops:

the change has been like night and day. with people's experience on this forum, these "bad" dealings with simon has got me a little worried. also very concerning is the cost. i was quoted $1950, you said you paid $3g's...wow :shock:

anyway, all this extra power has wet my appetite.....i think i may just have to put tuning my car off for a little while, put some money away and go after the stage 3 apr tune...... :twisted:

angelshox
April 5th, 2004, 12:27 AM
:beat: whoops, can't read properly, saw the amd cost $2g's...sounds about right.....but i guess $2000 you would rather have back...thanks for the heads ups :mrgreen:

b5turbo
April 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
i had a blast in ben's a3 1.8t and it felt a little flat(sorry ben) :oops:
I just hope Ben doesn't cry for too long. Keep in mind that his car is using a drive by cable throttle body and has a K03 turbo. This means the top end isn't as good as a car using drive by wire and a K04.

Just ask Chux what it is like to go from a K03 to a kay-ohh-phwar!

Lamat
April 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM
In response to angel on bottom of page 1
I put in an AMD chip 1 month after buying my new a4 b6TQ last year. The chip did not stay in my car for more than 2 weeks. I was not happy with my chip at all and simon would not refund. The chip was totally crap. The only difference I could feel was the 1st gear.
The chip was removed straight away and I took it to Derek and got APR stage 1+. It cost me $3000, but its well worth it. The amd cost me $2000, but it all went down the drain. $5000 was the total amount I spent on tuning the stupid computer. I think I would have to stick my thumbs up for APR. You learn from experience.

Seen alot of bad things about the AmD stuff unfortunately after I'd had a car chipped which had huge flatspots, read somewhere they're not doing the Oneclick thing on the 1.8T now anyway, well it appears they don't develop any of it, they buy it elsewhere from milford microsystems - www.milfordmicros.co.uk