PDA

View Full Version : How Long for Engine to Reach Normal Temp

Mitch
April 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hi Folks,

Was wondering how long it should take a 1.8T engine to reach normal operating temperature - 90 odd degrees. I drive to work each morning and it's not till I get to work that the temp finally hits 90. About a 15 min drive in traffic and harbour tunnel (total 15 min). I'm sure my old A3 was much quicker to warm up. Also the temp warning comes on each morning with the three beeps now it's cooler - is this normal?

Ken VAG
April 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Not sure if this is relevant (as I have the later spec engine in mine) but it takes upward of 10 mins / 5 kms before it hits the normal operating temp of 90C.

No beeping / cold weather warnings though... is there any dash display warning that goes with that?

Turbomike61
April 15th, 2004, 10:27 PM
My roadster takes about 5-10 mins. Does your model have the coolant heating elements? Are they working?

jamesa
April 15th, 2004, 10:38 PM
important distinction; what is being reported on the temp gauge is the coolant temperature, not the oil temp. To be on the safe side, I normally give it at least 5 mins after fluid hits 90 before giving her any herbs

-- james

Mitch
April 16th, 2004, 09:43 AM
No beeping / cold weather warnings though... is there any dash display warning that goes with that?

Yes Ken the red Temperature symbol flashes for about a minute then reverts back to the outside cabin temp.

Does your model have the coolant heating elements?

Not sure Mike, how do I find out?

Lams
April 16th, 2004, 12:07 PM
i had that beep too

try topping your coolant up with a bit of distilled water that should solve the beeping

Mitch
April 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Hey Lams, put 1cm of water in the the bottle and no more beeps in the morning! Even though the level was within the marked range on the bottle before hand.

Lams
April 20th, 2004, 04:59 PM
cool 8)

Guy's the one who taught me this trick so :_b: to guy

Lams
April 20th, 2004, 05:01 PM
oops double posts :shock:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/lams/ugly.gif

Turbomike61
April 20th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Hmmm...Lama version of Shrek