PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying an S3...Need some advice

bts
April 16th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Guys,

A friend of a friend :roll: has an S3 for sale which I'm interested in.

I've yet to see the car, but it's a Silver MY01, one owner with full service history. It has high K's, although I'm told it's under 100.

My questions are:

1. Is there anything I should look out for given the age/K's i.e. Is there a chance that something may break when it hits 100+ k's, etc?

2. What would you say is a fair and reasonable price?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

bts :D

speedyj
April 16th, 2004, 03:16 PM
FOR SALE 2000 MODEL AUDI S3
Quattro 1.8Turbo
The 17-inch "Avus" cast aluminium wheels
Sports suspension,
Recaro sports interior combination of Alcantara and silk nappa leather
Bose Stereo System
6-speed gearbox
Airbag x 4
ABS system with integral Electronic Brake Pressure Distribution (EBD).
Full Service History
62k's
All Original
Condition....Like new

Open to offers

A4PLAY
April 16th, 2004, 03:22 PM
And he'll through in a set of steak knives!!!!

Seriously, try get a NRMA inspection done. worth the piece of mind.
at 90 0000km there is a major service that needs to be done. Audi charges around $1400 for it. see if the service has been done. Involves changing the tensioner.
shop around as well. see what similar cars are going for so you know what is a reasonable price.

Ken VAG
April 16th, 2004, 03:29 PM
1. Is there anything I should look out for given the age/K's i.e. Is there a chance that something may break when it hits 100+ k's, etc?

Timing belt should have been replaced.... not sure for an S3, but I'm guessing the schedule says something like 90K kms or 4 years.

2. What would you say is a fair and reasonable price?

There are S3s in the high 30s / low 40s nowadays, and that typically gets you a pre-MY01 with moderate to high kms. I'd be thinking you'd be talking in the low 40s... but I'm sure some of the S3 owners on here watch the market more than I do... guys?

Kris
April 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Timing belt is the biggie, might be worthwhile inspecting the turbo too..

If you can find one for 30k, good luck. Never ever seen one below $42k and that had HIIIIGH miles

Ken VAG
April 16th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Here's one (at a dealership no less) - who knows what the condition and history will be like though?

http://drive.com.au/buy/used/details_contact.asp?id=1559667&dealer_id=0&make=AUDI&model=S3&series=&location=&lowPrice=&highPrice=&lowYear=&highYear=&body=&trans=&lowKms=&highKms=&keywords=&first_record=0

bts
April 16th, 2004, 03:59 PM
But wait....there's still more!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Any ideas when the timing belt needs to be changed? Do Audi stipulate that it needs to be changed at a set km interval?

Any other major work done in the 90k service other than changing the tensioner?

I guess the price question was more about what you would pay given the age/k's, etc. I agree it's hard to say without seeing the car first though :beat:

A4PLAY
April 16th, 2004, 04:05 PM
http://www.redbook.com.au/Vehiclesearch/price.asp?key=AUDI01AX

The Red book is a good guide

Lima
April 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Con, hold out for an MY02 model mate. More herbs, and supposedly better suspension too. :D

Then, like me, if you work out you can't afford it, get a Cooper S instead! :beat:

bts
April 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
I know what you mean Liam. My aim has always been to get a MY02 or later. As you say, more herbs but also a chance to get something with decent k's.

A friend mentioned I might be able to pick up the MY01 for a decent price so he suggested I look into it. After some time to think, I think I will wait and get what I want even if it takes me another six months.

Congrats on the Cooper S, btw. They're an awesome ride.

I took one for a test drive a couple of months ago as a friend was looking at one. All I can say is WOW. Very impressive :_b:

Cheers,

Con :D

Kris
April 19th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Con,

Thats a good idea and exactly what I did. I nearlly had a 01 lined up, test drove, paper worked out the lot.. Then a 03 turned up with all the goodies with really low kms... I'm SO glad I have the new model now.. resale is loads better..

Best of luck on the hunt, they are a wicked car :D

Cheers
kris

Al Walker
April 19th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Definately go the S3 but whatever you do steer well clear of ex press cars :big_wink: :big_wink: :big_wink:

Lima
April 19th, 2004, 11:27 PM
I know what you mean Liam. My aim has always been to get a MY02 or later. As you say, more herbs but also a chance to get something with decent k's.

A friend mentioned I might be able to pick up the MY01 for a decent price so he suggested I look into it. After some time to think, I think I will wait and get what I want even if it takes me another six months.

Congrats on the Cooper S, btw. They're an awesome ride.

I took one for a test drive a couple of months ago as a friend was looking at one. All I can say is WOW. Very impressive :_b:

Cheers,

Con :D

Thanks, and wise move. Can't rush these car buying decisions. 8)

In fact, I was looking at getting a semi-used/demo MCS. There was a JCW kit with nav/leather/sunroof/pretty much everything at the MINI Garage in Parramatta, they wanted 52K for it. :shock: Pretty damn good price I say, but the rego and kms don't lie. Exec/driver training/press car. It's a tough call though, the car still has warranty, but I want to be driving the car I payed for, not a loaner ... even though loan cars are scientifically proven to be the fastest cars on earth, with the amazing ability to do things one would not normally consider possible! :D

There'll always be another car, so my advice is to just wait an the right time/deal will eventually present itself. Hmm, wanna used Mk4 GTI. 8)

TPIACE
October 7th, 2004, 10:57 AM
im browsing the S3 forum for some info on these cars too, as i want to buy a hot hatch for the daily work commute

was initially considering an R32, but i dont think theyre worth mid 60s.....the S3's look like way better value now at 50odd, its gotta be the update tho with the revised centre console and headlights

I noticed theres quite a few for sale atm on the carsites, should make for easy shopping if/when the time comes

i have never driven an S3 before, but ive read the 1.8T engine is rather boring and coarse at high revs???? My bro is going to buy a new facelifted Cooper S, and i quite like the idea of adding a little hot hatch to the collection. Ill c if any dealers have one so i can drive it

im also trying to do some research on perfomance mods, and the best value mods seem to apr chip, a fmic (tho i dont know brands), forge motorsport diverter valve and some intake work ????

Quattro Zentrum Sport did intake and ecuwork on my 156 so ill c what they offer too, but does anyone know of other tuners in Melb? Also does anyone know of online sites where you can buy Audi parts/accessories?

Lancia
October 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Your right about the engine at high reves. Without an exhaust on the S3 its pointless taking it past 5500. The beauty of it is the torque downlow and very little turbo lag if any. I can take it through the hills in 3rd or 4th without even bothering with a gear change it just pulls when you want it.
The S3 is very refined and depends on what you want. If your looking for a boy racer then dont go an S3. IF your looking for something that is suttle but suprises the hell out of people and isnt cop bait then dont hesitate in the S3. I went from a 156 to the S3 and there is no comparison. A guy down the road from me had a 156 also for a while and yes he could drive very well had no chance getting away through the twisties so it also handles better. I enjoyed the handling of the 156 and am still getting use to the neutral feel of the S3. Im not going to find out the limits on a public road.

scottya31.8t
October 14th, 2004, 01:32 PM
go the s3
if an alfa beat you throught the twisties you are driving way to slow
i have had mine at about 220km on a 60km courner and the rear wheels gave a little but not very much and i have only a a3
no afla should beat the s3 if you want too.
its not a boy racer car but you can have a go at the lights. beats alot of cars that think they are bigger and better but they are not .

Turbomike61
October 14th, 2004, 02:57 PM
i have had mine at about 220km on a 60km courner

:shock:

Black_Mamba
October 14th, 2004, 05:39 PM
That's what I thought too but realised it's probably a typo :)

scottya31.8t
October 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM
no not a typo
it was on the way back from the tompson damm
back down to moe the roads a quite wide and had to nearly all of it
you can realy tell when the tc comes on
the brakes and the engine were working very well
we scared the hell out of the skylines that we pass though the coruners
but it all fun
the a3 will hold when you dont think it will.
you just have to belive in the car

macca
October 15th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I believe in my RS4, but claiming that you can do 220km/h round a 60km/h rated corner says to me that either the signage is incorrect or there are other factors at play (much like when I was fishing the other day and caught this huge..... but thats another story)

Black_Mamba
October 15th, 2004, 01:37 PM
ok.. let me get this straight.. You took a corner which had a yellow advisory sign post of 60Km/h at 220Km/h in your A3 1.8T... This was presumably a public road too.. ?! hmmm.. What can I say.. :beat:

On a bike you can just kill yourself so it's foolish. In a car you can kill plenty of others so it's a bit irresponsible to say the least and remain PC...

macca
October 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Lets get back to the subject of this topic: Just buy the bloody S3, you will not be disapointed. I loved my S3 and only traded to the RS4 cause of the damn baby that still wont come out! A friend of mine bought the S3 and I am always finding excuses to "borrow" it back!

I was invited to drive the GTA when they first came out, I told the dealer that I would come in on the first rainy day... Anyhow it was a very intersting drive, the bloody thing was hopeless and the TC light was on the whole time I was accelerating. After the test drive I took the dealer for a spn in the S3, he was stunned!

The GTA has a top little engine but it needs AWD to make it work properly.

Lancia
November 16th, 2004, 09:55 AM
If your driving on a public road and find you need to move out of your lane to take a corner your going too quick. I would apply that to both bikes and cars! Its keep me alive and out of trouble.

Get to take the S3 to the track in a couple of weeks. Hooray