PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Creek Skid Pan

Chuck
April 27th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Went out to Eastern Creek Skid Pan a few Saturdays ago.

It is good value and a great, low-risk way to see how your car handles on the limit.

There was an interesting mix of cars in our group: 2 Monaros; Mini Cooper S; BMW M Coupe; M3; WRX STi (very worked); WRX; 328i; SS Commodore & XR8.

The S3 was quickest around a long sweeping corner which was set up and as quick as the worked STi through the Slalom. Unfortunately my handbrake wasn't locking the wheels so I couldn't perform quick 180 degree turns.

The day definitely showed the benefits of all wheel drive in the wet, however the rear wheel drive cars had a great time. My standard suspension set-up meant that the understeer became annoying - maybe it's time to consider a suspension upgrade.

Also, spent Wednesday morning getting the car v-tuned. Gained around 6kw at the wheels and reasonable increase in torque.

Kris
April 27th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Sounds like fun :D

Chuck, do you have before and after dyno charts you could post for us?

jamesa
April 28th, 2004, 12:26 AM
how did you organise the skid pan, and how much did it cost?

cheers

-- james

Chuck
April 28th, 2004, 10:01 AM
It was arranged through Moto Concepts

http://www.motoconcepts.com.au/

$140 for the day

daninsyd
May 2nd, 2004, 07:26 PM
hey i reccon we should gather the troups and all go one day...

dog
May 2nd, 2004, 08:15 PM
I am in!

CMY-18T
May 2nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
Count me in too...

Caine

Kris
May 4th, 2004, 02:31 PM
So who's going to organise it???

Maybe the CAA guys of NSW could make it an event???

jamesa
May 5th, 2004, 12:20 AM
if it was made the weekend of the 5th/6th of June, I might be able to make it... would love to come :)

-- james

IML337
May 31st, 2004, 10:31 PM
I was out on the wet skidpad on Thursday on a MINI Australia driver training course, and I agree, it's loads of fun

They even taught us how to do a 180degree spin while reversing at 40km/h, and while spinning, flick into first and have the front wheels spinning, taking off forwards and then do a 180 handbrake turn and go back up to the instructor :D

loads of fun and quite safe

ea2001
May 31st, 2004, 10:43 PM
A friend of mine was there Tim and he said he had a great day too.
Said he couldn't get the hang of the reverse 'hand brake' turn though.

BLOWN3
June 19th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Hey guys,

Sounds like an interesting day!

Is the ground always kept wet (and consistently)? Would make for some good photos and videos of your cars going sideways.

don
June 23rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
yeah.. hope someone organises this soon.. I'll be in and can bring the vid.