PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding the clutch on an A3

Ken VAG
April 28th, 2004, 03:37 PM
G'day all,

I'm not happy with the take-up point on my clutch on my MY01 A3 and am wanting to bleed the system. I've looked through the owners manual and the general maintenance service manual and can't find anything.

Obviously, I can go searching for a bleed screw but want to know which reservoir to fill, if there's any Audi/A3 specific tricks etc.

Any of you guys have a manual that covers this, or advice on the best way to get this done?

Thanks in advance!

Turbomike61
April 28th, 2004, 05:37 PM
You MUST use a pressure bleeder. And DON'T touch the pedal when the bleed nipple is loosened.

April 29th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Has any work been done to the clutch. If something is wrong with the clutch or clutch hydraulics bleeding it won't help. The brake fluid reservoir supplies fluid to the clutch master cylinder. The bleed nipple is on top of the gearbox behind the engine. By memory you have to remove the air filter housing, or pipes to the housing, to get decent access. The Audi workshop manual say to use a pressure bleeder. Opening the nipple with the pedal up and gravity bleeding or normal bleeding should be ok. The master cylinders for the clutch on the A3/S3/TT are prone to stuffing up when bleeding.

Ken VAG
April 29th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Has any work been done to the clutch.

Yep, master cylinder was replaced in November and IMO the take point hasn't been right since.

The master cylinders for the clutch on the A3/S3/TT are prone to stuffing up when bleeding.

Excellent :beat: ..... no wonder I've had difficulty sorting this through official channels.

April 29th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Gravity bleeding won't make it worse or do any damage. And there will be no indication of any work that you have done if you take it to a workshop as long as you keep the fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir at the same mark as when you start. This is what I would do if it was my car.

Chux
April 30th, 2004, 12:13 AM
this is very interesting, when i had gearbox troubles Buckle's decided to change the clutch master cylinder without me even mentioning it, and now that i think about it, the clutch did seem to feel like it did not engage until right at the end of the pedal travel.

Doesn't really matter anymore, the ECS Tuning stage one clutch is fantastic, feels lighter than stock, takes up smoothly just off the floor and still has plenty of holding power.

If i was going to stage III my car or give it lots of hard starts then i would look at something a little more serious like a Spec Stage III clutch or something but for the power my car is making the ECS is perfect.