PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat and Service Indicator

Mitch
October 24th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Picked up the 4 door granny mobile last night and am very happy with it. Just a couple of questions:

1. The Australian supplement to the manual says to turn off the service indicator, hold in the right button in the cluster while turning on the ignition then turn the left button in the cluster anti clockwise....well buggered if I can get it to go out.

2. Is it normal for the A3T to take 10 to 15 mins to warm up? I know my old A3 didn't. And when it finally is warm the temp gauge goes up and down between 70 and 90 depending how hard I'm driving. Thermostat buggered? Is it a mechanical thermostat?

Cheers,
Mitch.

XXX-1.8T
October 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM
could be ur temp sensor, ive had mine fail twice - Thank god for warranty

They are prone to fail :x

Chux
October 24th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Take it down to Derek's and get him to have a look at it for you.

Get the APR demo loaded while you are there... it's free ;-)

Mitch
October 24th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I've just come back from another drive and the temp needle just reads zero now, so I guess it's the sensor.

XXX-1.8T, what's the damage for one of those fitted or didn't they tell you cause of warranty?

Mitch
November 3rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
This morning I got the three beeps and the temp warning light ten seconds after I started the car. I fiddled about with the connection to the radiator overflow bottle which did the trick. The needle still just reads zero all the time. Is the water temp sensor attached to that water bottle or is it in the block somewhere? Is it easy to replace?

XXX-1.8T
November 3rd, 2003, 10:09 AM
They didnt tell me but im pretty sure its not that expensive $100 - $200 mark. Speak to Guy or Derek from Autotech that usually lurk around here.

Lams
November 3rd, 2003, 10:20 AM
hmm

my GTi gets the engine coolant temperature warning, the same 3 beeps almost every morning when i start the car, and it goes out about 2 min later. looks like this is a common problem, i know anthony's GTi also does the same thing. and for us we can't just replace the sensor, we have to replace the whole coolant resevoir so stuff it

XXX-1.8T
November 3rd, 2003, 12:44 PM
The three beeps is normal apparently it just means the engine is really cold and to let the car idle and warm up

The thing which is not normal if the readings on the temp gauge are out of whack eg sits on 90 and then goes colder and then 90 again etc that means ur temps sensor is gone

Aussie Audi Guy
November 3rd, 2003, 05:13 PM
The water temp switch will be near the block (maybe the thermostat), check all connections down the front of the engine block.

The fan is controlled by the switch on the radiator

The one in the resovoir is for water level only.

Dont risk an overheat!

Cheers

Guy

Mitch
November 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Thanks AAG and others, I'll see if I can find a loose connection - funny the temp gauge is working again now, just sits on 90 where it's supposed to. If I can't find a loose connection I'll get it checked out.