PDA

View Full Version : Hot hatch article in SMH's drive

Ken VAG
April 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Anyone else read the hot hatch article in SMH's drive today?

Surprising outcome IMO.... I won't spoil it for you, but grab yourself a copy (or wait until it arrives at http://drive.com.au)

Kris
April 30th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Good on the S3!

It would be nice if they tested a chipped S3 ;) I think they would be like :2cool: :big_grin: :s3_addict: :kiss_rings: :bow_down:

Chux
April 30th, 2004, 03:11 PM
it would be nice if they put a K04 A3 up against the S3 ;-)

XXX-1.8T
April 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM

:rofl1:

OzeTT
May 1st, 2004, 06:39 AM
From Drive:

Audi has sold 377 examples of the S3 in Australia since 1999 (but only one to date this year)

Looks like some bargains to be had.

Kris
May 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM
I know of one person that brought a S3 this year, black in color

jamesa
May 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
heh, that should keep the r32 boys quiet... for a while :)

-- james

Lima
May 1st, 2004, 03:40 PM
heh, that should keep the r32 boys quiet... for a while :)

-- james

Haha, that's cool ... the R32 boys, and MINI boys for that matter, can just read Evo if they need to feel better. :wink:

OzeTT
May 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
About the Mini ........

It is fun and brings a smile to occupants and observers alike, but it's cramped in the back, has only a small boot and was the least practical of the bunch

FFS that's why its called a Mini, and it's drive.com not transport.com

Lima
May 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM
From Evo (http://www.evo.co.uk/) March 2003

The Decider
It's the ultimate superhatch test: Alfa 147 GTA, Golf R32, Focus RS, Audi S3, SEAT Cupra R and Schnitzer Cooper S. Minimum entry requirement: 200bhp. But can any of them beat the new, improved Impreza WRX ...

... Next to be eliminated is the S3. It may be good. It may be classy. But it is getting old and it is rather dull. Not to mention too expensive.

'No-brainer,' reckons Harry. 'You'd take the three grand cheaper Golf every time.' And so you would. Cash considerations kill the Schnitzer Mini's chances, too. It simply doesn't make sense at a basic price of £21,500. Harry's advice is to spend your £7000 elsewhere. 'It finishes this far up the list because the base car is so talented rather than anything the conversion offers on top,' says the boss ...

... Which leaves just two. Impreza or Golf? The previous WRX was woefully off the pace. The revised model has the minerals: more steering feel, punchier power delivery and an altogether sharper sense of purpose.

Dickie: 'Sure it lacks the youthful aggression of the more musclebound superhatches, but the way it dissects a challenging road is something to marvel at. At just under £20K it represents amazing value, not to mention practicality, and while it lacks the visual fizz of the Cupra or the allure of the Alfa, its street cred has been restored.'

Harry's a huge fan, too: 'If you want the real deal in terms of on-road ability, the Impreza is back on top. But for desirability the Golf just pips it.'

That's right: Golf beats Scooby in evo group test. And they said it could never happen. But as you must have gathered by now, the R32 isn't any old Golf. 'It would be easy to scoff and say that all-wheel drive and a 3.2-litre V6 is utterly ridiculous in a hatchback,' says Dickie. 'But the R32 is such a convincing package, all the ingredients seem perfectly justified. It has the presence of an RS Audi and the honed, detailed dynamic polish and behaviour of an original quattro. And all for a measly £22K, something I find amazing. The best hot hatch in ages, not to mention the best VW for ages, perhaps ever.'

For the time being, it really doesn't get any better than this.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_17/car_portal_pic_8635.jpg?525

The thing to remember, of course, is that for every review you can find praising a car, you can usually find one that dumps on it. If you're happy then that's all that really counts IMO.

:D

Kris
May 1st, 2004, 04:10 PM
werd 8)

Sloth
May 1st, 2004, 04:35 PM

As much as I would love the extra power of a K04 on our FWD Golf GTi, I'd still rather an S3 and maybe fit a bigger turbo yet again cos I like to drive fast around corners aswell as in a straight line. :D

Has anyone in OZ fitted a bigger turbo to an S3 yet ??

Kris
May 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Closest thing I know, is a guy with a 225HP TT fitted a Motec M800 & big turbo to his Quattro Coupe.. none in a S3 yet but

jamesa
May 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
Haha, that's cool ... the R32 boys, and MINI boys for that matter, can just read Evo if they need to feel better. :wink:

From Evo (http://www.evo.co.uk/) March 2003

The thing to remember, of course, is that for every review you can find praising a car, you can usually find one that dumps on it. If you're happy then that's all that really counts IMO.

hehe tit for tat huh Liam? I suggest you find a copy of Motor's 2003 PCoTY :)

We've already had this out before, I was surprised you went to the extent of copying/pasting evo in here when that wasn't the article in question though ;)

on the topic of evo, my biggest problem with them is that they seriously lack consistency. A car can be rated very highly on one test then get hammered the next time round. that, and they practice the Motor/Wheels trick of always favouring locally produced cars

-- james

Lima
May 2nd, 2004, 12:07 PM

Is that the one where the Astra Turbo comes out trumps? :D

jamesa
May 2nd, 2004, 11:07 PM

Is that the one where the Astra Turbo comes out trumps? :D

I think you're confusing performance car with bfyb :P

If we're gonna diss magazines, I think evo has serious problems if they can't get an rs4 to outrun a mini! :P

-- james

Haysey
May 3rd, 2004, 05:14 PM
True that motor/wheels go for locally made cars.... theres been a bloody holden on the front cover of motor for like the last year... chipped falcon here supercharged commonwhore there.....
Turn to some euros for a mag will ya.....
MR AUDI

Lima
May 4th, 2004, 05:24 PM
If we're gonna diss magazines, I think evo has serious problems if they can't get an rs4 to outrun a mini! :P

-- james

Haha, it was on some twisty backroads, so maybe the RS4 had a boot load of shopping in it? :D Straight line the MINI would be totally spanked.

Chux
May 4th, 2004, 05:26 PM
I like mini's and i think they are great for what they are ... but hey .. everyone needs to face the facts ...

I'd rather own an RS4 over a Mini any day of the week :P

Lima
May 4th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I like mini's and i think they are great for what they are ... but hey .. everyone needs to face the facts ...

Me too Chux. :wink: But MINIs are a little bit more affordable is all.

Chux
May 4th, 2004, 06:02 PM
you're just buying a mini for the chick pulling power...

Liam - hey baby ... check out my mini ....
Bimbo - oooh its so cute!! can you take me for a ride in it???

Liam - hey baby ... check out my RS4 ...
Bimbo - its a station wagon ... is that your mums car?

:P

jamesa
May 5th, 2004, 12:16 AM

Me too Chux. :wink: But MINIs are a little bit more affordable is all.

for the $$$ there's not much I'd rather own, either ;)

you're just buying a mini for the chick pulling power...

Liam - hey baby ... check out my mini ....
Bimbo - oooh its so cute!! can you take me for a ride in it???

Liam - hey baby ... check out my RS4 ...
Bimbo - its a station wagon ... is that your mums car?

:P

haha! the fog on liam's intentions lifts! just don't tell his wife :beat: :D

-- james

Lima
May 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Something like that!