PDA

View Full Version : Radio Removal Tool DIY

zzzz-best
March 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Searched across the net to get accurate specs for the radio removal tool and couldn't find any numbers. I've heard some people say that its hard to get it accurate and only got working tools after multiple tries. But I disregarded those comments and went about doing it myself.

Usual disclaimers apply, I take no responsibility for any actions/damage this guide may cause etc

To make your own removal tools youll need:
Angle Grinder + eye protection
hacksaw blade
File (optional)

Even though the Concert radio needs two tools you can get away with just 1. Just do each side seperately.

Chances are that the blade will be too thick so you should work on that first. Etch some sort of guide and make it slightly under 1cm in thickness

Then youll need to make a pointy bit at the end. Took me a few tries to get the right angle. I ended up with around 20 degrees. This is possibly the most important thing to get right. If the angle is too steep, the tool just didn't want to go in.

You can then snap the end of the point off. Just make sure you round the edge off indicated in the picture, otherwise you'll have to jiggle the tool a lot to get it all the way in.

Final step is to just cut a notch in the tool, It seems to help pull the radio out a bit easier. My notch didnt end up being very neat but it seems to work anyway.

Final step is to just file the rough edges a bit, otherwise it won't slide into the slot properly.

Now hopefully your tool fits in the slot properly. Mine needed a little bit of force to get all the way in. Jiggling helps a bit. I'm just assuming my tool was slightly out of the right specs. But it gets the radio out and thats all that matters to me :-D

Took me about half an hour to do this with a bit of trial and error. Wasn't difficult at all and with the correct measurements I'd guess that it would be a lot faster

Heres a link on instructions on how to use the tools to get it out:
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/DM-20-22.pdf

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=395&d=1206781155

dcc236
March 31st, 2008, 11:08 PM
Or you could buy 4 x small metal nail files (about $3 in total) and use those. I've been using mine for about 7 years for work on a few B5's and a couple of B6's.

zzzz-best
April 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM
IMO, they don't hook onto the radio and let u pull them out too well. Plus jamming a file in there would mean youre scratching up the radio everytime you pull it out

Greenlitre
April 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
CD ERROR3? Ha!! I now laugh at you CD ERROR3!!!
Thanks so much for the specs there zzzz-beast! Worked a treat.

Cheers GL

groovetek
September 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
or you can buy the tools from audi themselves for $8.60

rabenjamin
September 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Well I can't buy them from Audi.
I asked and Audi said they are workshop only tools, not for sale.
I also called a car stereo place here in Canberra and they said they have workshop only tools, do not sell them. But they cost around a $100.

Alister
September 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM
or you can buy the tools from audi themselves for $8.60

Well I can't buy them from Audi.
I asked and Audi said they are workshop only tools, not for sale.

I've also been told the same by local Audi dealers.

I bought a set from a dealer in Europe when I was over there some time ago though.

Aussie Audi Guy
September 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Not expensive from ebay if its any help!

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=audi+radio+tool&category0=

NucMed
September 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Or, failing any of that, get them from VAG Parts in the UK, or eBay ........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Genuine-stereo-removal-keys_W0QQitemZ110221496227QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10372 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

I've also been told the same by local Audi dealers.

I bought a set from a dealer in Europe when I was over there some time ago though.

curik
September 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Lol, I bought them from the dealer for $8. Cant beat that price!

NucMed
September 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Care to share which dealer where and when?

Lol, I bought them from the dealer for $8. Cant beat that price!

petermca4
September 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I just bought them from eBay for about 6 bucks delivered

curik
September 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM
It was from Audi Centre Melbourne, he didn't even ask and placed an order right away. The tools arrived a day later.

Insidr
May 1st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Any dealer can order and sell the tool. Part number is 4D0 051 530 for a pair. If you call them dont ask for it as a tool, just ask to order that part number.

Taibo
November 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
thanks...made removing easier!