PDA

View Full Version : required suspension mods for 19" wheels?

Ernie
June 25th, 2004, 12:42 AM
hi

i was wondering what you ppl think i should do to upgrade the suspension to run 19" wheels on my A3 chassis car with rubber bands for tyres (u know what i mean)

i've had fancy coil overs once b4 (on a japanese car)..and whilst i found them great for track use..they needed to be rebuilt rather quickly (every 50,000km)...and required maintanence....(otherwise the hieght adjust thing would sieze, ie rust)...

the ride was so firm..it would make me sick (sydney roads aren't flat).

any chance of getting away with a 2" drop with just upgraded shocks and springs?.

- Ernie

BENA3T
June 25th, 2004, 11:11 AM
id be pretty keen to see how they look!!! my first suggestion would be to maybe think about 18s, if u look at the side profile of an A3 with 18s youll see they dominate the bloody thing as it is...
id say the ride comfort would be solidly sacrificed nomatter what suspension u used....ur gonna feel every single pebble u run over :P
driving my A3 with 18s normally ill feel any reasonable bump like its a 8 inch hole in the road....driving dads a4 with the 17s its like floating on a cloud (different suspension obviously, but both moderately solid setups)
19s would look absolutely insane (given u can find some that a) fit and b) suit) but i often find myself wondering (normally after a solid bump) why i just didnt go with the 17s....if the difference between 17-18 and 18-19 is anywhere near linear...id hate to imagine what 19s would feel like....youd want the softest suspension u could get ur hands on prolly softer than stock :P
if u get em on post pics anyways!!! loking forward to see what u choose
cheers
ben

Ernie
June 28th, 2004, 01:40 AM
hi

i've had 18s b4..looks ok....but since my car doesn't move.....(its not even a turbo) might as well go all for show..

tempe have a set of 19x7 wheels that have me interested...if i scratch them i won't cry since they are cheap wheels anyway

see what happens

=)

BENA3T
June 28th, 2004, 02:05 AM
yer man why not? i know deep down id prolly still get em on mine if i could heheheh....i just hope your interior doesnt rattle after 5 kms with them on heeheh...what wheels are they? also with wheels like that youll have to get a big chain with a $ sign hehehe pimp it up
what colour is the car?
cheers ben

Ernie
July 16th, 2004, 12:40 AM
my car is black

the wheels and tyres are $2500..for 19s..so thats pretty cheap...really heavy cast wheels..

i've only got eibach springs..now..dunno how low they are..but since i knackered the front lip at the local shopping centre (local..as in i can see it from my home..but i drove since its cold in sydney)...

black..slightly lowered...with 19s...should look alright..since i've got the stereo out of the way now..

mate..the car is euro..shouldn't rattle since the built quality is good...ride will be crap though..

my brakes will be tiny (almost non existant). :evil: Like all + 4" fittaments...bearings will wear faster, clutch, brakes..etc..from extra weight of wheels..

BENA3T
July 16th, 2004, 03:08 AM
trust me ull get rattles.....even euro cars do....dads A4 does....mine does....i dont think were just unlucky...or maybe im just really anal about sound.....but i reckon u should go for it...yer youll also want to consider brake upgrades...they look pathetci on mine....add an extra inch and it may look ludicrous!!! show me pics when ur done anyways!!!
cheers
ben

Ernie
July 16th, 2004, 06:44 AM
no worries ben

i'll keep you posted =)

Ken VAG
July 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM
It'd be worth checking out the gallery to get a feel of sidewall heights in various sizes... this will give an indication of future ride quality (although the feel will vary by tyre brand / pattern and also your suspension)...

Gallery
http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules.php?name=coppermine

My A3T on 17s (dealer fitted, plenty bumpy enough for me on Sydney roads)
http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10022/8-P1010095%7E0.JPG

Ben's A3T on 18s
http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10099/109_0946.JPG

Chux's A3T on 18s
http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/a3wisemans.jpg

Restless A3T on.... dunno, but I'm guessing 18s or 19s?
http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10377/IMG_1799smaller.JPG

Sorry for the post pics sizes but I'm on dial up so don't have the facility to resize quickly.

ResTlesS
July 16th, 2004, 07:34 PM
:shock: MINE are 18s... lol puttin my pic up and saying their 17s!!! :evil: lol deep dish make em look smaller :|

ResTlesS
July 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM
sorry my bad... read it wrong... :beat: :beat: :beat: :mrgreen:

Ernie
July 17th, 2004, 12:32 AM
mmm......18" lenso lws...cpo-35R copies...cool...

went to the shop today..had a look at the wheels....

excuse the expression..but they made my car look "fully sik"....not the look i'm after =(

did more research......if i fit 19s...thats really pushing it.....and since the car is lowered..i'll be driving with the driveshafts at an angle...so it will stuff...the cw joints and the shafts themselves..

ie..when it comes time to putting the stock wheels on...when u give it a hit..and back off in 2nd or 3rd..u will hear a small humming sound.....bent driveshafts... :evil:

Ken VAG
July 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM
sorry my bad... read it wrong... :beat: :beat: :beat: :mrgreen:

No problems ResTlesS.... what size rubber are you running....? The sidewalls look really tiny, like you spend your evenings wrapping rubber bands around the rims!

Ernie, I think what I'm hearing is that 18" can be done reasonably safely, 19" introduces lots of unknowns.... perhaps you can find some 18s that give you the look you want (and also save on rubber costs)?