PDA

View Full Version : Whether to Lather the Leather or not to Lather the Leather

Mitch
October 29th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Well I think I've already decided that lathering the leather (cleaning it). will be a waste of time. But is the alternative too drastic?

The beige leather really is quite dirty in the front seats of my A3T - yes I know I haven't posted any pics yet, I tried yesterday but the batteries ran out in my camera!

I took the car to Sydney Motor Trimmers in Alexandria for a quote and they said they need re-colouring. They have to take all the seats out and respray them for a cost of around $700 - $800 all up. I asked about the air bags in them and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I thought to myself.... yeah right, until you have to put them back in again and my dash goes off like a freakin xmas tree!

This guy also said, in his opinion it's not OEM leather. I checked the new car delivery slip from Scotts Audi Artarmon and it says leather. Would Scotts or any other dealer do their own leather after the car landed from Germany and then sell it as Audi leather? Well it wouldn't surprise me I guess.

Opinions appreciated.
Cheers,
Mitch.

XXX-1.8T
October 29th, 2003, 04:15 PM
I know in some cases euro cars leather interior is done in Australia. All the euro manufacturers do it.

Ken VAG
October 29th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Cleaning leather

I have a former colleague who is in the automotive leather cleaning / restoring business. He is the Australian distributor for a product called Leatherique, which is apparently big with the Rolls Royce club amongst others. Give John a call, tell him I sent you - I worked with him in a former life at Unisys. Ask him for advice.... cleaning and restoring leather is what he does.

http://www.leatherique.com/distributors.htm

I did mine according to John's instructions shortly after I bought the car. It came up fairly well, although a couple of deep scuffs remain. Being a light colour, it is beginning to soil again, so I'm thinking it is a once every 6-12 months job.

Factory or aftermarket leather

Interesting question - this is what mine looks like (brochure shot - mine isn't tiptronic or LHD but you get the drift):
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/kenbarry/audi/a3_aztec_interior.jpg

Is all the stitching / styling the same on yours? I'm told mine is factory leather (although who knows, really)....

elisiX
October 29th, 2003, 05:14 PM
In most cases the leather is imported but cut/installed here in Australia.

That is the case with AlfaRomeo, not sure about MB, BMW or VAG.

The leather in my Alfa is Momo and comes from Italy but is installed by a local manufacturer.

AA003
October 29th, 2003, 08:55 PM
I know that a workshop at Bankstown Airport had the contract with Audi for retrimming Audi seats in leather. They were trimming them by the hundreds a few years ago. :blue_s4: