PDA

View Full Version : APR chip versus Wetterauer

a3page
June 30th, 2004, 01:46 AM
hi all,

since i got my audi a3t, i've been doing some research on chip tuning. i know this site is sponsored by APR, but i would like to get answer from this board about other chips that provides the same chip tuning performance.

Wetterauer in particular i'm more query about, on thier website they claim it will bring the 110kw a3t to 140kw. now, i'm not sure if this is the same comparison to the APR 1 bar chip tuning.

now why would you choose an APR chip over a Wetterauer or even other german, americian brand.

TIA for all replies

XXX-1.8T
June 30th, 2004, 01:48 AM
have u heard of oettinger theres another german brand

also german brand is MTM :)

both produce more than 140kw

for details checkout

www.mullerandmuller.com

www.tccamotorsport.com.au

a3page
June 30th, 2004, 01:50 AM
please also include factors like:
> ISO approved instruments
> Pricing
> detectable by dealers.
> and other factors a newbie like me doesn't know about.

TIA again.

a3page
June 30th, 2004, 01:53 AM
wow xxx, u live on the board or something, that's one quick reply. i heard of oettinger, now why would u chose them over APR? do u have an oetinger installed in your car?

what i'm enquiring is that for all the chips providing the same power output, what differs from each one?

TIA again and again!

Turbomike61
June 30th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Most of the big names are quality tuners. Model dependant, some offer direct port programming, others have to physically change the chip. They may have different driving characteristics (power bands), but most deliver similar power. After sales service may be a big factor in your purchase. Find the dealers closest to you and hear their speal, ask others of their experiences. Remember that some owners may be loyal to a particular brand, and may not be impartial.

Good luck!

XXX-1.8T
June 30th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Most of the big names are quality tuners. Model dependant, some offer direct port programming, others have to physically change the chip. They may have different driving characteristics (power bands), but most deliver similar power. After sales service may be a big factor in your purchase. Find the dealers closest to you and hear their speal, ask others of their experiences. Remember that some owners may be loyal to a particular brand, and may not be impartial.

Good luck!

What Mike said!

Where are u located?

Yes i have the oettinger chip and i am very happy :)

But most chips are the same except they deliver power differntly

Again cos chips are very similar after market service is what differentiates here :)

BENA3T
June 30th, 2004, 03:20 AM
i got a certain brand and im really happy with it (keeping in mind that no amout of power is ever enough)....i feel the power delivery curve is similar to the stock chart but a chunk higher, and the rev limiter is maybe 500 or so higher i think????....like costa said...all the tuners on this forum are quality....a few of the hardcores seem to like having a go at each other which is prolly more to their and the forums detriment than good...if u have a car that is drive by wire direct port programing is a good thing....u can load the program into ur ecu and see how it feels for a set time....then decide.....im not sure which tuners have this available but its good...try b4 u buy sort of deely...another big factor is which tuner ur close to....i know in syd its not so much of an issue cause there quite a selection...ah well im rambling...good luck!!!

bitemebw
June 30th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I've had both.

Both are good. It all depends on who does you aftersales service. One chip being better than the other I think is crap IMHO. In my time i've had an oettinger, wett and APR chip. They all have slightly different personalities but no real difference in 0-100 times really. Find someone with experience and trust. The port programmable chips are a bonus as you can try them out before you buy.

Cheers,
BM.

EZZY
July 1st, 2004, 12:01 AM
wow xxx, u live on the board or something, that's one quick reply.

hahahaaa... havent you noticed...... xxx-18t is da post whore of ozaudi (just check the amount of posts he've made so far..... almost 4 figures) :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

i heard of oettinger, now why would u chose them over APR? do u have an oetinger installed in your car?

oh, in case you didnt know, xxx-18t is the unofficial salesman for paul at MM :club: :club: :club: hahahaaaa j/k

okay, on a serious note, it all depends on where you are at. from my personal experience.... i got a chip from a melbourn supplier and im in sydney...... tried to get my factory tt chip back when i was selling the car, and after a few tries, i gave up. i dont think i'd get the same chip again......

e

XXX-1.8T
July 1st, 2004, 12:14 AM
wow xxx, u live on the board or something, that's one quick reply.

hahahaaa... havent you noticed...... xxx-18t is da post whore of ozaudi (just check the amount of posts he've made so far..... almost 4 figures) :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

i heard of oettinger, now why would u chose them over APR? do u have an oetinger installed in your car?

oh, in case you didnt know, xxx-18t is the unofficial salesman for paul at MM :club: :club: :club: hahahaaaa j/k

okay, on a serious note, it all depends on where you are at. from my personal experience.... i got a chip from a melbourn supplier and im in sydney...... tried to get my factory tt chip back when i was selling the car, and after a few tries, i gave up. i dont think i'd get the same chip again......

e

LOL!

For the record APR never existed in oz when i got my chip :D

Turbomike61
July 1st, 2004, 12:32 AM

Most of them about the Greek soccer team. :beat:

EZZY
July 1st, 2004, 12:35 AM

Most of them about the Greek soccer team. :beat:

yeah, me gf just told me that the greeks made the semi final......... should be a good game.

e

XXX-1.8T
July 1st, 2004, 01:27 AM
http://www.francofoot.net/images/smiles/greekeu01.gif

:mrgreen:

a3page
July 1st, 2004, 01:54 AM
yeah, go the greeks

i'm in melbourne. i have some contact with QSZ with is the sole dist. of wett chips.

now if i say i drive my a3t daily, (when i mean daily, it's like 50kms per day, 7days a week), which chip would i be looking at? are different brands tune to different driving style?

sorry for the noob question, but i'm here to learn and u guys are good.

TIA!

XXX-1.8T
July 1st, 2004, 02:01 AM
if ur in Melb and have contacts with Simon stick with him as the Wett chip is a good product from reports and im sure you would get good service from them if u have contacts there :D

OzeTT
July 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Yeh, if you know Simon and are in Melbourne, go with Wett. I've had 2 Wett chips in daily drivers. No problems.

Turbomike61
July 1st, 2004, 01:28 PM
What about after sales service?

Didn't QSZ just have a closing down sale?

Rocketship
July 2nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure what is happening with Simon and whether he is still trading.
The may be some issues with Wett as well .... besides all the gossip and crap why would Simon start doing AMD chips which is another alternative if he is still operating.

My pref. is for GIAC because I have tried Wett as well. Lucas (GIAC) offers try before you buy and is in Melb so good back up and best prices.
Come to the next Club meeting on Thursday 8th July.
La Fiamma 682 - 690 Warrigal Rd. Malvern East. 7.30pm and talk to different people to get a few opinions and experience one or two.

Once you experience a chip it is like chalk & cheese :D best mod "BFYB"

ea2001
July 2nd, 2004, 12:25 PM
I spoke to Simon a couple of days ago and he told me its business as usual.

CMY-18T
July 2nd, 2004, 07:04 PM
I know I am going to get shot down by saying this - but I have the APR chip and have raced two cars (1 from lights and one rolling start) both of which had the Oettinger chip. They both had big exhausts and one had a lot more done AND I had my wife with me both times. I beat one (the less moded one) and was noticably catching to other.

I have the A3T.

OK all - start shooting....

C

XXX-1.8T
July 2nd, 2004, 08:37 PM
I know I am going to get shot down by saying this - but I have the APR chip and have raced two cars (1 from lights and one rolling start) both of which had the Oettinger chip. They both had big exhausts and one had a lot more done AND I had my wife with me both times. I beat one (the less moded one) and was noticably catching to other.

I have the A3T.

OK all - start shooting....

C

hahahaha yeah ok ill give ya that 1 but its hard to race when u have a slipping clutch and no rubber :D

Ask Chux he knows the feeling ;)

BTW whos was that other oettinger A3?

Once i get this sorted we'll line up again :D

BTW did u find an S3 8)

Rocketship
July 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Derek, did Simon say if he was moving to another premises?? My sources are 3rd hand and I don't want to spread untruths :oops: but apparently his business place was all closed up and there was a for lease sign??
Plus the clearance sale??

Cheers Bruce.

Chux
July 3rd, 2004, 10:51 AM
The clearance sale was being advertised for months before any of this closing down stuff was brought up.

Rocketship
July 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
But that doesn't explain the closed up look of his shop and for lease sign. He may have just planned to exit stage right months ago if business wasn't going too good???
Thought he may be working from home or mobile but he still has his address on web site.
Might have to go for a drive to check it out 8)

EZZY
July 3rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
oh, btw, i wasnt referring to QSZ in my pervious post :)

e

ea2001
July 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Don't know about the premises but all I asked him was is he closing down and he told me business as usual.

July 3rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
I have been told that Simon is not doing Wetterauer chips anymore. The agent for Wett in Adelaide has stopped representing it too, unfortunately without a clear explanation. There seems to be a great deal of ambiguity of its representation in Australia and its general distribution worldwide. I could put forward more discussion but I will most likely get flamed for being anti something. I guess time will tell as to whether Wetteraruer will remain in Australia. For the moment I would probably suggest you wait before trying to buy thier product or if you can't wait go for a different tuner.

keep it on the road.