PDA

View Full Version : Chips and aftermarket computers.

Lepperfish
July 2nd, 2004, 07:27 PM
Ok, I am a newbie with Audi vehicles, but instead of chipping your cars why arentnyou adding a full aftermarket computer to them?
Wouldnt this net better results as more precise tuning is available with an aftermarket ECU?! BTW, how much are the chips you guys have been referring to? ?

Kris
July 2nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Most chips for the A3/S3 range from $1500 to $3500 with options.

Full after market systems are complex , expensive and unless you have signifcant engine modifications, are a unnessecary expense. A chip and exhaust gives the A3/S3 very good useable power for a minimal outlay.

Its also proven and tested, there are liteally ten's of thousands of cars that run various chips with many many miles without issues.. Its the safest, cheapest and most effective way to get good gains from the engines..

EZZY
July 2nd, 2004, 09:03 PM
.... and on top of what kris said, those aftermarket computers are for "races" only, ie. it is illegal to have them on street cars.

i know there are many ppl out there with aftermarket computers, but if you have a chance, read the box and 98% of the aftermarket computers will have "this device is for race/off street use only". i know that because i used to have one in my other mazda.

e

Lepperfish
July 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Dude, 98% of aftermarket accessories for cars arent street legal,
who cares, they market it for us so ofcourse were going to buy it,,
I know allabout aftermarket computers, just not " chips " for audi's/.

EZZY
July 2nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
Dude, 98% of aftermarket accessories for cars arent street legal,who cares, they market it for us so ofcourse were going to buy it

very true, i agree with you mate :big_wink: . i have a mazda and got defected to some "**** house" level almost 4 years aog by rta/epa, to this day, i can not get it back on the road :thumbs_dn: if i had another chance, it'd do it a different way.

and the funny thing is..... ppl always bitch about the cops/rta/epa when they get defetced because of those items fitted to their cars :beat: :beat: :beat:

I know allabout aftermarket computers, just not " chips " for audi's/.

chipping a car is alot easier than putting an aftermarket computer. no wiring and no need to find extra space for the unit. APR has direct porting thingy which makes "chipping" alot quicker and more tuning friendly than some other brands. i had a chip on my TT before, the factory chip has to come out, then a new chip to be soldered on to the ECU, it took a little while.

e