PDA

View Full Version : New A3 impressions....

Aussie Audi Guy
July 8th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Spent a couple of hours at my local dealer, and apart from checking out the Gallardo mechanical's, driving a Lotus Exige with custom paint (note - my back still hurts from getting in & out of the thing :cry: ) I took the TDI DSG out for a spin. This is my pick of the current group, the 2.0 fsi is nice, but we want to modify them! DSG is great, better suited to this engine than the TT 3.2 I have driven, great torque, much stiffer chassis - Hill starts take some getting used to with the DSG... :?

Interior space :D :D :D

Had another one up on the hoist, there would not be a single part left from the old model, the rear multi link suspension runs in its own separate subframe, Aero panels under each side, the front subframe is alloy now & used for attachment of the suspension, the motor & box swings more off the chassis now.

Big long doors - dont park too close to other cars!

Verdict - buy one - well worth the 47 odd grand!

L88
July 8th, 2004, 02:30 PM
We have one in my workshop right now. New A3 2.0 FSI. Dolphin. Niii-iiice. Its like the tardis, small on the outside, big on the inside. Very well put together, nice quality. Didn't drive it far (about 50 feet from the driveway into the shop) but it felt solid. Another winner, Audi. But the S4 is still on the shopping list before the A3...

storms_of_fate
July 12th, 2004, 09:45 PM
I had a test drive of the thing over the weekend, and it is fantastic! Worth the money you have to pay for sure. Okay its a bit diferent from the current Clio Sport i have, but... but... its just nice and feels like you are operating a precision instrument. Easy to drive.

But, I think i'm going to be a pretend Audi owner here for a little while, the Clio is only10 months old, selling now is not worth it, plus I really want the sporback, in particular the Turbo... have to wait till jan or something. but I have never been so impressed with a car straight up.

OzeTT
July 12th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Guy,

How did you like the S2 Exige ?
Great car, but hard to keep in the > 6200 rpm powerband on the road.
To save your back, take the roof off b4 you get in :)

Aussie Audi Guy
July 13th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I loved it - I love any car that comes stock with sticky race / street tyres that will only last about 5,000km's.

Couldnt work out a practical use to justify one (except "I need a new toy" :mrgreen: )

storms_of_fate
July 13th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Couldnt work out a practical use to justify one (except "I need a new toy" :mrgreen: )

sounds like a pretty good reason to me??? hehe love Elises myself, and the Lotus Seven variants that a lot of clubman cars are based on.

auditwmba
July 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but ....

I drive Jim Murcott's Lotus Super 7 at a driving course run at Winton Raceway. This car had won the Australian GT (or Sports Car) championship (I think) during the early 1980's. What a beast.

I'll willingly admit it scared the c**p out of me. The acceleration and grip (for a vehicle of that era) was incredible. It felt like you strapped yourself to a fibreglass rocket that could turn corners.

Too bad that car was destroyed in a fire a couple of years later.

Ahh, the things you do while you're young.

Rob

OzeTT
July 13th, 2004, 12:52 PM
I loved it - I love any car that comes stock with sticky race / street tyres that will only last about 5,000km's.

Yep, put those A048 babies on my car, grips to eternity in the dry with no wheelspin either. No longer can lock up brakes, so who needs ABS. However in the wet its drift city.

Who buys cars for a practical reason ?

OzeTT
July 13th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but ....

I drive Jim Murcott's Lotus Super 7 at a driving course run at Winton Raceway. This car had won the Australian GT (or Sports Car) championship (I think) during the early 1980's. What a beast.

I'll willingly admit it scared the c**p out of me. The acceleration and grip (for a vehicle of that era) was incredible. It felt like you strapped yourself to a fibreglass rocket that could turn corners.

Rob

Sorry to continue the hijack,

but yep know how you feel. Drove a Caterham 500 superlight in the UK recently (230horses in a 450kg car) - head still reeling

storms_of_fate
July 13th, 2004, 10:57 PM

The Hyundai drivers. And people who bought really small japanese vans.

jamesa
July 14th, 2004, 01:49 AM

The Hyundai drivers.

I didn't think they were so much practical as just cheap

the other thing - it's hardly like Audi's are impractical - have your cake and eat it too :)

-- james

Turbomike61
July 14th, 2004, 10:48 AM
There's nothing practical about driving a death trap with strut mounts that break off. But if that's all you can afford......

July 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM
According to my memory not long after Hyundai had their subframe recall Audi had a recall on A3 wheel bolt coming loose and a recall for A3 ABS control units catching on fire and a recall for A3 rear seat belt mounts not strong enough and a recall on A3 belt tensioners burning occupants when deployed.