PDA

View Full Version : Blow off Valves/Intake Pipes

paulA3
July 11th, 2004, 11:39 AM
I have a 98 A3T stock, except for a Remus exhaust and replacement K&N airfilter. Ive decided its time for a few more mods, but my knowledge isn't the best. Ive done some research on BOV's and intake pipes, but am still quite not sure which way to go. Im after a BOV that does the job without the noise and the only intake pipes Ive found are Samco. Am I wasting my time and hard earned, or will these items improve the cars performance? Would appreciate any feedback (including suppliers) from all you Audi guru's.

Take it Easy
Paul

Turbomike61
July 11th, 2004, 12:41 PM
What you are looking for is not a BOV, but a DV (diverter valve). Your car has one as standard (and known to fail), and there are a number of aftermarket ones. Forge and GFB are amoung the best.

Oettinger also make an intake pipe, and the economics of making one in Australia is being investigated.

Where are you based?

July 11th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Your not going to gain anything as your not really pumping a lot of air in standard guise. You could replace the DV at any stage as they are known to fail and i think the aftermaret valves like GFB are great. I wouldn't bother doing the samco hoses unless you intend to get more power, doing the hoses will not increase power alone.

j0eLLL
July 13th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Ch...Ch...Chip it! :D

storms_of_fate
July 13th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Ch...Ch...Chip it! :D
I think so too, since you've got the intake and exhaust already you will need a chip tuning to make the most of the new flow system, and i beilieve with a new flow system you car would be running lean? Hence new engien management software tuning. where are you based? In melb, ther eis this place called QSZ. www.qsz.com.au they seem to have pretty good knowlege with their stuff, and they do quiet a bit of Audi/VW things, mostly german cars, which is then weird to see Renault in it. But anyway I bought my BMC CDA from them, even though I am in Sydney. Maybe you could throw them an Email, Chris is the guy that runs the place. And see what they suggest?

Boomtownmouse
July 14th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Eh you might run lean in a car without a sophisticated ECU and MAF, but those mods arent going to move enough air to push the design parameters at stock boost.

Your just gonna get alot more power out of a chip.

paulA3
July 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM
On Friday, Derek from European Autotech (Mona Vale) installed a plumb back GFB diverter valve ($250) in my stock 1998 A3T (with K&N filter, Remus exhaust). The vehicle is not any quicker but the driveability has greatly improved. The car doesn't surge anymore during acceleration and it is much smoother, backfiring has also been non existant since installation. Very happy with the results and the service provided by the boys at European Autotech. Thanks to all who provided feedback, especially TurboMike and Wal for the great information. Now the hard task is convincing the wife (she thinks its a waste of money) to Chip it. Any good sales techniques would be handy, ha ha.

karlblues2
July 19th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Now the hard task is convincing the wife (she thinks its a waste of money) to Chip it. Any good sales techniques would be handy, ha ha.
Tell her about the potential improved fuel economy :big_wink: :big_wink: And if your car is packaged, then , obviously by the sound of it, the ECU is faulty and needs replacing / repairing which comes out of pre-tax money and therefore is practically half price .........my dear :_b:

Lima
July 19th, 2004, 06:17 PM
It's easy Paul ... don't tell her! :D