PDA

View Full Version : A3 3.2 DSG

OzeTT
July 25th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Thinking of trading my off lease A4 for this.

Anyone here driven one yet ?
Derek, does APR have a program for this yet ?

Carlos
July 25th, 2004, 06:33 PM
They're 85k on road :?

I don't even think they have arrived yet

They hadn't a few weeks ago

IML337
July 25th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I don't think they'll be here for a few months yet, and I'm thinking I might grab another Cooper S instead anyway, as by the time I option up a 3.2 A3 it'll be getting bloody expensive :(

OzeTT
July 26th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Still reasonable value when compared to other Euros such as Alfa GT, 330Ci. A3 has more power and torque, and is the only one with quattro and DSG manual box.

IML337
July 26th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Still reasonable value when compared to other Euros such as Alfa GT, 330Ci. A3 has more power and torque, and is the only one with quattro and DSG manual box.

Well after driving a Golf R32 the other night on some familiar roads, the AWD is a huge bonus but my Cooper S is quicker in a straight line than the Golf :) (we proved it)

Different cars for different tastes though - MINI is much less refined and more involving. The R32 would almost be more sporting than the 3.2 A3 too, I would have thought.

And I personally wouldn't compare an Audi A3 to a car like a BMW 330Ci or an Alfa GT? I didn't think the new A3 was up in those classes...? I guess the new A3 is a bit of a leap ahead of the old one though.

Lima
July 26th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Interesting Tim ... will have to catch up more about that little drive. 8)

Incidentally, I find the MINI pretty easy to drive. I remember you saying it was a lot more involving and even harder, but as you know, it is just so much fun that you look forward to every drive ... even more so when it's off the road for extended periods of time. :cry:

OzeTT
July 26th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Well after driving a Golf R32 the other night on some familiar roads, the AWD is a huge bonus but my Cooper S is quicker in a straight line than the Golf :) (we proved it)

I'm impressed. Your MCS is still standard right but put out those impressive figures on the dyno day. Doesn't the DSG have launch control or something similar, or did it just bog down on the line as the haldex somtimes does.

Lima
July 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM
DSG is not available on Aus spec R32s. :cry:

IML337
July 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I'm impressed. Your MCS is still standard right but put out those impressive figures on the dyno day. Doesn't the DSG have launch control or something similar, or did it just bog down on the line as the haldex somtimes does.

The car was 141bhp at the wheels standard, but now it's almost 165bhp at the wheels ;) (I must admit the R32 was standard the the Cooper S was modified).

The R32 was also a manual, not DSG. Still, oodles of grip, but if you get it right in the MINI, it's curtains for the porky golf :(

The Golf is a much more relaxed drive though, and Liam, your new car has a completely different (and much nicer) clutch to mine, and Canberra doesn't have any of that stuff we Sydneysiders call "traffic" either... :)

Lima
July 26th, 2004, 01:30 PM
The Golf is a much more relaxed drive though, and Liam, your new car has a completely different (and much nicer) clutch to mine, and Canberra doesn't have any of that stuff we Sydneysiders call "traffic" either... :)

True. :wink:

Sloth
July 26th, 2004, 02:41 PM

True. :wink:

Didn't they recently change the gearing/ratios (maybe even just for first gear) or am I on another planet ?

IML337
July 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Didn't they recently change the gearing/ratios (maybe even just for first gear) or am I on another planet ?

There are some gear ratio changes coming up in the 2005 spec MINIs, can't remember if it was Cooper only or S as well.

Anyway, I'll be keen to drive an A3 3.2 when it gets here too - very curious to see what they are like.

IML337
July 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
oh yeah and I know AmD have some fairly good upgrade kits for the R32, so there'd have to be similair things for the A3 3.2...?

jamesa
July 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM
oh yeah and I know AmD have some fairly good upgrade kits for the R32, so there'd have to be similair things for the A3 3.2...?

You know you want the Audi Tim :) esp with the DSG!

I saw a new A3 on the weekend for the first time and it looks a lot better than the photos.

On another note, I hope (but doubt) the same holds true for the A6...

-- james

CMY-18T
July 27th, 2004, 07:19 PM
And I personally wouldn't compare an Audi A3 to a car like a BMW 330Ci or an Alfa GT? I didn't think the new A3 was up in those classes...? I guess the new A3 is a bit of a leap ahead of the old one though.

I thought this was a big call. In terms of build quality, I would put the new A3 miles ahead of the Alfa and slightly better then the 330. In fact, the old A3 is a better, tighter build then the Alfa

Blitzkrieg
July 27th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else found the 80k price a bit too steep for a hatchback?

Michael

jamesa
July 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else found the 80k price a bit too steep for a hatchback?

Michael

Maybe. But I remember people thinking the same thing about the S3 when that first came out, too

-- james

IML337
July 27th, 2004, 11:49 PM
In fact, the old A3 is a better, tighter build then the Alfa

haha I'd almost compare a Hyundai Excel to an Alfa :P

storms_of_fate
August 2nd, 2004, 10:12 PM
You want an involving drive? Try a RS Clio, then you'll know what's involving.

The only problem I have with the new 3.2 A3 is the price. I know its justified, in terms of stuff you get. But the current one selling for the same money and similar stuff is not an A3. That S badge worth money, just like any other badge. So in ditching teh S badge, I just don't think its worth 75 large.

It lands early next year I was told, in fact should be together with the sportback. But who knows...