PDA

View Full Version : APR vs UniTronic ECU & DSG tunes

roadrunner
February 13th, 2016, 10:42 AM
APR vs UniTronic ECU & DSG tunes

APR:
- The APR ECU S1 (98 RON) produces 265kW and 515Nm (kW was confirmed on a dyno I did back in 2015). The APR Oz site claims more power, however it is the APR US site that is accurate.
- The APR DSG tune is aimed at improving DSG shift points in all modes, raised LC RPM’s, faster shifts etc
- Flash type tune that can only be performed at an APR agent
- Tune is VIN locked for life
- Flash counter preserved on ECU(not convinced), not on TCU
- Current price is $3600AUD, although I purchased before the price inflation for around $3000AUD. Also the tuner charges $145 for any subsequent updates, install/uninstalls.
UniTronics:
- The ECU S1+ (98 RON) produces 279kW and 475Nm.
- The DSG tune is aimed at improving DSG shift points in all modes, raised LC RPM’s, faster shifts etc.
- Flash type tune that can be performed at UniTronic agent OR at home using your laptop if you purchase their USB 2.0/OBD2 cable.
- Flash counter not preserved on ECU or TCU
- Free updates - no agent install fee with DIY cable
- Engine & DSG protection as requires operating temps to be achieved
- Landed price was $1800AUD (only the cable ($150) is shipped, as software is downloaded so no customs duty)

HP
lb ft
Kw
Nm

APR

UniTronic

Variance

Background:
I have had the APR ECU S1 tune for about 1 year and it has been a great tune and had no issues. The APR DSG tune was installed in September and initially it was a great transformation over stock DSG behaviour, HOWEVER recently it began to ‘re-adapt’ and develop some very annoying behaviour. This included rushing upshift from 4th to 6th in D; constantly switching between 3rd and 4th in S mode when on and off the throttle. To date APR support has not been of much assistance and has vaguely stated that it is a DSG adaption issue out of their control and re-flashing wouldn’t resolve it.
Frustrated, I decided to dump the DSG tune. I also decided to swap the ECU tune as I always had reservations about the very high torque output and the impact it would have on the transmission in the long-term.
I looked towards UniTronic as they have the home DIY flash tuning option, which is the method I’d used on my previous cars with great success. Also, their tune offers a higher power output and lower torque which I thought may serve the S3 better.

Install of UniTronic:
So I went the DIY option with my laptop and the UniTronic cable (internet connection required). The software install etc is all very straight forward as is the use of their software. Truly idiot proof!
Time to flash ECU was 15mins, TCU was 8mins. Pretty much the same time as APR at the shop.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/fieldsian/Misc/UT_zpspl4cpeou.jpg

Initial UniTronic review:
So early days as only had it installed for 200km which was a mix of traffic and aggressive country driving.
ECU tune:
- Can't feel the impact of the lower torque. Certainly delivers the ‘punch’ that you'd expect.
- Top end is better and feels to continue to rev freely and pull up to red line.
- Linear in delivery especially in the higher rev range. Power is nice and progressive. The biggest difference is how freely and smoothly it climbs through the entire revs range.
- Throttle response is great, as was APR's.
- Compared to APR it is, just smoother and more refined. The APR tune feels very boosty and wild, sort of on/off feel, which certainly isn't a bad thing and can be more exciting. Best way to say it is the APR definitely has that "tuned" feel.
DSG tune:
Well this was always going to be interesting, as APR agent said re-flashing wouldn’t resolve my problems…. Well that's utter BS!! Problems were solved! The UniTronic has transformed the DSG again, just hope it lasts.
- In D mode:
o Great shift points. It re-acts far better to driving style and throttle position in applying the appropriate shifts. When cruising in traffic and using light throttle (<20%), it changes up at lower revs, however in moderate throttle (>20%) is marks the shifts higher accordingly. The APR just didn't seem to get this right if at all.

o Doesn't hang in 1st. The APR hung is 1st too long in slow traffic and parking stations etc.

o Doesn't rush the changes to from 4th onwards like the APR tune does. With UniTronic, under light throttle 6th is only selected around 75kph.

o Shifts are noticeably smoother than APR (may be due to lower torque?)

o Aggressive driving is excellent, as was APR's
- In S mode:
o Same as APR in that is doesn’t hold gears too long, especially in 2nd.

o As with D, it is far better a matching shifts to driving style than APR.

o Smoother shifts. APR could be clunky.

o Less confusion in gear selection than APR. The APR would constantly change up and down at certain speeds on small throttle inputs.
- M mode:
o Not much different here. Allows rev limiter to be hit & removes kick down etc

o Seems slightly quicker to respond to paddles and less clunky.

Initial Conclusion:
There’s nothing in it performance wise between the ECU tunes, both are excellent and very quick! Overall I am very pleased, although time will tell re the DSG adaption. I certainly would NOT recommend the APR DSG tune though due to the way it changes shift points over time, constant jumping shifts in S, and is rougher on the changes compared to UniTronic. The Unitronic also shifts according to driving style, which I never felt with the APR DSG tune.

I really like the fact that I can now control my own flashing process at home and easily get updates etc without having to go to a tuner and pay $145 for their time or wait for APR Australia to decide on releasing updates. I can also unflash for dealer visits and although the flash counter is incremented, there seem no reports of this automatically raising a TD1 to date. I am also sceptical of APR preserving the flash counter as through VCDS my ECU flash counter incremented by 1 after APR was removed!?!

So to sum up, I'd say the UniTronic will probably be kept after the 15 day trial period and I won't be going back to APR as the way things stand. The APR is in no way superior, let alone worth $1800 AUD more. Furthermore, apparently APR Australia modifies/tweaks their versions of the APR USA tunes, which IMO undermines all the R&D of the original USA tune. If APR want to stay competitive in the tuning game they'd be wise to release a DIY cable as the game has changed, as well as admit when there is an issue with their tune as there is with the DSG tune (reported by multiple people).

LINKS:
https://www.moddedeuros.com/audi/s3/8v-2015/tuning
https://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-S3-20L-TSI--2015-2015

EDIT: 17/02 - Upgraded DSG to Stage 2 for removal of kickdowns and full M mode

belle_tb
February 13th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Thank you roadrunner! Great write up!!

andrewjamesdean
February 13th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Can anyone else confirm whether they have seen an increase in the flash counter using APR? That's a pretty big issue if the above is correct

roadrunner
February 13th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Can anyone else confirm whether they have seen an increase in the flash counter using APR? That's a pretty big issue if the above is correct
Here is a photo what my VCDS stated after the unflash was 2/2/2 while prior it was 1/1/1. I never noted prior to original flash, so could be wrong, but seems to require investigation. I know UniTronic stated it was not possible to control the flash counter and as far as I am aware only APR claim to have controlled this.

roadrunner
February 13th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Is the 'tweaking' for Australian climate really necessary? I thought if the software is tuned to feed a certain amount of fuel at a certain amount of boost, with the throttle position at a certain percentage with ambient temperate at 35 degrees Celsius, then that's the same 35 degrees no matter what country you're in? Or are there other factors involved that I'm missing?

Rome and Florida have same temps as Oz.

Anyhow, this was not intended as an anti-APR post, but rather to bring awareness that there are better tune options now available at 1/2 the price

mp2811
February 13th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Good review Roadrunner. Glad you're happy with the DSG now.

I think as more tunes released APR will lose customers due to excessive pricing.

I disagree about APR australia fine tuning the files to 1 suit our conditions but also in this case the Aust/ROW cars have slightly different fuelling set up than US spec vehicles so a tune to match that is very important and also reason why Aust/UK cars getting slightly better performance.

I think that our APR ECU tune must be better developed than US one hence none of the issues on ours that US had on version one and just this week released version 2 to fix them. Obviously Guy and calibrators from APR USA/UK got our tune right first time.

I think APR dropped ball a bit with DSG software as obviously been issues world wide, hence version 2 due for release soon and beta testing version 3 in UK. TBH I never thought of APR as DSG experts as new into the tunes, Hence why I got Guys HP tune and it's been spot on.

jaydece
February 13th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Is the 'tweaking' for Australian climate really necessary? I thought if the software is tuned to feed a certain amount of fuel at a certain amount of boost, with the throttle position at a certain percentage with ambient temperate at 35 degrees Celsius, then that's the same 35 degrees no matter what country you're in? Or are there other factors involved that I'm missing?

I would take a guess and say atmospheric pressure.....above sea level differences between counteries and areas? This would then have an effect on MAP tables, boost, timing....etc....

Thats my 2 cents....

s3bob
February 14th, 2016, 09:47 AM
How much is unitronic just for the stage 1/stage1+ tune?

roadrunner
February 14th, 2016, 09:59 AM
$700 USD + $150USD for cable

presto
February 14th, 2016, 12:29 PM

I was quoted AUD $1399 for ecu tune and $1199 for dsg, that was for a Q5 but I can't imagine there being a huge difference between models.

minstrel
February 14th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I was quoted AUD $1399 for ecu tune and $1199 for dsg, that was for a Q5 but I can't imagine there being a huge difference between models.

I asked the Aus distributor early Feb 16. I can confirm costing is as follows:

ECU Stage 1+ AUD 1399.00
DSG Stage 1 AUD 1199.00
Uniconnect+ AUD 249.00

They offer a $150 combo deal. There's a $100 discount only if return customer (eg you get the ECU and a month later decide you need the DSG as well).

roadrunner
February 14th, 2016, 01:57 PM

I asked the Aus distributor early Feb 16. I can confirm costing is as follows:

ECU Stage 1+ AUD 1399.00
DSG Stage 1 AUD 1199.00
Uniconnect+ AUD 249.00

They offer a $150 combo deal. There's a $100 discount only if return customer (eg you get the ECU and a month later decide you need the DSG as well).
Get it from USA, not Oz

roadrunner
February 14th, 2016, 09:17 PM
@roadrunner, just wondering do you need to go back to the APR dealer to revert your ECU & DSG tune to stock first before you could flash the Unitronic tune? Or Unitronic software will overwrite it regardless of what the ECU/DSG is currently running?
Yes, have to revert to OE. Unitronic take a backup of your OE flash so it can be restored.

swinp75
February 14th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Regardless of argument with APR DSG Tune, I really appreciated with roadrunner's great review.
I've been researching this kind of information from everywhere but couldn't get this kind of comparison review from any other OZ forums. I guess most of people hesitate to be beta tester of two different tunes or get money pressure to apply two tunes on their vehicle. I do agree and understand other people got different opinions and aspects of APR and Unitronics.
In my case, I will go for Unitronics to save $$$$ and very attractive to flash ECU tune at home.

I will order UniConnect cable and stage 1+ DSG package from US on next week.( I may come up with different result with roadrunner review but love to share the information with you guys later)

Thanks a lot roadrunner, again.

roadrunner
February 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Regardless of argument with APR DSG Tune, I really appreciated with roadrunner's great review.
I've been researching this kind of information from everywhere but couldn't get this kind of comparison review from any other OZ forums. I guess most of people hesitate to be beta tester of two different tunes or get money pressure to apply two tunes on their vehicle. I do agree and understand other people got different opinions and aspects of APR and Unitronics.
In my case, I will go for Unitronics to save $$$$ and very attractive to flash ECU tune at home.

I will order UniConnect cable and stage 1+ DSG package from US on next week.( I may come up with different result with roadrunner review but love to share the information with you guys later)

Thanks a lot roadrunner, again.

A further 80km of urban driving on Sunday and this morning. Really enjoying this UniTronic! The way the DSG responds to driving style and throttle is excellent and is what sets it apart as do the smoother shifts :)

julianwhitta
February 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Great review, roadrunner, and I heartily endorse the views expressed concerning relative cost. I think ewok largely has the right of it, although I'd suggest there might be some small grain of truth in the "made for Australian conditions", as far as fuel quality and octane rating is concerned. Those two factors do vary considerably, depending on where you are in the world, and would play a part in how well an ECU tune worked. Does that justify pricing 50-75% higher than the US or Europe? Nope. And, as you noted, that's especially true for DSG tunes.

I've got an APR ECU tune on my A5 that I'm perfectly happy with - car goes like a cut cat - so would be unlikely to change, even though the ability to flash from my own laptop is attractive. However, I AM in the process of weighing up options for a DSG tune, and this entire thread has been hugely informative, so thank you for a timely, insightful, and honest comparison.

Remarcabull
February 15th, 2016, 10:11 AM

APR:
- The APR ECU S1 (98 RON) produces 265kW and 515Nm (kW was confirmed on a dyno I did back in 2015). The APR Oz site claims more power, however it is the APR US site that is accurate.
- The APR DSG tune is aimed at improving DSG shift points in all modes, raised LC RPM’s, faster shifts etc
- Current price is $3600AUD, although I purchased before the price inflation for around $3000AUD. Also the tuner charges $145 for any subsequent updates, install/uninstalls.
UniTronics:
- The DSG tune is aimed at improving DSG shift points in all modes, raised LC RPM’s, faster shifts etc.
- Flash type tune that can be performed at UniTronic agent OR at home using your laptop if you purchase their USB 2.0/OBD2 cable.
- Landed price was $1800AUD (only the cable ($150) is shipped, as software is downloaded so no customs duty)

HP
lb ft
Kw
Nm

APR

UniTronic

Variance

Background:
I have had the APR ECU S1 tune for about 1 year and it has been a great tune and had no issues. The APR DSG tune was installed in September and initially it was a great transformation over stock DSG behaviour, HOWEVER recently it began to ‘re-adapt’ and develop some very annoying behaviour. This included rushing upshift from 4th to 6th in D; constantly switching between 3rd and 4th in S mode when on and off the throttle. To date APR support has not been of much assistance and has vaguely stated that it is a DSG adaption issue out of their control and re-flashing wouldn’t resolve it.
Frustrated, I decided to dump the DSG tune. I also decided to swap the ECU tune as I always had reservations about the very high torque output and the impact it would have on the transmission in the long-term.
I looked towards UniTronic as they have the home DIY flash tuning option, which is the method I’d used on my previous cars with great success. Also, their tune offers a higher power output and lower torque which I thought may serve the S3 better.

Install of UniTronic:
So I went the DIY option with my laptop and the UniTronic cable (internet connection required). The software install etc is all very straight forward as is the use of their software. Truly idiot proof!
Time to flash ECU was 15mins, TCU was 8mins. Pretty much the same time as APR at the shop.

So early days as only had it installed for 200km which was a mix of traffic and aggressive country driving.
ECU tune:
- Can't feel the impact of the lower torque. Certainly delivers the ‘punch’ that you'd expect.
- Top end is better and feels to continue to rev freely and pull up to red line.
- Linear in delivery especially in the higher rev range. Power is nice and progressive. The biggest difference is how freely and smoothly it climbs through the entire revs range.
- Compared to APR it is, just smoother and more refined. The APR tune feels very boosty and wild, sort of on/off feel, which certainly isn't a bad thing and can be more exciting. Best way to say it is the APR definitely has that "tuned" feel.
DSG tune:
Well this was always going to be interesting, as APR agent said re-flashing wouldn’t resolve my problems…. Well that's utter BS!! Problems were solved! The UniTronic has transformed the DSG again, just hope it lasts.
- In D mode:
o Great shift points. It re-acts far better to driving style and throttle position in applying the appropriate shifts. When cruising in traffic and using light throttle (<20%), it changes up at lower revs, however in moderate throttle (>20%) is marks the shifts higher accordingly. The APR just didn't seem to get this right if at all.

o Doesn't hang in 1st. The APR hung is 1st too long in slow traffic and parking stations etc.

o Doesn't rush the changes to from 4th onwards like the APR tune does. With UniTronic, under light throttle 6th is only selected around 75kph.

- In S mode:

o Less confusion in gear selection than APR. The APR would constantly change up and down at certain speeds on small throttle inputs.
- M mode:

Initial Conclusion:
There’s nothing in it performance wise between the ECU tunes, both are excellent and very quick! Overall I am very pleased, although time will tell re the DSG adaption. I certainly would NOT recommend the APR DSG tune though due to the way it changes shift points over time, constant jumping shifts in S, and is rougher on the changes compared to UniTronic. The Unitronic also shifts according to driving style, which I never felt with the APR DSG tune.

I really like the fact that I can now control my own flashing process at home and easily get updates etc without having to go to a tuner and pay $145 for their time or wait for APR Australia to decide on releasing updates. I can also unflash for dealer visits and although the flash counter is incremented, there seem no reports of this automatically raising a TD1 to date. I am also sceptical of APR preserving the flash counter as through VCDS my ECU flash counter incremented by 1 after APR was removed!?!

So to sum up, I'd say the UniTronic will probably be kept after the 15 day trial period and I won't be going back to APR as the way things stand. The APR is in no way superior, let alone worth $1800 AUD more. Furthermore, apparently APR Australia modifies/tweaks their versions of the APR USA tunes, which IMO undermines all the R&D of the original USA tune. If APR want to stay competitive in the tuning game they'd be wise to release a DIY cable as the game has changed, as well as admit when there is an issue with their tune as there is with the DSG tune (reported by multiple people).

LINKS:

Roadrunner, great write up, thanks for the indepth review, im too looking at this, and honestly hope they bring a RS3 DIY tune out in near future.

roadrunner
February 15th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Roadrunner, great write up, thanks for the indepth review, im too looking at this, and honestly hope they bring a RS3 DIY tune out in near future.
Don't think US tuners would release a RS3 tune until such time as the RS3 lands in the US. Only the sedan I understand?

With UniTronic 15 day trial you can always return it and just be out of pocket for the cable which can't be returned as VIN locked. Your flash counter will go up though if that's a concern to you.

Remarcabull
February 15th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Don't think US tuners would release a RS3 tune until such time as the RS3 lands in the US. Only the sedan I understand?

With UniTronic 15 day trial you can always return it and just be out of pocket for the cable which can't be returned as VIN locked. Your flash counter will go up though if that's a concern to you.

Na doesnt really bother me as mine comes up on their system as tuned anyway from manually been flagged :) Plus the way these turbos blow are in the turbine and not the intake side, so a a $4k turbo repair isnt too much of a hassle.

So once you buy it online, you download the software and it connects to your car through the cable and updates it? how do u flash it back, does it take a backup of it before hand?

roadrunner
February 15th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Na doesnt really bother me as mine comes up on their system as tuned anyway from manually been flagged :) Plus the way these turbos blow are in the turbine and not the intake side, so a a $4k turbo repair isnt too much of a hassle.

So once you buy it online, you download the software and it connects to your car through the cable and updates it? how do u flash it back, does it take a backup of it before hand?

So when you buy the cable you have to supply your VIN and choose your stage software (can be upgraded at any time if you go to S2). When you receive the cable you plug it into your laptop and register it and confirm the VIN. The cable software management agent then installs the client on your laptop (much like VCDS). You then connect to your car's OBD2 port and it will read the ECU and VIN lock.

You can choose to flash either ECU or TCU and it goes online (need an internet connection) and gives you a list of available tunes according to your stage purchase. For example, S1 or S1+, Stock are listed for mine. It will read the stock ECU file and back up to UniTronic servers. APR works in the same way as far as keeping your original stock file.

Remarcabull
February 15th, 2016, 11:51 AM
So when you buy the cable you have to supply your VIN and choose your stage software (can be upgraded at any time if you go to S2). When you receive the cable you plug it into your laptop and register it and confirm the VIN. The cable software management agent then installs the client on you laptop (much like VCDS). You then connect to your car's OBD2 port and it will read the ECU and VIN lock.

You can choose to flash either ECU or TCU and it goes online (need an internet connection) and gives you a list of available tunes according to your stage purchase. For example, S1 or S1+, Stock are listed for mine. It will read the stock ECU file and back up to UniTronic servers. APR works in the same way as far as keeping your original stock file.

Fantastic, im sure alot of people who have tuned their cars previously wish this had come out sooner.

hsjyes
February 15th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Appreciate the write up, new to the forums but I am looking at going down the Unitronic path as the DIY aspect of this tune is to hard to look past. Been watching some videos posted online with people installing and using this tune and I really like the simplicity of it all.

roadrunner
February 15th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Also look at UniTronic's FB page
https://facebook.com/unitronic/ (https://facebook.com/unitronic/)

T_S3
February 15th, 2016, 12:20 PM

what did you get manually flagged for?

Alister
February 15th, 2016, 01:50 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have the ABT interceptor box?

Remarcabull
February 15th, 2016, 03:16 PM
what did you get manually flagged for?

ABT tune (manually flagged as didnt come up as TD1)

Remarcabull
February 15th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have the ABT interceptor box?

Correct, still do and love it. I just dont take it and all the stickers off when it goes in for a service :)

domino_z
February 15th, 2016, 08:08 PM
ABT tune (manually flagged as didnt come up as TD1)

hmmm i thought the whole point of spending 3k on an abt wiring harness was because audi accepted it

so now they don't?

Remarcabull
February 15th, 2016, 08:22 PM
hmmm i thought the whole point of spending 3k on an abt wiring harness was because audi accepted it

so now they don't?
They do. Just needs to say ABT power tune. [emoji3]

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

hsjyes
February 16th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Roadrunner, will you be keeping us updated on how your UniTronic tune goes? I am leaning towards this and I am somewhat using you as my beta tester :)

roadrunner
February 16th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Roadrunner, will you be keeping us updated on how your UniTronic tune goes? I am leaning towards this and I am somewhat using you as my beta tester :)

Sure will.
I will probably go the S2 DSG from UniTronics as I need the kick-down in M removed which is not available in the S1

crc
February 16th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Overall I am very pleased, although time will tell re the DSG adaption.

I'm interested to see what happens after a few months on the road. Will be interesting to see if it is a core feature of the TCU to adapt away from more aggressive shift points because of a large amount of time stuck in traffic at very small throttle openings. I also suffer from Sydney traffic so I definitely would not want it adapting away from the just-flashed mode.

The B6 S4's I had in the past with aftermarket tunes would adapt to the fuel quality level over the first 100km or so and advance the timing making a large impact on available power. It seemed to then remember a baseline figure for timing and it would run sweet from then on. However if you disconnected the battery you'd be back at square one with the timing and you'd need to re-adapt the ECU. It seems that this TCU issue could be something like this because of the majority of time spent in traffic?

In any case thought I would bring some non-tune-wars conversation back in to the thread :)

@roadrunner - keep us up to date on the adaptation thing

EDIT I found an article on TCU adaptation value reset procedure; will post in VCDS mods thread

roadrunner
February 16th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I'm interested to see what happens after a few months on the road. Will be interesting to see if it is a core feature of the TCU to adapt away from more aggressive shift points because of a large amount of time stuck in traffic at very small throttle openings. I also suffer from Sydney traffic so I definitely would not want it adapting away from the just-flashed mode.

The B6 S4's I had in the past with aftermarket tunes would adapt to the fuel quality level over the first 100km or so and advance the timing making a large impact on available power. It seemed to then remember a baseline figure for timing and it would run sweet from then on. However if you disconnected the battery you'd be back at square one with the timing and you'd need to re-adapt the ECU. It seems that this TCU issue could be something like this because of the majority of time spent in traffic?

In any case thought I would bring some non-tune-wars conversation back in to the thread :)

Agreed. Will see in the next 1000km. The major difference with the UniTronic DSG tune is the way it immediately reacts to driving style and throttle, be it in S or D mode. With sedate driving, the shifts are conservative. With moderate to aggressive driving, then the shifts instantly adjusts to aggressive shift points. S mode is now actually very usable in city driving now and isn't constantly being indecisive between 2nd-3rd-4th.

jnrdavo
February 16th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Thread cleaned up, as per forum rules.

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/forum-rules-please-read/995-users-rules-disclaimers.html

"18. Threads / replies attacking ozAudi forum sponsors will not be tolerated. If you think you have the right to, contact a moderator before you post."

This is a forum that is run by people who do not get paid, and the sponsors are the only ones that put in ANY money to keep it going. Yes, it does cost (hosting, storage, software license etc).

If you perceive you have a problem with a sponsors (any sponsors!) product or services, take it up with them directly, or via the PM system.

The rules are in place to stop people slandering companies when there are always two sides to a story. This has been covered many times on this forum, and I'm sure it will again.

I have left in this thread what I think is relevant to the original post.

hsjyes
February 16th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Sure will. Unflashed last night as car is at dealership today for some warranty related items.

Nice, thanks. Does the dealer pick up on a UniTronic flash?

roadrunner
February 16th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Nice, thanks. Does the dealer pick up on a UniTronic flash?

Any flash will be picked up if not unflashed, sometimes even if unflashed. No flash tuner can guarantee undetection. E.g. 2016 a3 2.0 blown turbo? (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/690195-2016-a3-2-0-blown-turbo)

aantss
February 16th, 2016, 03:05 PM
What do you reckon about running the Unitronic dsg tune with the APR ecu tune? Think it would behave ok?

roadrunner
February 16th, 2016, 03:33 PM
What do you reckon about running the Unitronic dsg tune with the APR ecu tune? Think it would behave ok?
I'd think it better to match tuners as they obviously develop their DSG/ECU tunes to operate with each other. That said, there is plenty of mixing ECU/DSG tunes in the US. Given the higher torque of the APR ECU tune, probably best to consider the UniTronic S2 DSG aimed at higher torque levels. I don't know enough to answer, so rather contact UniTronic.
The price of the UniTronics ECU/DSG tune combo deal is around the same as the APR DSG tune in Oz, so do the math ;)

kiwimeat
February 16th, 2016, 04:05 PM
I don't see why not.
I ran the APR Stage I ECU with the Harding Performance DSG tune on my 8P S3 with no coexistence issues over a number of years.
Of course there are benefits to running mods from a single provider. Although in the above case HP were the distributor and installer for both mods for my S3.

That said I am back in a manual car.

Part of the reason is that I prefer my own adaptive gear changes to that of a computer.

The HP DSG tune improved the stock DSG experience for me. However over time and probably due to the adaptive nature of the computer system, the excessive time spent in peak hour traffic began to reflect in the default behaviour of the gearbox. I think this may perhaps be unavoidable for any vendor's solution. Of course there will be differences in how the adaption take and whether it can be reset.

presto
February 16th, 2016, 05:19 PM
I ran the APR Stage I ECU with the Harding Performance DSG tune on my 8P S3 with no coexistence issues over a number of years.

AFAIK HP worked with APR to develop the dsg tune, so the HP tune should be the same as what APR release and should match the APR ecu tune very well. In fact I don't know if you can source the APR dsg tune independently of HP (but don't quote me on that!)
Looks like you're having the same 'relearning' issue which raised this thread.

I spoke again with unitronic last week regarding the dsg tune and how it will perform with a different brand ecu tune (I might be going with bluefin) and they said that it adjusts the maps according to throttle position, load etc so depending on how far you bury the right boot and the power output of the engine, it will adjust the shift points and speed of gear changes so it performs normally in drive and sharpens up when you want to really drive it. It was a longer conversation than this but from what he told me, it doesn't matter what tune you get as they're all very similar (stage 1 anyway) and the dsg will respond to load and throttle position regardless. I could have written that better, but it's been a long day so hopefully it makes sense :P

roadrunner
February 16th, 2016, 05:56 PM
it will adjust the shift points and speed of gear changes so it performs normally in drive and sharpens up when you want to really drive it. It was a longer conversation than this but from what he told me, it doesn't matter what tune you get as they're all very similar (stage 1 anyway) and the dsg will respond to load and throttle position regardless. I could have written that better, but it's been a long day so hopefully it makes sense :P

That is the standout difference with the UniTronic DSG tune, the way it instantly adapts to driving style and throttle, be it in S or D, both very usable. No more everyday moments of "WTF is this DSG doing now?".
Also, smoother shifts and no constant indecisive shifting in S. I am loving S mode especially!

EDIT: If you drive sedately in D with light throttle it will up-shift around 2,000rpm just a bit higher than OE, but as soon as you increase the load and aggression, the up-shifts are higher. S mode follows the same logic and VERY usable in daily urban driving, however holds a bit longer for up-shifts and down-shifts much sooner on braking/decel. I haven't yet had a scenario with the UniTronic where I was thinking "FFS, shift already!!" or "wrong gear, down-shift". It is clever engineering!

Remarcabull
February 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM
That is the standout difference with the UniTronic DSG tune, the way it instantly adapts to driving style and throttle, be it in S or D, both very usable. No more everyday moments of "WTF is this DSG doing now?".
Also, smoother shifts and no constant indecisive shifting in S. I am loving S mode especially!

EDIT: If you drive sedately in D with light throttle it will up-shift around 2,000rpm just a bit higher than OE, but as soon as you increase the load and aggression, the up-shifts are higher. S mode follows the same logic and VERY usable in daily urban driving, however holds a bit longer for up-shifts and down-shifts much sooner on braking/decel. I haven't yet had a scenario with the UniTronic where I was thinking "FFS, shift already!!" or "wrong gear, down-shift". It is clever engineering!

Sounds like its the best DSG product on the market, all i have heard on other forums and here is how most return back to stock. Looking forward to you long term review and hope it keeps the same attitude for you.

roadrunner
February 16th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Sounds like its the best DSG product on the market, all i have heard on other forums and here is how most return back to stock. Looking forward to you long term review and hope it keeps the same attitude for you.
UnitedMotorSports also has many good long term positive reviews in the US: MQB Platform DSG Software | UnitedMotorSport.net (http://www.unitedmotorsport.net/performance-software/dsg-performance-software/mqb-platform-dsg-software/)

mp2811
February 16th, 2016, 07:59 PM
UnitedMotorSports also has many good long term positive reviews in the US: MQB Platform DSG Software | UnitedMotorSport.net (http://www.unitedmotorsport.net/performance-software/dsg-performance-software/mqb-platform-dsg-software/)

How long term? 8 months down with HP DSG tune and not a single issue. I don't drive hard and barely use R mode and it's still Miles better than stock. Hasn't once left me in gear I didn't feel was right. I was hating stock tune by the end and used M more and more, I haven't felt need to use it once in 8 months. Every time I use R mode it happily goes into 3/4 gear and just stays in that awesome powerband.

I can't find a single negative review on the HP tune on this platform. Just saying, the way people are if there was an issue like you had with APR DSG tune there would be plenty venting their complaints!

I'm glad starting to be more options out there, UM, Unitronic etc. I'm sure won;t be long until Revo and Giac will have theirs out too. HPA probably best known DSG specialist in world too.

I think APR the newest into doing these DSG tunes and might take a while to get it right.

Like you stated APR great ECU tune, but price is pretty crazy. I got it on sale and initial release at 1400 as no way I would pay 2k. I'd prefer to go Revo/Uni and get combo deal and straight to stage 2.

roadrunner
February 16th, 2016, 08:17 PM
How long term? 8 months down with HP DSG tune and not a single issue. I don't drive hard and barely use R mode and it's still Miles better than stock. Hasn't once left me in gear I didn't feel was right. I was hating stock tune by the end and used M more and more, I haven't felt need to use it once in 8 months. Every time I use R mode it happily goes into 3/4 gear and just stays in that awesome powerband.

I can't find a single negative review on the HP tune on this platform. Just saying, the way people are if there was an issue like you had with APR DSG tune there would be plenty venting their complaints!

I'm glad starting to be more options out there, UM, Unitronic etc. I'm sure won;t be long until Revo and Giac will have theirs out too. HPA probably best known DSG specialist in world too.

I think APR the newest into doing these DSG tunes and might take a while to get it right.

Like you stated APR great ECU tune, but price is pretty crazy. I got it on sale and initial release at 1400 as no way I would pay 2k. I'd prefer to go Revo/Uni and get combo deal and straight to stage 2.

Yes, the HP DSG tune has very good reviews, but I just don't have time to leave my car at the dealer overnight for it to be flashed/unflashed. Also, in terms of cost it is double at $1500 + $150 for each flash/unflash. Sorry, but that seems antiquated by today's tech standards.

With the UniTronic ECU tune, there isn't much between them as far as performance, perhaps UniT is just a bit more refined, but as I stated in OP, it has less of a "tuned" feel to it and seems smoother and >4500rpm it seems more willing... just depends on your preference. I'd be happy with either. In a straight line I doubt there'd be anything in it.

mp2811
February 16th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Yes, the HP DSG tune has very good reviews, but I just don't have time to leave my car at the dealer overnight for it to be flashed/unflashed. Also, in terms of cost it is double at $1500 + $150 for each flash/unflash. Sorry, but that seems antiquated by today's tech standards.

With the UniTronic ECU tune, there isn't much between them as far as performance, perhaps UniT is just a bit more refined, but as I stated in OP, it has less of a "tuned" feel to it and seems smoother and >4500rpm it seems more willing... just depends on your preference. I'd be happy with either. In a straight line I doubt there'd be anything in it.

You're right about the install set up not the best. I don't plan on removing it and don't get serviced by dealer so not as concerned. I'm not big fan of self flashing as don't trust myself/worry that something may go wrong, but for you guys that like it your combo seems fantastic deal. Glad they're working out well and IMO that's what these forums are for is putting reviews/advice whether positive/negative.

RS200Z
February 17th, 2016, 12:56 AM
How's the engine oil temp management with the Unitronic? Does it keeps it lower like the APR tune? Compared with the factory tune, the APR tune rarely sees oil temp above 100 degrees Celsius.

roadrunner
February 17th, 2016, 06:29 AM
How's the engine oil temp management with the Unitronic? Does it keeps it lower like the APR tune? Compared with the factory tune, the APR tune rarely sees oil temp above 100 degrees Celsius.
Well been switching a lot over the past week between stock, APR, UniTronic and kept a note of this. On my car: APR ran around 103, Stock around 112, UniTronic at 107.

I was told it down to setting on cooling system. Obviously the harder you work the water pump the more wear on it. IIRC in stock form, Dynamic mode ups the cooling??

TBH, the S3 runs pretty cool in comparison to past BMW's which would run 125 as norm.

hsjyes
February 17th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Dynamic mode ups the cooling??

TBH, the S3 runs pretty cool in comparison to past BMW's which would run 125 as norm.

As in, running in Dynamic the car runs cooler?

roadrunner
February 17th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Some interesting reads from others:
VWVortex.com - APR vs UNI-tronic (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7636890-APR-vs-UNI-tronic&p=93324569&viewfull=1#post93324569)
VWVortex.com - Launch control problem after installing APR DSG tune on a 16' S3 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7650409-Launch-control-problem-after-installing-APR-DSG-tune-on-a-16-S3)

roadrunner
February 17th, 2016, 08:05 AM
As in, running in Dynamic the car runs cooler?

I believe so. Steps up cooling function in Dynamic.

jnrdavo
February 17th, 2016, 08:35 AM
There is something on the net about all tuners DSG 'issues' if you go looking hard enough.. This took me 1 minute to find..

DSG tranny issues with tune (http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/26361-DSG-tranny-issues-with-tune)

ewok666
February 17th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I was told it down to setting on cooling system. Obviously the harder you work the water pump the more wear on it. IIRC in stock form, Dynamic mode ups the cooling??

Isn't the water pump driven by a belt? How would you work it harder unless you're reving it higher?

roadrunner
February 17th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Isn't the water pump driven by a belt? How would you work it harder unless you're reving it higher?

No idea, I know nothing about the cooling system hardware.

EDIT: There seems to be an Aux/secondary pump which is electric

Remarcabull
February 17th, 2016, 10:43 AM
There is something on the net about all tuners DSG 'issues' if you go looking hard enough.. This took me 1 minute to find..

DSG tranny issues with tune (http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/26361-DSG-tranny-issues-with-tune)

I hardly feel like a 2009 GTI is worth mentioning when that model has had some serious issues with its transmission and numerous recalls. It also mentioned two tuners. I seriously get a laugh out of how the admins chime in when APR and issues are mentioned in the same sentence. 8-)

sammo
February 17th, 2016, 10:46 AM

The whirring sound when you turn off the engine is an electric water pump that helps cool the engine after shutdown, not sure whether it's the main one or whether there's another belt driven one?

Remarcabull
February 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
The whirring sound when you turn off the engine is an electric water pump that helps cool the engine after shutdown, not sure whether it's the main one or whether there's another belt driven one?

Thats the electric one, help cool the turbo / turbo oil. pity they cant keep the oil moving too, would maybe it would have helped in the long term durability.

crc
February 17th, 2016, 01:33 PM
No idea, I know nothing about the cooling system hardware.

EDIT: There seems to be an Aux/secondary pump which is electric

There's essentially a traditional cooling system overlaid with a whiz-bang electrical cooling system on these motors.

The 'traditional' element consists of the main mechanical water pump that is driven off one of the balance shafts. It's constantly driven when the motor is on. When it goes, it will just go! There is also a traditional thermostat but it is for an emergency bypass to the main radiator if anything goes wrong. That thermostat opens at 113C no matter what.

The electrical system has a rotary thermostat that allows the ECU to control where the coolant goes in the system. When you've just turned the car off and the after run coolant pump is functioning you can hear the rotary thermostat adjusting flow bit by bit (it's the high pitched short sound every few seconds) to control temperature and flow to the main rad.

The after run pump (electrical) is controlled by the ECU and circulates coolant through the head and turbo after you turn off the engine & also when start/stop is functioning. Can't remember the forum member but someone compared it to an old school turbo timer. Not far off.

As for lower temp in dynamic mode - this is true. The ECU controls the engine temperature below 113C in full via the rotary thermostat. So if a tuner wants a lower temp, they can specify it. If I'm in traffic mine will settle on 106-109C. If you get up it for a while in dynamic, it is closer to 100C. I presume tuners run cooler temps to avoid knock as per the cooler plugs as well.

crc
February 17th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Obviously the harder you work the water pump the more wear on it.

Not true, the mechanical water pump is always driven comparative to RPM. It's driven off one of the balance shafts so is aligned with crank speed.

crc
February 17th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thats the electric one, help cool the turbo / turbo oil. pity they cant keep the oil moving too, would maybe it would have helped in the long term durability.

I haven't seen any evidence of there being any problem with long term durability with 722H turbos. This is a myth and a hangover from the early turbo failures.

Likewise I don't see any reason for people to be so concerned about start/stop with the 722H. It appears they have fixed whatever was wrong and there is a full flow of coolant passing through the turbo bearing housing when in Start/Stop mode anyway via the after run coolant pump. This means there's coolant running within mm's of the turbo's oil jacket.

EDIT: off topic I know! But sooner or later the turbo durability myth needs busting. That is until 722H's start grenading all over the place :)

jnrdavo
February 17th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I hardly feel like a 2009 GTI is worth mentioning when that model has had some serious issues with its transmission and numerous recalls. It also mentioned two tuners. I seriously get a laugh out of how the admins chime in when APR and issues are mentioned in the same sentence. 8-)

The admins chime in when there are continuous negative comments about a forum sponsors product...

yiph
February 17th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the indepth review there Roadrunner.

I have few questions;:confused:

Is there any issue with running APR S1 with the higher toque figures without any DSG tune? Doesn't a higher torque in the lower rpm range will make the car more drivable in normal road traffic situations?

Does the DSG tune only do shifting point changes or does it change how much clutch pressure it applies to correct for increased torque?

roadrunner
February 17th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the indepth review there Roadrunner.

I have few questions;:confused:

Is there any issue with running APR S1 with the higher toque figures without any DSG tune? Doesn't a higher torque in the lower rpm range will make the car more drivable in normal road traffic situations?

Does the DSG tune only do shifting point changes or does it change how much clutch pressure it applies to correct for increased torque?

I ran APR S1 ECU for 9 months. Had no problems. Perhaps ask them.

There's certainly no lack of torque. The Unitronic delivers more than enough at 90Nm> than stock.

DSG tunes optimise shift points to match added power and torque. No idea on clutch pressure, sorry

Lock & Load
February 18th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Spoke to VAG Motors Brisbane Cost of Unitronic Stage 1 ECU tune + DSG TUNE is $2,500 + 150 uploading for tune so $ 2,650 so cost is not far off the APR tune .

Maybe Roadrunner can offer a better rate for us who are not computer savvy and are worried about self installation .

roadrunner
February 18th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Spoke to VAG Motors Brisbane Cost of Unitronic Stage 1 ECU tune + DSG TUNE is $2,500 + 150 uploading for tune so $ 2,650 so cost is not far off the APR tune .

Maybe Roadrunner can offer a better rate for us who are not computer savvy and are worried about self installation .
Don't buy from Australian dealer. I paid $1800 AUD for the ECU/DSG combo.

Installation is truly basic and software is easy to use and self intuitive. I can take some more screen shots if you'd like?

Lock & Load
February 18th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Don't buy from Australian dealer. I paid $1800 AUD for the ECU/DSG combo.

Installation is truly basic and software is easy to use and self intuitive. I can take some more screen shots if you'd like?

Sorry you are talking to a old caveman when it comes to software installs etc yeah i read in previous post of cost of $1800 and that was including the software cable , is the stage 1 worth doing with out the DSG tune ? How do i check if my ECU code is compatible with the tune my is a 2014 manufactured RS3 .

roadrunner
February 18th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Sorry you are talking to a old caveman when it comes to software installs etc yeah i read in previous post of cost of $1800 and that was including the software cable , is the stage 1 worth doing with out the DSG tune ? How do i check if my ECU code is compatible with the tune my is a 2014 manufactured RS3 .
Assume that you mean a 2014 S3? Here is a link to the installation procedure https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2pgb0axobrbrrd/UCP_Setup_Guide.pdf?dl=0

Contact UniTronic with your VIN and ECU/TCU box codes to check availability. Their customer support is one of the best I have experienced. Else buy first and they will get the tune available for your box codes or refund you.

Sent you a PM

Lock & Load
February 18th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Assume that you mean a 2014 S3? Here is a link to the installation procedure https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2pgb0axobrbrrd/UCP_Setup_Guide.pdf?dl=0

Contact UniTronic with your VIN and ECU/TCU box codes to check availability. Their customer support is one of the best I have experienced. Else buy first and they will get the tune available for your box codes or refund you.

Sent you a PM

Ha ha yeah i have the S3 ...........dreaming of RS3 power lol the guys at VAG said to bring the car in so they could check all those codes , may have to pay the extra $$$$ for peace of mind and some sort of back up if anything goes wrong , still concerned about increase possibility of Turbo failure with increased power .

fung9420
February 18th, 2016, 12:14 PM
$1800 for ecu and DSG combo is good deal. As it can be install and uninstall DIY, that's even better. Becoz I got free service with Audi.
Unfortunately I have done APR 8months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadrunner
February 18th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Ha ha yeah i have the S3 ...........dreaming of RS3 power lol the guys at VAG said to bring the car in so they could check all those codes , may have to pay the extra $$$$ for peace of mind and some sort of back up if anything goes wrong , still concerned about increase possibility of Turbo failure with increased power .
You can check your box codes with VCDS.

UniTronic runs lower boost than some other flash tunes. Their comment was:
The difference in torque output is likely due to the boost pressure strategy we use compared to others. We've done a significant amount of R&D and testing, and have determined that increasing the boost pressure beyond the levels we're using is not healthy for the turbocharger and can lead to rapid reliability issues.

Lock & Load
February 18th, 2016, 12:24 PM

The difference in torque output is likely due to the boost pressure strategy we use compared to others. We've done a significant amount of R&D and testing, and have determined that increasing the boost pressure beyond the levels we're using is not healthy for the turbocharger and can lead to rapid reliability issues.

I have checked my codes on the back of the ECU and have vin number etc i will send it to them see what they say , sorry cannot use PM for some reason i am not permitted WTF , pity you are not on the Goldcoast as i do not trust myself on the install of the software .

roadrunner
February 18th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I have checked my codes on the back of the ECU and have vin number etc i will send it to them see what they say , sorry cannot use PM for some reason i am not permitted WTF , pity you are not on the Goldcoast as i do not trust myself on the install of the software .
If you not going to flash yourself then it brings back the tuner shop into the equation and all the BS that goes with that.
Seriously if you follow the steps and take your time reading the instructions then can't go wrong. Points to note when flashing are to ensure nothing interrupts the process, such as BT on phone, disconnecting the cable, turning ignition off, A/C off, lights off, laptop power saving all disabled. I usually sit in the car with the laptop on passenger seat and just wait patiently for the flash to finish. Also you need an internet connection as the software has to connect to UniTronics servers.

Here are the main screen and for an example, the DSG flash screen as went S2 today.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/fieldsian/UT1_zpsviktvwgt.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/fieldsian/UT2_zpszknkjkfi.jpg

Lock & Load
February 18th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the great info , i wish i had your skills and confidence in what you do . The only thing i downloaded with success was my sperm producing my 3 Sons . ha ha

Remarcabull
February 18th, 2016, 02:38 PM

They probably learnt this from other tuners who have and keep blowing theirs :) Good strategy tho and one i would expect from most tuners, i dont overclock my CPU to 100% of maximum allowable, only to about 75% :)

Lock & Load
February 19th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Sent all my codes to Unitronic heard back from Patryk Biniecki saying that there is no performance software available at the current moment for my car , so car is staying stock .

Guess upgrading to something in the next 12 months is in order .

roadrunner
February 19th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Sent all my codes to Unitronic heard back from Patryk Biniecki saying that there is no performance software available at the current moment for my car , so car is staying stock .

Is it an S3 SB, not sedan?

Consider a JB1 or just buy an RS3 SB

swinp75
February 19th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Same email I got from Patryk.

He said " Unfortunately, we currently do not have any Performance Software available for your S3 "
And I asked him when it will be available ?

Here is what he said
"Our Performance Software for your vehicle is in development. Due to the nature of product development, we are unable to provide an estimate on when this will be launched. We encourage you to check our website and social media frequently, as we'll be sure to announce its availability the moment it's launched."

My S3 has J623-CJXF Type Engine (SW: 8V0906259F) and J743 (SW: 0D9300012) for Auto Trans....

roadrunner
February 19th, 2016, 10:14 AM

He said " Unfortunately, we currently do not have any Performance Software available for your S3 "

Here is what he said
"Our Performance Software for your vehicle is in development. Due to the nature of product development, we are unable to provide an estimate on when this will be launched. We encourage you to check our website and social media frequently, as we'll be sure to announce its availability the moment it's launched."

My S3 has J623-CJXF Type Engine (SW: 8V0906259F) and J743 (SW: 0D9300012) for Auto Trans....
2016 ECU? UniTronic hasn't released 2016, expected to release in March/April

Remarcabull
February 19th, 2016, 12:44 PM

Here is what he said

Looking to sell my S3 in May/June if you want the CJXB, ABT sports cat, intercooler exhaust and tune ;)

swinp75
February 19th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Yes, Roadrunner! It's MY16 ECU.... Not many options for ECU tune at the moment, I guess.

ant86
February 19th, 2016, 01:16 PM
JB1 all the way! :_b:

T_S3
February 19th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Yes, Roadrunner! It's MY16 ECU.... Not many options for ECU tune at the moment, I guess.

JB1 mate, or wait a little longer for the JB4.

roadrunner
February 19th, 2016, 07:08 PM
JB1 mate, or wait a little longer for the JB4.
JB1 is great, but install/uninstall is still a PIA getting at some of the sensor plugs. Just go APR as they have MY16 already, or wait a month for the Unitronics to be available for MY16.

T_S3
February 19th, 2016, 07:13 PM
JB1 is great, but install/uninstall is still a PIA getting at some of the sensor plugs. Just go APR as they have MY16 already, or wait a month for the Unitronics to be available for MY16.

That's true that D plug is a definite PIA but if you're not in a hurry it doesn't really matter. Then you can run map 5 or 6.

swinp75
February 20th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Yeah..installing cables and box must be PIA to me. And I considered APR for my ECU tune and got 10% discount offer as Xmas customer. But I will wait for Unitronic.. ECU + DSG combo pack is very attractive price.. Besides I love it that I get control of software...

mp2811
February 20th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Yeah..installing cables and box must be PIA to me. And I considered APR for my ECU tune and got 10% discount offer as Xmas customer. But I will wait for Unitronic.. ECU + DSG combo pack is very attractive price.. Besides I love it that I get control of software...

As much as I love APR ECU tune. If you like to flash yourself, price and review of ECU/DSG combo by Roadrunner I think it's a no brainer. Unitronic $1800 combo unbeatable!

roadrunner
February 21st, 2016, 12:06 AM
As much as I love APR ECU tune. If you like to flash yourself, price and review of ECU/DSG combo by Roadrunner I think it's a no brainer. Unitronic $1800 combo unbeatable!
+1 Exactly. The Unitronis is a better & safer tune as well IMO

Car actually feels faster with UT because of better power/torque balance, but perhaps it's in my head.

Korny
February 21st, 2016, 04:05 PM
The admins chime in when there are continuous negative comments about a forum sponsors product...

APR could sponsor the United Nations and they still wouldn't get my money because that's my choice...should others wish to have an opinion contrary to that of my own I'm big enough not to delete it.

Sent from Korny's iPad using Tapatalk

jnrdavo
February 21st, 2016, 05:03 PM
and you're also big enough to go and run your own forum with your own rules.

Korny
February 22nd, 2016, 09:51 PM
My rules would equate to freedom of speech regardless of who was paying for me to censor public opinion...and I am sure I am not alone.

hsjyes
February 26th, 2016, 07:38 AM
@roadrunner

How is the tune holding up mate?

roadrunner
February 26th, 2016, 08:10 AM
@roadrunner

How is the tune holding up mate?

It is great. Couldn't be happier with the results, the convenience factor, the performance and the great support/customer service.

Of course the ver 2 of the APR software was released this week, so perhaps that addresses some issues they had. Strange that APR added a new feature of increased CP, where as that's standard on UniTronic.

crc
February 26th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Strange that APR added a new feature of increased CP, where as that's standard on UniTronic.

That's a pretty key feature that they don't seem to advertise (https://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-S3-20L-TSI--2015-2015-stage1dsg)?

roadrunner
February 26th, 2016, 08:46 AM
That's a pretty key feature that they don't seem to advertise (https://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-S3-20L-TSI--2015-2015-stage1dsg)?
It is a pretty obvious feature IMO... esp if going high torque like APR. Something APR missed in ver 1.
see post #72 or below screenshot.

Also remember UniTronic uses less torque than APR S1 ECU tune, so a lot kinder to transmission. That said, apparently these clutches can handle it, who knows long-term?

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/fieldsian/Misc/CP_zpsz0ybrxta.jpg

hsjyes
February 26th, 2016, 08:50 AM
It is great. Couldn't be happier with the results, the convenience factor, the performance and the great support/customer service.

Of course the ver 2 of the APR software was released this week, so perhaps that addresses some issues they had. Strange that APR added a new feature of increased CP, where as that's standard on UniTronic.

Good to hear, close to purchasing so good to know its holding up well.

crc
February 26th, 2016, 09:13 AM
It is a pretty obvious feature IMO.

Absolutely bizarre they don't advertise it. It's a key differentiator in market and essential for those who want peace of mind that their new tune isn't going to experience clutch slip. If you're trying to sell a product, why leave out features in your product description obvious or not?

roadrunner
February 26th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Absolutely bizarre they don't advertise it. It's a key differentiator in market and essential for those who want peace of mind that their new tune isn't going to experience clutch slip. If you're trying to sell a product, why leave out features in your product description obvious or not?
TBH, they seem to be more a tech bunch and marketing BS certainly not as good as APR's

Remarcabull
February 26th, 2016, 10:21 AM
TBH, they seem to be more a tech bunch and marketing BS certainly not as good as APR's

They seem accurate and straight to the point, no BS sugar coating and bling bling to make sales.

Remarcabull
February 26th, 2016, 10:22 AM
My rules would equate to freedom of speech regardless of who was paying for me to censor public opinion...and I am sure I am not alone.

+1 ,Well said.

T_S3
February 27th, 2016, 12:24 PM
So Im assuming Roadrunner got banned from this group for posting about the Unitronic?APR ECU and TCU? Admins?

jnrdavo
February 27th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Nope

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

minstrel
February 27th, 2016, 04:55 PM
So Im assuming Roadrunner got banned from this group for posting about the Unitronic?APR ECU and TCU? Admins?

Errors The following errors occurred with your submission

roadrunner has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove roadrunner from the recipient list and send the message again.

T_S3
February 27th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Errors The following errors occurred with your submission

roadrunner has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove roadrunner from the recipient list and send the message again.

Yep that's right. He's got a temp ban for posting a link up this morning about UNI and APR.

shahk62
February 27th, 2016, 06:38 PM

APR:
UniTronics:

HP
lb ft
Kw
Nm

APR

UniTronic

Variance

Background:

Install of UniTronic:

ECU tune:
DSG tune:
- In D mode:

- In S mode:

- M mode:

Initial Conclusion:

LINKS:

EDIT: 17/02 - Upgraded DSG to Stage 2 for removal of kickdowns and full M mode

Hey mate. Just wanting to know which site you got your unitronic tune from?

domino_z
February 28th, 2016, 01:23 AM
Hey mate. Just wanting to know which site you got your unitronic tune from?

He'll get back to you in a week

Lolz

minstrel
February 28th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Lolz

Shahk62, if it helps in the meantime, I'll PM you what I'm doing ...

hogclacker
February 28th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Maybe someone should start a Unitronic thread rather than an APR vs Unitronic?

I'd be interested to hear what people are doing regarding Unitronic.

hsjyes
February 29th, 2016, 07:38 AM

He got banned for posting a link?

dusktildawn
February 29th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I'm looking at my options for an ECU tune as I can't bring myself to spend 2k for an APR solution. Thanks to the OP for sharing his experiences with this unitronic tune. I'm pretty sure the aim of this forum is to share information and experiences, if we're going to get banned for doing so then what's the point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jnrdavo
February 29th, 2016, 08:21 AM
I'll be sending out a generic note shortly to all. In summary read the rules, if you continuously break then, you will receive a ban.
If you don't agree/like/care about our rules, please find another release for your questions.

Remarcabull
February 29th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I'll be sending out a generic note shortly to all. In summary read the rules, if you continuously break then, you will receive a ban.
If you don't agree/like/care about our rules, please find another release for your questions.

aka the short version, you can talk about issues/performance and bash any product you like, but you must NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES talk about issues people are having about APR, or you shall be hit hard with the ban hammer from the admins!

Sure roadrunner and i had our outs at each other on the forums about tunes, but we both learned from it, took away some great information. You ban a user that provides some great input to the community, even BOUGHT EVERY APR product for his car, but as soon as he changes to something he feels is better cheaper and reliable you have a grudge, but then he posts some links about APR and their DSG tune (wont post here, will get my bottom smacked by admins :moon::moon::moon:) and you ban hammer him! :thumbs_dn: Keep up the terrific work, soon we will have more posts about admin bans than car talk!

jnrdavo
February 29th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Read post above. It's very simple to understand.

Remarcabull
February 29th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Read post above. It's very simple to understand.

link? cant see it.

Remarcabull
February 29th, 2016, 10:50 AM

Lolz

Gone but not forgotten! will have a party in a week when he returns :) with having more time driving then posting, im looking forward to hearing how much more awsome his new tune and DSG combo are :)

ido09s
February 29th, 2016, 11:10 AM
so was it a link where someone was accused of borrowing a DSG tune?

Alister
February 29th, 2016, 11:40 AM
aka the short version, you can talk about issues/performance and bash any product you like, but you must NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES talk about issues people are having about APR, or you shall be hit hard with the ban hammer from the admins!

IMO that is a bit of a stretch of the situation.

People are obviously free to post their thoughts/feedback/reviews on any product, whether it be APR or GIAC/REVO/UniTronic etc etc etc. What is probably not appreciated is repeated or persistent bashing of a forum sponsor (in this case, APR).

IMO (and I have absolutely no vested in this), RoadRunner went a little too far with it. It is fine for him to have his opinions and to state them on this forum - at the end of the day he is one of few people here who has tried both TCU tunes. But I personally found that he was a little too forceful with the bashing of the APR product in this case, and at the end of the day, they are a forum sponsor that help keep the lights on around here.

If we don't have sponsors for the forum, we don't have a forum. It's the commercial reality of what keeps ozAudi going.

From my perspective it is no different to someone bashing any other sponsor including WaxIt, CarCareProducts, Autofidelity etc. It is absolutely OK to share an opinion on a product or service, that's exactly what forums are all about. But be mindful that we value our commercial sponsors and don't go over the top with forcing your opinion on others to the detriment of a sponsor.

Remarcabull
February 29th, 2016, 11:46 AM
so was it a link where someone was accused of borrowing a DSG tune?

Borrowing? lol

Yes there are many links, but also in those links it brings up load of other past incidents. If you want them feel free to PM me. Im not posting it here.

Remarcabull
February 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM
IMO that is a bit of a stretch of the situation.

People are obviously free to post their thoughts/feedback/reviews on any product, whether it be APR or GIAC/REVO/UniTronic etc etc etc. What is probably not appreciated is repeated or persistent bashing of a forum sponsor (in this case, APR).

IMO (and I have absolutely no vested in this), RoadRunner went a little too far with it. It is fine for him to have his opinions and to state them on this forum - at the end of the day he is one of few people here who has tried both TCU tunes. But I personally found that he was a little too forceful with the bashing of the APR product in this case, and at the end of the day, they are a forum sponsor that help keep the lights on around here.

If we don't have sponsors for the forum, we don't have a forum. It's the commercial reality of what keeps ozAudi going.

From my perspective it is no different to someone bashing any other sponsor including WaxIt, CarCareProducts, Autofidelity etc. It is absolutely OK to share an opinion on a product or service, that's exactly what forums are all about. But be mindful that we value our commercial sponsors and don't go over the top with forcing your opinion on others to the detriment of a sponsor.

Really you want to pull that card again.. keep the lights on huh? What about when ABT came along wanting to be a PAID SPONSOR and you refused them and then blacklisted their IP address so they had to use proxies.

Seems like you choose to only have one sponsor because your financially invested, so dont pull that "we only have one sponsor to keep the lights on" As a fact REVO would happily be a sponsor as well, but im sure someone who do the same thing.

Alister
February 29th, 2016, 12:08 PM
My personal opinion is that it is probably not in the forum's interests to have a raft of competitor tuning companies sponsoring it. No matter what the forum, 'which tune to go with' is always an emotion-charged topic which is bound to cause some noses to get out of joint. Ultimately something would have to give and I'm sure it'd result in some sponsors looking to withdraw their support.

In this case, if that were to be APR, it could mean curtains for ozAudi which I would personally not be happy about (have been a member here for over 10 years and would like to keep coming here despite any quirks it might have relative to the 'other' Audi forums out there).

As jnrdavo has stated, please review the forum rules and if you vehemently disagree with any part of them then this might not be the forum for you. If you are OK with them, then that's great. Please keep contributing but just try to 'play within the rules'.

domino_z
February 29th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Borrowing? lol

Yes there are many links, but also in those links it brings up load of other past incidents. If you want them feel free to PM me. Im not posting it here.

Until that bloke from UM shows the identical code proof, it's still kids behind keyboards tarnishing reputations for their personal agenda and profitable gain

ido09s
February 29th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Borrowing? lol

I used the term very loosely as I didn't want to be seen as bashing on someone ;)

My personal opinion is that it is probably not in the forum's interests to have a raft of competitor tuning companies sponsoring it. No matter what the forum, 'which tune to go with' is always an emotion-charged topic which is bound to cause some noses to get out of joint. Ultimately something would have to give and I'm sure it'd result in some sponsors looking to withdraw their support.

In this case, if that were to be APR, it could mean curtains for ozAudi which I would personally not be happy about (have been a member here for over 10 years and would like to keep coming here despite any quirks it might have relative to the 'other' Audi forums out there).

As jnrdavo has stated, please review the forum rules and if you vehemently disagree with any part of them then this might not be the forum for you. If you are OK with them, then that's great. Please keep contributing but just try to 'play within the rules'.

I couldn't think of anything better for the members of this forum actually. What better way to keep tuners honest and on their toes. Not only would tuners be more willing and up front with information about their products but I think it would only help with keeping prices down.

How long does someone need to ask for dyno readouts with a boost curve included? its been so long now that I wouldn't even consider a tune by some as they are clearly hiding something.

dusktildawn
February 29th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Rules are rules and that's fair enough, however I thought I joined a forum of Audi owners and not a forum of sponsors.

Fluffmeister
February 29th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Agreed, if your product is that good what do you have to worry about.

I used the term very loosely as I didn't wasn't to be seen as bashing on someone ;)

I couldn't think of anything better for the members of this forum actually. What better way to keep tuners honest and on their toes. Not only would tuners be more willing and up front with information about their products but I think it would only help with keeping prices down.

How long does someone need to ask for dyno readouts with a boost curve included? its been so long now that I wouldn't even consider a tune by some as they are clearly hiding something.

dstama
February 29th, 2016, 06:42 PM
I used the term very loosely as I didn't want to be seen as bashing on someone ;)

I agree 100%, would have been better to allow them to sponsor and join in. The more active involvement from everyone the better.

TBH I have no idea why people take discussions about tunes so personally. My decision would purely be based on what is best for me and my car at the time, whether it's APR, REVO, Superchips etc etc.. I couldn't care less about brand loyalty or anything else. It would come down to the product and price.

11013mb
March 1st, 2016, 12:04 AM
This forum benefits from roadrunner's participation. He influenced my APR purchases.
Anyway, I'm gonna be starting a thread soon you will all absolutely love and can't wait to hear. Will have to offcourse wait for roadrunner first ;)

I hope there's no sneaky issue in dsg transmissions of MY15 S3's that comes to surface in particular conditions and can be replicated.....

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

hsjyes
March 1st, 2016, 08:17 AM
Roadrunner influenced my purchase of Unitronic, his information has been invaluable to me and I think he is one of the members of this forum who just tells it how it is. This is how people make decisions, by listening to others who have real life experiences. If something is better than another then someone who has experienced both should be able to express this without repercussions. Isn't that what forums are for?

Donny
March 1st, 2016, 07:25 PM
Where can the UnaTronic be purchased + is there duty?

Donny
March 1st, 2016, 08:48 PM
worked it out. order from dealer that ship international or use a re-shipping service (viabox or shipito) and pay with PayPal. I live country ACT, so D-I-Y is awesome

Donny
March 2nd, 2016, 08:56 AM
pumped. should have by weekend. thanks for the find y'all

Remarcabull
March 2nd, 2016, 11:39 AM
worked it out. order from dealer that ship international or use a re-shipping service (viabox or shipito) and pay with PayPal. I live country ACT, so D-I-Y is awesome

Give me a yell when you do it, im in ACT wouldnt mind checking out the before and after :)

Donny
March 2nd, 2016, 02:39 PM
question, existing ECU tune needs to be removed before adding UnaTronic tune?

Remarcabull
March 2nd, 2016, 02:48 PM

Without a doubt! i wouldnt even risk it.

roadrunner
March 3rd, 2016, 01:45 PM
Yes, you must be stock. What you running ECU/TCU?

Donny
March 3rd, 2016, 02:55 PM
Yes, you must be stock. What you running ECU/TCU?
Cheers. removed the other flash tunes today. Did u hook up to a battery tender while flashing?

Donny
March 4th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Received the UT cable this morning.
Install of program on my LT was simple + registration straight forward.
Flash tune took me 1/4 hour. The dash lights up with errors and warnings which is apparently normal as ECU is taken offline while flashed. After completed, all errors are cleared, so no worries.

Taken the car for a decent country road spin and this tune is a BLAST!!!!!!! Bl00dy brilliant! Revs out more smoothly than the previous tune + pulls smoother/quicker thru mid/top range.

Just ordered the S-Tronic tune too.

minstrel
March 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Flash tune took me 1/4 hour. The dash lights up with errors and warnings which is apparently normal as ECU is taken offline while flashed. After completed, all errors are cleared, so no worries.

Taken the car for a decent country road spin and this tune is a BLAST!!!!!!! Bl00dy brilliant! Revs out more smoothly than the previous tune + pulls smoother/quicker thru mid/top range.

Any differences in what's displayed on the dash - oil temp added maybe? (or have you already got that from VCDS?)
Any changes in the DSG change points in D or S at your normal throttle?

Donny
March 4th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Any differences in what's displayed on the dash - oil temp added maybe? (or have you already got that from VCDS?)
Any changes in the DSG change points in D or S at your normal throttle?
only ECU tune, waiting for USA to wake up today for the DSG tune file to come through. always had oil temp on my dash. who is VCDS?

Fluffmeister
March 4th, 2016, 07:11 PM
No doubt will regret asking for the drama that follows

But what was the previous tune for comparison sake?

minstrel
March 4th, 2016, 08:17 PM
only ECU tune, waiting for USA to wake up today for the DSG tune file to come through. always had oil temp on my dash. who is VCDS?

Ross Tech Vag-Com (VCDS) is a cable and software that lets you change ECU & TCU settings, eg. autolock, DIS displayed info (like oil temp), exhaust flaps open / close, etc.
Several VCDS threads on OzAudi - just type VCDS into search box.
Or maybe look up sstora's posts as a start.

Donny
March 5th, 2016, 07:52 AM
No doubt will regret asking for the drama that follows

But what was the previous tune for comparison sake?
naturally can't say :(

loaded S-Tronic software this morning. now off for a drive down to sydney

Donny
March 6th, 2016, 06:03 AM
load UT s-tronic tune yesterday. took 10 mins to install. transforms the car. shifts are much smoother and faster. D is very much still a eco-mode for boring driving in town. S is perfect and ideal for me. UT hit this on the head. M mode much same, with cleaner shifts. may upgrade to next stage to get advantage of incr CP and M kickdown removal

over-all very happy. just keep old laptop in trunk so can flash any time. thank u guys for the UT heads up. couldnt be happier :))

-- Sent From TapTalk --

boltor
March 6th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Donny - glad to hear your UT tune is going well.

My previous experience with loading a tune myself wasn't at all positive (on a Golf R). The slightest power fluctuation caused it to have problems, ranging from not loading at all to partially loading (and the car not starting).

Sounds like the UT hand loader works well? Any need to run a battery charger at same time?

thanks.

Donny
March 6th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Donny - glad to hear your UT tune is going well.

My previous experience with loading a tune myself wasn't at all positive (on a Golf R). The slightest power fluctuation caused it to have problems, ranging from not loading at all to partially loading (and the car not starting).

Sounds like the UT hand loader works well? Any need to run a battery charger at same time?

thanks.
just switch lights, a/c and bluetooth off. load the tune. seems these home flashes like Cobb, eurodyne + UT have come a long way. easy as mate! last car took 45 mins to flash, so used a tender, the s3 takes 15 mins tops so no need for tender

Remarcabull
March 7th, 2016, 11:15 AM
just switch lights, a/c and bluetooth off. load the tune. seems these home flashes like Cobb, eurodyne + UT have come a long way. easy as mate! last car took 45 mins to flash, so used a tender, the s3 takes 15 mins tops so no need for tender

Where abouts are you in canberra, would love to come have a look, im just hoping they do it for the RS3, i know the likes of JB and COBB are getting on board with the Audis now. I know you didnt want to mention your previous tune but im sure we are all would like to know, as opinions of others count on the forum and others like seeing the experience of people who gave gone though this trouble which means your not violating any forum rules.

:)

Donny
March 7th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Where abouts are you in canberra, would love to come have a look, im just hoping they do it for the RS3, i know the likes of JB and COBB are getting on board with the Audis now. I know you didnt want to mention your previous tune but im sure we are all would like to know, as opinions of others count on the forum and others like seeing the experience of people who gave gone though this trouble which means your not violating any forum rules.

:)
APR.
doing agri business around Yass, but recent promotion so heading back to Syd full time. pm and we arrange something for when I am back up. you tuned?
Uni working on a new S-Tronic tune version giving user ability to set custom shift points

--Sent From TapTalk --

Remarcabull
March 7th, 2016, 02:04 PM
APR.
doing agri business around Yass, but recent promotion so heading back to Syd full time. pm and we arrange something for when I am back up. you tuned?
Uni working on a new S-Tronic tune version giving user ability to set custom shift points

--Sent From TapTalk --
Yeah I'm ABT tuned, so your more powerful would be interested in seeing the difference.

Nice congrats. You won't be able to use the power in Sydney like Yass [emoji3]

minstrel
March 7th, 2016, 03:56 PM

In another thread (APR DQ250 DSG tune available) I think you said Unitronic (UT) download their flash file over the internet to your laptop (LT), verify it locally, then flash your ECU / TCU. Have I got that right? Do you get to keep their flash file on your LT for security?

And before you flash with UT, I gather they upload over the internet your stock ECU / TCU map to their database, in case you want to reflash it later. Correct? Do you know if you can also keep your stock ECU / TCU map as a file on your LT, so you can reflash without the internet? That would be neat for the LT you mentioned carrying in the boot (trunk). Even my old flakey LT might be reliable enough.

That brings me to my (final?) question - can the UT software for your ECU / TCU be downloaded onto more then one LT? Then you could use the 'best' LT at home with your Uniconnect cable, and have an old LT in the boot along with your cable as a reserve when on trips.

Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

Donny
March 7th, 2016, 04:25 PM
In another thread (APR DQ250 DSG tune available) I think you said Unitronic (UT) download their flash file over the internet to your laptop (LT), verify it locally, then flash your ECU / TCU. Have I got that right? Do you get to keep their flash file on your LT for security?

And before you flash with UT, I gather they upload over the internet your stock ECU / TCU map to their database, in case you want to reflash it later. Correct? Do you know if you can also keep your stock ECU / TCU map as a file on your LT, so you can reflash without the internet? That would be neat for the LT you mentioned carrying in the boot (trunk). Even my old flakey LT might be reliable enough.

That brings me to my (final?) question - can the UT software for your ECU / TCU be downloaded onto more then one LT? Then you could use the 'best' LT at home with your Uniconnect cable, and have an old LT in the boot along with your cable as a reserve when on trips.

Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

This is what I was told: the UT software identifies the vehicle's VIN, cable ID and box codes, then supplies a relevant list of tunes you paid for. when you select one it copies and uploads the stock file to UT server & downloads the relevant tune stage, then installs it. If web connection dropped out while flashing it wouldn't interrupt flash. Nothing kept on local computer drive after the flash. I understand this enables UT support to know exactly what tunes and versions are on the vehicle.

Can use multiple computers, I have it on 2 laptops and keep old laptop in boot in case I need to remove it in an emergency (need a web connection to do so though)

peterp1972
March 7th, 2016, 07:09 PM
What an interesting thread. Had no idea that the apr tune charged so much more for the dsg tune.
Would have thought this would be more like $200 extra as it compliments the ecu tune.
I do believe that the ban for slagging the sponsor/owner of ozaudi was not called for.
If you intend to run a forum for enthusiasts then keep your 2 businesses seperate.
Alternatively rename the site to ozapr and be done with it.

Remarcabull
March 7th, 2016, 08:38 PM
What an interesting thread. Had no idea that the apr tune charged so much more for the dsg tune.
Would have thought this would be more like $200 extra as it compliments the ecu tune.
I do believe that the ban for slagging the sponsor/owner of ozaudi was not called for.
If you intend to run a forum for enthusiasts then keep your 2 businesses seperate.
Alternatively rename the site to ozapr and be done with it.
Yeah sad really. They also read your private messages and can ban you for it too. So don't sent anything personal on this forum though private messages.

Korny
March 7th, 2016, 09:16 PM
We are but mere robots devoid of opinion other than those of the moderators! Repeat, we are mere robots, we are mere robots... [emoji41]

Petty, small minded individuals...

Mac79
March 7th, 2016, 09:53 PM
I thought all the bitching and whinging was left behind in high school 20+ years ago. This once informative forum has turned into a knitting club.

minstrel
March 7th, 2016, 09:55 PM
We are but mere robots devoid of opinion other than those of the moderators! Repeat, we are mere robots, we are mere robots... [emoji41]

Petty, small minded individuals...

So am I the only one who had a go at the Admins / Mods? I heard I'm the only mug in 14,000 members.

The rules said I should PM any grumbles. So I did. I PM'd 5 out of 7 Admins (you can only PM 5 addresses at once).

I PM'd a general issue about the forum rules and their application; I wasn't batting for either side of the particular case that triggered my / our concerns.

Anyway, one Admin was good enough to reply (several times). Thanks - I mean it.

So I'll leave the matter there, except to ask if there's any support along the following lines in general ...

1) Do members (want to) know that grades of punishment fit an alleged crime, and are not arbitrarily decided? (BTW, is there a forum list of previous bans and why?)
2) Do members (want to) feel confident the Admins' discipline processes / procedures are open and fair to both sides? (Do both sides get a say? Who decides?)

belle_tb
March 8th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Trying to find info and half of the post is filled with arguing etc. Please take it somewhere else or through PM.
Can we please try and stay on topic!!?

Anyways

So it was posted that the Unitronic tune may still alter the flash counter and date. Can anyone confirm this? Sounds like a great tune and price.

Can anyone confirm the flash counter/date on APR after returning to stock?

Donny
March 8th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Trying to find info and half of the post is filled with arguing etc. Please take it somewhere else or through PM.

Anyways

So it was posted that the Unitronic tune may still alter the flash counter and date. Can anyone confirm this? Sounds like a great tune and price.

I did a bit of research prior. uni increments flash counter on both ECU+DSG, APR only on DSG. much info is this thread VWVortex.com - DSG Broken after TCU tune (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7695497-DSG-Broken-after-TCU-tune&p=93867289&viewfull=1#post93867289)

jnrdavo
March 8th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I'll say it again. Read the rules, if you have a problem with them, feel free to post on other forums.

The person that was banned has since spammed the sponsors site, posted up rude and lude comments on other forums, threatened the forum sponsor and accused me of being like cardinal pell..

If any of you think that this is normal rational behaviour and that his comments should be on this forum, then I believe you are the wrong people to be on here.

If any of you would like more information, PM me and I'd be happy to send it on to you.

There seems to be many people on here who care about free speech, but there are limits. If you like trolling and swearing at people, verbally attacking their product, business and family, join another forum.

hsjyes
March 8th, 2016, 08:09 AM
I did a bit of research prior. uni increments flash counter on both ECU+DSG, APR only on DSG. much info is this thread VWVortex.com - DSG Broken after TCU tune (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7695497-DSG-Broken-after-TCU-tune&p=93867289&viewfull=1#post93867289)

Can Audi void your warranty if they see the flash counter change? I have unitronic, flash to stock for a service will they pick this up and say too bad no more warranty? Probably should have asked this before flashing :P

Donny
March 8th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Can Audi void your warranty if they see the flash counter change? I have unitronic, flash to stock for a service will they pick this up and say too bad no more warranty? Probably should have asked this before flashing :P
uni told me it has never been flagged to date by Audi. Audi keep evolving there detection methods and from my research any tune can be detected if scrutinised. certainly won't be an issue at a service though, but any major warranty claim is open game for any tune. again, just my findings over the weekend from a lot of reading! how long you had uni?

-- Sent From TapTalk --

jnrdavo
March 8th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Depends on who you talk to mate. I don't think we have a definitive answer on this one... Search the forum for TD1.. talked about many times. Stories from both sides of the fence saying that it was detected, and wasn't, for same tunes...

hsjyes
March 8th, 2016, 12:58 PM
uni told me it has never been flagged to date by Audi. Audi keep evolving there detection methods and from my research any tune can be detected if scrutinised. certainly won't be an issue at a service though, but any major warranty claim is open game for any tune. again, just my findings over the weekend from a lot of reading! how long you had uni?

-- Sent From TapTalk --

Thanks for the replies guys. Only had the tune just over 2 weeks. Beautiful thing!

Donny
March 8th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Only had the tune just over 2 weeks. Beautiful thing!

yeah, very smooth and powerful. I really like it.

Remarcabull
March 8th, 2016, 01:36 PM
yeah, very smooth and powerful. I really like it.

Feel like trying this unitune out! seems like the the pick of the bunch while not using as much boost as others do.

Donny
March 8th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Feel like trying this unitune out! seems like the the pick of the bunch while not using as much boost as others do.

max 22.5psi

Remarcabull
March 8th, 2016, 01:56 PM
max 22.5psi
That's perfect. I don't like the 27 psi mentioned by users on water-cooled on Apr tune. I've hit 21.5 on my abt tune using the manifold pressure I believe.

11013mb
March 8th, 2016, 02:02 PM

Anyways

All the talk about flash counter and doesnt worry me

I have had to deal with the full investigation by Audi on my car post tune for some heavy warranty work

Nothing found.data went back to Germany (all you S3 8v owners ve prepared to be contacted by Audi individually if you are MY15 is all I am saying now)

I haven't received my car yet

I'll post later full story but don't get paranoid re flash counter

If Audi Germany can't find it no one can or bothers

11013mb
March 8th, 2016, 02:02 PM
It's a very small foot to stand on re counter so don't get paranoid

Enjoy tuning life

11013mb
March 8th, 2016, 02:11 PM

-- Sent From TapTalk --
I will also find oil in my backyard and gold in my driveway if I persistent as well so Audi Will find things if they want but they need to on a high foot

jaydece
March 8th, 2016, 02:28 PM
That's perfect. I don't like the 27 psi mentioned by users on water-cooled on Apr tune. I've hit 21.5 on my abt tune using the manifold pressure I believe.

Can anyone confirm?

I overheard that this 27psi being measured and seen is not the true boost value? due to the sampling rate speed that the logs are taken, the logs shows spikes of 27psi...but this in turn does not represent 27psi or 27psi spikes? Hope that made sense ....

Is there evidence of a boost gauge to suggest otherwise or confirm 27psi? Really eager to find out ...

Hence why that dyno day being organized by Guy with boost values, AFR, etc for the various tunes will be really worth while ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Farken

andrewjamesdean
March 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM
All the talk about flash counter and doesnt worry me

I have had to deal with the full investigation by Audi on my car post tune for some heavy warranty work

Nothing found.data went back to Germany (all you S3 8v owners ve prepared to be contacted by Audi individually if you are MY15 is all I am saying now)

I haven't received my car yet

I'll post later full story but don't get paranoid re flash counter

If Audi Germany can't find it no one can or bothers

peterp1972
March 8th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Can anyone confirm?

I overheard that this 27psi being measured and seen is not the true boost value? due to the sampling rate speed that the logs are taken, the logs shows spikes of 27psi...but this in turn does not represent 27psi or 27psi spikes? Hope that made sense ....

Is there evidence of a boost gauge to suggest otherwise or confirm 27psi? Really eager to find out ...

Hence why that dyno day being organized by Guy with boost values, AFR, etc for the various tunes will be really worth while ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Farken

Lets wait and see what figures are reached on the Dyno day and what boost figures it took to achieve them.
Seems to be a nice combination of tunes to make it interesting.

belle_tb
March 8th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Flash counter/date are the only thing putting me off Unitronic. The price is great and lower PSI. APR has apparently been detected due to date not being changed so what is the point of replacing with the stock file and modifying just the flash counter

Donny
March 8th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Flash counter/date are the only thing putting me off Unitronic. The price is great and lower PSI. APR has apparently been detected due to date not being changed so what is the point of replacing with the stock file and modifying just the flash counter
facts are NO tune is undetectable and NO tuners claims it to be. if you go in for a general service and the tune is present (not flashed to stock) a TD1 will be raised, unflashed you will currently pass. go in for a warranty claim such as turbo, it comes down to the level of analysis done and the tech in Germany. if you not prepared to possibly pay for repairs, then don't tune either flash or tunebox.
example, 2016 a3 2.0 blown turbo? (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/690195-2016-a3-2-0-blown-turbo?p=11388622&viewfull=1#post11388622)

Remarcabull
March 9th, 2016, 09:19 AM
facts are NO tune is undetectable and NO tuners claims it to be. if you go in for a general service and the tune is present (not flashed to stock) a TD1 will be raised, unflashed you will currently pass. go in for a warranty claim such as turbo, it come done to the level of analysis done and the tech in Germany. if you not prepared to possibly pay for repairs, then don't tune either flash or tunebox.
example, 2016 a3 2.0 blown turbo? (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/690195-2016-a3-2-0-blown-turbo?p=11388622&viewfull=1#post11388622)

And if you do tune, i wouldnt want to be going over 23 PSI on stock turbo like a few tuners, again, do your research, just googling audi s3 golf r blown turbo will give you more than enough info.

Remarcabull
March 9th, 2016, 09:24 AM

I wouldnt let it put you off, i have one of the first revisions of turbos 702H 32000km around 270+kw (intercooler, turbo back and ABT tune) not as much PSI as others i think mines hit 21ish as stated before. if your turbo does blow its only $4700, hell you can buy a spare one for $1300 and keep it as insurance then the repair would only be around $2800.

I doubt you have the first revisions and you have the latest turbo so i wouldnt worry unless you choose something that pushes over 23 PSI

belle_tb
March 9th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I also have extended warranty (awesome present) so if i ever do get detected, ill have to get my money back on that - probably not worth it if the most expensive parts aren't covered

At least with your turbo, if it blows - it should be covered under warranty . Unless you mean that yours is the one after?

kyromillar85
March 9th, 2016, 05:49 PM
How is the UT DSG tune holding up over time?? Any issues with reverting back to OEM, gears slipping, etc...

Donny
March 9th, 2016, 06:07 PM
How is the UT DSG tune holding up over time?? Any issues with reverting back to OEM, gears slipping, etc...

OP is banned. suggest you need to redirect questions to here.... APR vs UniTronic ECU & DSG tunes (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/690870-APR-vs-UniTronic-ECU-amp-DSG-tunes)

hsjyes
March 10th, 2016, 07:08 AM
OP is banned. suggest you need to redirect questions to here.... APR vs UniTronic ECU & DSG tunes (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/690870-APR-vs-UniTronic-ECU-amp-DSG-tunes)

He is banned again? He was posting a few days ago....

Donny
March 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM
He is banned again? He was posting a few days ago....
yes. too outspoken and opinionated. very helpful bloke tho + has v good knowledge, so just ping him re questions

-- Sent From TapTalk --

hogclacker
March 10th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Getting close to pulling the pin on Unitronic, just waiting until my first service is completed in a couple of weeks.

One question Donny, did you go stage 1 or stage 1+ for the ECU tune? What other hardware do you have on your car?

Donny
March 10th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Getting close to pulling the pin on Unitronic, just waiting until my first service is completed in a couple of weeks.

One question Donny, did you go stage 1 or stage 1+ for the ECU tune? What other hardware do you have on your car?

no hardware. definitely go s1+, s1 is for low grade fuel. why wait for first service? if unflash it wont be detected.

interesting that Cobb is planning to get into tuning vw/audi...awesome!

-- Sent From TapTalk --

Remarcabull
March 10th, 2016, 11:28 AM
no hardware. definitely go s1+, s1 is for low grade fuel. why wait for first service? if unflash it wont be detected.

interesting that Cobb is planning to get into tuning vw/audi...awesome!

-- Sent From TapTalk --

Will finally have some great brand that dont push things to the limits, this will keep the competition honest if not push them out. Cant wait to see what they all bring to the table.

hogclacker
March 10th, 2016, 11:34 AM

And did you go s2 for the DSG tune?

I'll need to confirm Unitronic can do MY15 with a build date of May 2015 too - will shoot off an email to them.

hsjyes
March 10th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Hey Donny, who did you source the Uniconnect+ cable from?

Donny
March 10th, 2016, 12:02 PM
And did you go s2 for the DSG tune?

I'll need to confirm Unitronic can do MY15 with a build date of May 2015 too - will shoot off an email to them.

source from either qld dealer or ModdedEuros. i detailed how to buy a few pages back. S1 DSG

minstrel
March 10th, 2016, 03:01 PM
source from either qld dealer or ModdedEuros. i detailed how to buy a few pages back. S1 DSG

Be aware you need to buy tune software to buy the cable. You cannot buy the cable alone - tune software must be registered to the cable.

UT told me "the UniConnect+ cable cannot be assigned to a Client's account that does not exist, as the first step in a Dealer fulfilling his responsibilities on a UniConnect+ sale is to properly assign it to a Client's account. A Client's account is created upon the purchase of Performance Software, whether with or without a UniConnect+ cable, within our system."

So if you buy a cable from X, you'll have to also buy a tune from X .. unless you already have a tune.

hsjyes
March 10th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Oh, I already have the tune and cable, I was just wondering where Donny got his from :)

Donny
March 10th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Oh, I already have the tune and cable, I was just wondering where Donny got his from :)
according to RR last week, around 10+ people had bought Uni thus far

belle_tb
March 11th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Only 10? :/

Donny
March 11th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Only 10? :/
who knows? 10+ ppl in oz had contacted him on purchasing details and re the review. seems a few here are running uni now

Alister
March 11th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Good to hear that there is a few out there running the UniTronic.

With a bit of luck we some one or two run the quarter and/or attend the NSW dyno day.

belle_tb
March 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Im very close to deciding.

ABT = Very expensive but has the warranty. My extended warranty would be almost useless (unless something electrical went wrong etc)

APR = Reports of date not being changed, but flash counter is reset, so less obvious. Higher PSI and higher torque

JB1 = AFR issues? And lower power

Unitronic=no flash counter/date reset, awesome price - would get both DSG and ECU tune for less than the price of an APR ECU tune, less boost, less torque/more power. Could use leftover money (price difference between this and APR to go towards any possible issues), can swap over myself, again - extended warranty issues

Alister
March 11th, 2016, 12:30 PM
My extended warranty would be almost useless (unless something electrical went wrong etc)

If it is the Audi branded extended warranty, it'd still cover plenty of things, but obviously your warranty on the key drivetrain components (engine, gearbox, etc) could be compromised.

belle_tb
March 11th, 2016, 12:58 PM
I got it through Allianz i think...as it was bought for me so i don't know the specifics

Donny
March 11th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Im very close to deciding.

ABT = Very expensive but has the warranty. My extended warranty would be almost useless (unless something electrical went wrong etc)

APR = Reports of date not being changed, but flash counter is reset, so less obvious. Higher PSI and higher torque

JB1 = AFR issues? And lower power

Unitronic=no flash counter/date reset, awesome price - would get both DSG and ECU tune for less than the price of an APR ECU tune, less boost, less torque/more power. Could use leftover money (price difference between this and APR to go towards any possible issues), can swap over myself, again - extended warranty issues
APR has known TD1 flag, no tune is safe. if concerned about warranty do not tune. so tired of TD1 being on the mix. APR is overpriced in Oz hugely, and certainly äint superior, as i had it prior.

belle_tb
March 11th, 2016, 06:03 PM
TD1 is always going to be a topic put up for discussion.

There will also be instances where parts will fail that are not caused by the tune, but because there is that note on your file will cause you to be out of pocket when you shouldn't be....

11013mb
March 12th, 2016, 09:42 PM
APR has known TD1 flag, no tune is safe. if concerned about warranty do not tune. so tired of TD1 being on the mix. APR is overpriced in Oz hugely, and certainly äint superior, as i had it prior.
Which example and case were you referring to?
Depends on what they look for
I'd blown turbo for sure they wil dig

Donny
March 14th, 2016, 08:54 PM
this uni tune is so good, just hauls and is relentless. luv it