PDA

View Full Version : JB1 piggyback for 8V S3 - technical questions

DR20T
April 2nd, 2017, 05:15 PM
Hi All,

Considering the above system for the S3, mainly due to interrupt style which doesn't impact oem ecu.

I've done some research over the last few days and have a couple of questions for those that may have experience with it.

Does the boost increase apply across the board with Map 1? I.e is boost raised at redline by the same proportion as mid range?

My question stems from a concern I have over post turbo backpressure with the stock dump pipe. If boost is raised by 4.8psi in the top end, without knowing what egbp is post turbo (and pre for more important for that matter), then it's difficult to understand wether the factory valve timing is sufficient enough or now inducing reversion.

Given the JB1 does not vary the valve timing, it's important to know.

Alternatively, if there's a way to adjust some parameters so that boost can be tapered if need be (or better still, if the jb1 can accommodate fueling changes to suit a dump pipe that will remove some of the backpressure), then that would be great.

Mick

rprodrive
April 2nd, 2017, 06:46 PM
If you have tricky questions always contact George at Burger Tuning - he is awesome and always happy to help.

For Map 1 the basic settings already have a taper - it is the peak that is 4.8. It will look something like this:

1500 0
2000 1
2500 2
3000 3.5
3500 4.8
4000 4.8
4500 4.8
5000 4.8
5500 4.8
6000 4.8
6500 4.0
7000 3

If you are worried about boost levels - do some logs and use Map 6. You can adjust the boost addition in 500rpm increments.

It is definitely worth upgrading your Jb1 to the Jb4 - it is a lot smoother and can adjust fuel better - it runs a richer AFR than even stock. You can also adjust boost maximums by gear which is helpful for 1st gear on the S3.

Plus the logging ability on the JB4 is incredible.

jaydece
April 2nd, 2017, 10:15 PM
Hey Mick?! Welcome to the family ehehehe ....as RPRODRIVE stated above ...email George at BM....great and communicative! He will answer all your questions.

I had and JB1 and loved it with map 1 and map 6. I too would recommend JB4 for your needs and your deep knowledge in cars and engines ...

Also, check out the GOLFMK7 forum for JB1/JB4 as there's heaps and heaps of information on that forum with questions that BM and George has answered since day 1 and feedback from customers etc..

It helped me allot....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DR20T
April 2nd, 2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Prodrive - need to look into the JB4

Juzzy - great to see you here dude. Joined the dark side (it was inevitable really)

Will update with findings as I go

Mick

DR20T
April 3rd, 2017, 06:48 PM
Just bit the bullet and purchased a JB4 unit.

Thanks for for your advice. Will update this thread / my build thread once I create one, with my findings and workings

Mick

rprodrive
April 3rd, 2017, 09:24 PM
Just bit the bullet and purchased a JB4 unit.

Thanks for for your advice. Will update this thread / my build thread once I create one, with my findings and workings

Mick

A couple of tips:

* run the OBD cable through the driver's side - but get a heat shield for the wiring like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201621222512?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

* use an android phone with OTG capability and run the JB4 application (costs $30). The app is fantastic. You don't need the bluetooth module which is quite expensive.

DR20T
April 3rd, 2017, 11:26 PM
Many thanks again for the tips

I don't own an android phone but do have a small Asus notepad - don't know if that will work but worth a shot

With the obd cable - is there a cleaner way of installing it without piercing the rubber firewall gromet? I'm keen on leaving no trace when it comes to the jb4 system.

I'm excited to receive and install the unit.

Mick

oos38v
April 4th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Yo Mick, its the other Juzzy from Sydney. Ez30rb :)

Welcome to S3 club. im keen on the jb4 as well. Lets hook up

DR20T
April 4th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Seems like everyone's here!

Sounds good mate come past when you're free

Mick

rprodrive
April 4th, 2017, 09:35 PM
Many thanks again for the tips

I don't own an android phone but do have a small Asus notepad - don't know if that will work but worth a shot

With the obd cable - is there a cleaner way of installing it without piercing the rubber firewall gromet? I'm keen on leaving no trace when it comes to the jb4 system.

I'm excited to receive and install the unit.

Mick

Notepad will work.

You can just remove the gromet but might get more noise through the firewall. You can always buy a spare gromet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/plug/5q0723753/

DR20T
April 4th, 2017, 09:47 PM
Yeah thought about the gromet after I posted that !

Thanks for clarifying on the notepad.

Im excited to try this

Mick