PDA

View Full Version : Which tune for S3

Blue1
May 28th, 2017, 12:15 PM
So, time to tune my S3. Done plenty of research and have it narrowed down to 3 options:

1 - OEM+ stage 1 tune, 260kw & 485nm $1750 Brisbane tuner
2 - Unitronic stage 1+ 275kw & 475nm $1050 Brisbane tuner (or online option)
3 - JB4 various maps / tunes available - piggy back unit $649 Autoinstruct

I like OEM+ as I work close to the tuner, and I've purchased hardware from them so I'm confident of good service and back up if something goes wrong, but I don't know anyone who has this tune, and it is the most expensive option.

Unitronic have good reviews and it's significantly cheaper than OEM+ but I'm concerned its a US tune and may not be completely compatible with our hot climate cars with 4 port & 4 direct injectors. But, so many positive reviews so it must be ok, and I have the option to buy it direct and install it myself. I've e-mailed them regarding compatiability so hope to here back soon.

JB4, can't argue with the price, and it has so many good data capture options. And you can custom tune your own boost levels in Map 6, how cool is that? But it works by tricking the ECU into making more boost, so is it as refined as a tune? If you have one, how often do you tweek it, or have you just left it on map 1 or 2?

My S3's out of warranty so I have no concerns there. I do have a manual transmission so I like the lower torque figure of the Unitronic tune and the adjustability of the JB4 to limit boost in any gears, but have budgeted for a clutch replacement should I need one.

Cost being no object I'd choose the OEM+ tune, but I'm leaning towards the Unitronic Stage 1+ as $700 is a big chunk of cash. Any input welcome.....

BCH44
May 28th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Go with whom you feel most comfortable...service backup is always a dollar well spent and if your like most if us stg 1 won't be enough and you can get stg2 from same tunner on the base stg 1 ..I go for service every time..
JM2CW..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

2muchcoffeeman
May 28th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I did OEM+ and DSG tune on my Golf R (sadly a few months before it was traded last week) and I was thrilled. Way better than stock, smooth, progressive and damn quick. It totally transformed the car and whoever ultimately gets it when it's sold is in for a surprise the first time he plants his foot (and hits the brakes for that matter).

I'd do it again without hesitation.

SilvRFoxx
May 28th, 2017, 02:03 PM
It does contribute to oil usage.. I did the same

richierichhsv
May 29th, 2017, 07:43 AM
I've only heard positive comments about BPS Auto. I think they charge around the $1100 for stage 1.
I cant think of the tuners name, but he has been tuning for years on Vag cars.
Have a look at there web site. There at Cleveland. :big_wink:

Blue1
May 29th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. richierichhsv, how do you find your Sachs Clutch, is it a single mass unit and if so is it noisy? Is it harder to launch with the SMF?

richierichhsv
May 30th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. richierichhsv, how do you find your Sachs Clutch, is it a single mass unit and if so is it noisy? Is it harder to launch with the SMF?

It was in the car when i bought it secondhand, not sure. No noise whats so ever. I dont notice it but when other people drive it they cant believe how hard it is to depress the clutch. Launching it is a breeze:woah2:

Wood Duck
May 31st, 2017, 10:53 PM
I've had the JB4 for a few months now and really like it. George from BMS is great and helped me tweak a custom map 6, which gives me the power I want plus drivability. I'm also running CAI with BMS turbo inlet elbow, TMD, DV+ and 034 Dogbone mount.
Until my warranty runs out that's probably as much as I am willing to do, but I am very happy with how the car has transformed so far.

Audi S3 MY16 Daytona Grey

dstama
June 3rd, 2017, 01:06 PM
Until my warranty runs out that's probably as much as I am willing to do, but I am very happy with how the car has transformed so far.

Have you have taken your car into the dealer for either warranty work/servicing?

If so, did you remove the tune and presumably there was no TD1 flag?

Wood Duck
June 3rd, 2017, 01:08 PM
Have you have taken your car into the dealer for either warranty work/servicing?

If so, did you remove the tune and presumably there was no TD1 flag?

The car isn't due for its first service until August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue1
June 12th, 2017, 09:07 AM
And the winner is.........................Unitronic. Wow, what an awesome tune. I love it. When you get the Stage 1+ tune they also give you the Stage 1 tune as well. I can also roll it back to stock if I want. Hardest part was setting up the account with Unitronic. The tune took 15 minutes to do in my own carport! Holly S*!T this thing punches hard now. Very happy :woah2:

Lanzo84
July 27th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Has anyone out there directly compared OEM+ to Unitronic to APR? I am particularly interested in getting some more first hand reports from people who have gone OEM+ as there is not much info out there about it.

rprodrive
July 30th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Has anyone out there directly compared OEM+ to Unitronic to APR? I am particularly interested in getting some more first hand reports from people who have gone OEM+ as there is not much info out there about it.

I spoke with an owner at a recent dyno day in Melbourne and he wasn't happy with his OEM+. He said it wasn't as powerful as the JB4 he traded in (free trade in - there was some promotion OEM+ was offering). That's just one customer, i am sure there are lots of happy people too.

Lanzo84
July 30th, 2017, 09:44 PM
I spoke with an owner at a recent dyno day in Melbourne and he wasn't happy with his OEM+. He said it wasn't as powerful as the JB4 he traded in (free trade in - there was some promotion OEM+ was offering). That's just one customer, i am sure there are lots of happy people too.

Stage 1 OEM+?

rprodrive
July 30th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Stage 1 OEM+?

Yeah just a stage 1

mungee
September 13th, 2019, 02:15 PM
thanks for this info

Brandon-S3-2016
November 10th, 2019, 04:15 PM
For $1750 Id rather go for APR. $1499 stage 1 or the JB4 u can pick up some used ones with the Bluetooth app for around $600. Plus George will always be there to help with mappings