Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Milka's RS6 Build thread.....

ah ha! That makes more sense... (insert mad scientist jokes here)...

Quote Originally Posted by Milka View Post
    Here is step 1 just completed...

Attachment 31680
    Looks like something out of the TV series Dexter.

Iím not saying where I got the idea from, but may have other uses once the engine is built....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MMMM, twin GTX3071s, twin 38mm Tials, Triple plate clutch, damn Twin or Triple everything....

Engine is clean and ready to go, doesnít look like itís got 90k kms in it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MMMM, twin GTX3071s, twin 38mm Tials, Triple plate clutch, damn Twin or Triple everything....

I was in the cleanroom/lab equipment industry a lifetime ago. That is quite impressive. Can you show us some shots from the outside? And did you have an air filter?

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

6. Default

Damn did a big reply and seems to have been lost...

Oh well here goes again...

The reason I have the GTX Gen 1 turbos is that they were brand new when I first did my build all the years ago. If it was me now I would probably do the G25-660 with vbands, but since everything I have done is based on T3 Twin scroll housings moving to the G25/G30 is a bit of a pain. Neither the G25 or G30 is available with a T3 twin scroll housing, now I could move to ATP .92 T3 housing for the G25 but it's not twin scroll so will probably spool a little slower than if I went to GTX3071 GEN2 with .82 Twin scroll..... Also the G25/G30 are a little longer than the GTX turbos, not much but a little. I prefer the external gates on this kind of setup as I think it allows me better control of boost especially if i'm going to push it up to 30psi. Just double check if the internal gate turbos are again longer than the External turbine housings.

On the clutch front the Carbon-Carbon is great as a daily but did wear quite quickly as I was daily driving it into work. Then again I could just rebuild it with a spacer worth $250 back to original stack height.

Now if I was you I would start with G25-660 turbos, run twin external gates, start with .72 housings unless you intend to push boost past 22psi, in which case I would start with the larger .92 housings. The reason I was looking at the G30 is that i like to balance my turbo out comp/turbine wheel and i believe that the G30 is better balanced. it's the same size comp housing and even the turbine housing flanges are interchangeable between the G25/G30. Check out the garrett website and check all the drawings out for lengths and diameters.

Hope this helps a bit.
    I have finally ordered some boost. I ended going G30-660. As friend of mine promised to make the manifolds with external valves and I also liked the idea to have larger turbine wheel. I ordered with .61 housings as the larger wheel flows same as G25 with 0.72.
    The internal wastegate adds around 30mm of lenght to the turbo and couple of measurements proved it will be very difficult to make a downpipe that fits. So I had to go with external wastegates.
    Gates will be Tial MV-s.

I will try to update you how these perform. Probably it will be like 6-9 months before first startup...

Thanks mate, but shipping has been killing me, time it takes to get stuff from the US/Germany is crazy at the moment.
    Hard to believe but I ordered an alternator from the US last year, took 6 weeks to get into their stock BUT... Two days to get from mid USA to my front door. Unheard of.... really impressed. I'll be spoilt forever now.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by Anagonda View Post
    I have finally ordered some boost. I ended going G30-660. As friend of mine promised to make the manifolds with external valves and I also liked the idea to have larger turbine wheel. I ordered with .61 housings as the larger wheel flows same as G25 with 0.72.
    The internal wastegate adds around 30mm of lenght to the turbo and couple of measurements proved it will be very difficult to make a downpipe that fits. So I had to go with external wastegates.
    Gates will be Tial MV-s.

I will try to update you how these perform. Probably it will be like 6-9 months before first startup...

Well I have just upgraded the internals to GTX3071 Gen2 so we should then have data for for all 3 configs