Thread: Fuel Tank Sensor Malfunction

Default Fuel Tank Sensor Malfunction

It started about 2 weeks ago when I turned on my car and it said I had 0 fuel left but I knew I had about a quarter tank left. So I took it to fill it up and the fuel gauge then read full and ran normally until today. Started the car to go out to dinner and hear the error beep and a warning on my DIS saying 'Tank Malfunction. Contact Workshop' with the fuel gauge once again reading 0. Restarted the car, error was gone and the fuel gauge was working properly.

Anyway, leaving dinner, the error popped up again when I started the car. So I restarted the car but this time it wouldn't go away. No problems driving home though seeing that it just measures fuel. But I did notice that the error on comes up when I'm below 1 quarter tank.

Any ideas on the problem? I just had the car taken in to Audi for its third service last week. I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow to see if I can take it to them to have a look. Would it cost me anything to fix seeing that it is just 3yrs and 2wks old and that I got it service last week?

Note: I always fill up with Shell V-Power.
    A3 3Dr (8P) 2007 | 2.0 FSI | Tiptronic - DSP | Ambition | Lava Grey Pearl Effect
    S5 Sportback 2010 | Quarz Grey | 19" RS6 Wheels | Bang and Olufsen Sound System | TV | Rear Camera | Memory Seats

I called Audi Brisbane and am booked in on Tuesday. The service guy seemed sceptical about the problem saying that if both digital and gauge show zero then I am running on vapours.

Edit: Here is a pic.
    Last edited by joshie_a3; February 12th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
    A3 3Dr (8P) 2007 | 2.0 FSI | Tiptronic - DSP | Ambition | Lava Grey Pearl Effect
    S5 Sportback 2010 | Quarz Grey | 19" RS6 Wheels | Bang and Olufsen Sound System | TV | Rear Camera | Memory Seats

The fuel guage sender in your tank is faulty.
    It's a potentiometer and seems to be damaged on the bottom section which would be when you have lowish fuel.

Any idea on the cost or even if I would need to pay seeing that it is only 3yrs and 2wks old?

Quote Originally Posted by joshie_a3 View Post
    Any idea on the cost or even if I would need to pay seeing that it is only 3yrs and 2wks old?
    not sure but even if its one day over the 3 year warranty you pay full price.

Wouldn't it be covered under statutory warranty?
    Last edited by joshie_a3; February 15th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

I would doubt it. Goodwill waranty sometimes covers driveline failure when the vehicle is out of waranty but not smaller things like fuel sender failure.

Just an update. Took my car to Audi this morning and apparently it's booked in for Tuesday next week. I swear the guy said Tuesday (today) but I may be wrong because I'm use to service from Merc and Porsche where I can go in the next day to have my problem fixed.

The service staff said that bookings are made 1 wk in advanced. Is this the norm for Audi? Fair enough for just a general servicing but what happens if a car breaks down meaning a driver will be without a car for over a week?

I'm not angry, just a little bit annoyed that I had to get up early for nothing.
    On the way home, I filled up 20L into my tank. Before I started, the gauge showed 0L, when I started it, it was just above half tank.

Success! Just got my car back and fixed! Great service from Mark (Service rep) at Audi Brisbane. Called me twice today to keep me updated on what was going on with my car and offered a coffee as soon as I walked in.

The problem turns out to be "Fuel gauge sender internal failure".

Initially, they quoted me approximately $600 (including labour) to repair. This is steep but Mark said he'd contact Audi to see if they can pick up the cost seeing that it was only 1 month over the warranty and still under 45000km (only done 27000km). Second call of the day was to confirm that Audi has picked up the cost of the part and that I only had to pay for the labour (reasonable cost).

Lastly, Mark was apologetic when he saw that the service team filled up my fuel tank without my permission (to test the system). I was fine with it anyway as I was going to fill it up on the way home.