Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: The Genuine Watch Thread

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David A3T View Post
    Hi ICUDr, I haven't tried either of them on but will probably check out Swiss Concept here in Sydney.

I know they are very different watches but the Rolex is probably more dad's style. I have read and seen the 34mm wears bigger than it is. I would prefer to buy it locally so I will see how I go.

Did you get a discount on yours?
    My usual dealer gave me $300 off my GMT2 and a leather card holder. No discounts on Rolex sport steel watches. In Australia there is a waiting list for Subs and GMTs.

Omega will give you a discount. 20-30% if you push hard. Depending on the model.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David A3T View Post
    Ok went to a few stores today to try on and I am a bit disappointed the Rolex 36mm watches look much smaller in real life (didn't even bother with 34mm). In terms of prices for the Rolex's one place said no discounts on stainless steel models, two places said 5% and one place quoted ~9%. This is without any hard haggling or committing to buying on the spot. I would assume I could get at least 10% off if I was seriously buying it that day. In terms of the Omega, I was offered 15% off without even trying.

Since 36mm is kind of out I have now narrowed down to the following:

https://www.rolex.com/watches/oyster...4300-0001.html
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/explor...4270-0003.html
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...1130423001006/

A 41mm Datejust would be perfect but out of my price range with RRP at $12k.

What do you guys think?
    All beautiful watches.

I personally love Moonwatches and that'd be my pick. But I'd get the lowest possible price for it.

I saw the Rolex with the graysh face, really well made and beautiful face. Great quality of materials but my concern was long term ownership. There are many watches that at the moment look awesome (for example omega Seamaster with lots of orange bits?. Blue watches are hot now, full black/ceramic watches were hot a couple of years ago) And now they don't look as good or people don't wear them as often because they have lost their appeal as people move to wards the trend.

I normally buy classic colours that will age well and will look good for many years to come. Yes, I still sometimes regret not buying that black and blue GMT2 (aka batman) but I think my black vessel was a good choice

Duty Free watches: 10 years ago almost bought a Tag Formula 1 at Brisbane's DF. I end up buying it at my locally shop, way cheaper and the newer model!

It could be possible to grab a bargain but do your research first. DF cash up on emotional buyers who may not know the best price of the watch they are trying on. 9/10 times their prices aren't competitive and you have to bargain hard with them. Just IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by ICUDr View Post
    No discounts on Rolex sport steel watches. In Australia there is a waiting list for Subs and GMTs.

Omega will give you a discount. 20-30% if you push hard. Depending on the model.

Yeah a couple of them looked at me like I was crazy for asking. Like everyone pays full price for stainless steel models didn't you know?

If I could get 30% off on the Omega Moonwatch that would definitely make the decision for me...will have to try and make a serious offer next time.
    2005 A3 2.0T | Dolphin Grey|DSG|Leather|Xenons|RNS-E SOLD
    2002 A3 1.8T |SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    what about duty free? Know anybody travelling overseas soon?
    If you declare it, or you're caught, it'll cost as much or more than a local buy and less chance of a sympathetic warranty. There is a base price from the factory plus local taxes plus what ever you can get. Clearly, with Rolex they know that they have enough enthusiasts out there to take care of the available sales. I mean, would you take a pay cut, which is what is being suggested.

Intriguing approach, any one of these watches is built to last a lifetime, and they do with reasonable maintenance. Buying on a snapshot in time fashion trend (watch face size or colour for example) doesn't give the top line watches any respect for the craftsmanship and quality of components that went into their construction.

Better off buying a repo and bin it when the fashion changes, the cockroach will probably last that long. Sort of seems that fashion is far more important than function.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8