Thread: Audi A6/RS6/Allroad C5 fuel tank RECALL

Exclamation Audi A6/RS6/Allroad C5 fuel tank RECALL

Not sure if anybody here has seen this yet, but i'm definitely taking my RS6 in next month to have this looked at, I find that when I have very low fuel levels it seems to go empty even if I haven't driven the vehicle!

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 11V267000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    AUDI / A6 2001-2004
    AUDI / RS6 2003
    AUDI / S6 2002-2003
    Manufacturer: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Mfr's Report Date: APR 26, 2011
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V267000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 5,992

VOLKSWAGEN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2004 AUDI A6, MODEL YEAR 2002-2003 S6 AND MODEL YEAR 2003 RS6 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.2L ENGINES AND MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 19, 2001, THROUGH JUNE 8, 2004. THE AGING OF THE PLASTIC MATERIAL IN THE FUEL TANK ROLLOVER VALVE COMBINED WITH BENDING STRESS FROM THE ALUMINUM VENTILATION LINE TO THE ROLLOVER VALVE NIPPLE MAY LEAD TO CRACKING OF THE NIPPLE. IF THIS HAPPENS, A FUEL LEAK MAY RESULT.

Consequence:
    A FUEL LEAK IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD LEAD TO A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REINFORCE THE NIPPLE ON THE ROLLOVER VALVE TO PREVENT LEAKAGE OR REPAIR THE CRACKING AT THE NIPPLE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT AUDI AT 1-800-822-2834.

Notes:
    VOLKSWAGEN SAFETY RECALL NO. 20L8/JY. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
    Last edited by kienchil; May 12th, 2011 at 11:49 PM.

The recall only applies to the US though right?

I've experiened the same thing with my RS6. When the low fuel indicator has only recently come on and you think you've got an 1/8th of a tank left... park it and the next thing it's on empty. Then go fill it up and it takes 74-75 litres meaning 5-6 litres was left in the tank when showing empty which kind of makes sense. But certainly the speed that the gauge drops from betwen 1/4 and 1/8 of a tank to empty seems to be out of proportion to km's travelled. Maybe this is designed in or maybe an anomolly of some gauges... dunno... anybody?

If you had a fuel leak you'd surely smell it or see evidence where you park it wouldn't you??

Yes true there does seem to be about 5 litres left even when the guage shows it as empty. As for the recall I don't know, aren't all our cars designed and built off the same plan apart from RHD/LHD? Might call the local Audi dealer but they'll probably try to wriggle out of it!

I'm almost certain that my previous car had this problem even though its outside of those models stated. It was a 98 C5 2.8Q I had an issue where the fuel would go from say distance to empty 80kms to 0 over night and at one point i could actually see petrol on the road! i took it to my brother who is a mechanic he tightened up something that was under the rear seat, and it stopped doing it but i sold the car not long after. I think the recall should be covering Aus models and older C5's as well.
    Previous:
    B5 A4 1.8T
    C5 A6 2.8Q

Current:
    MK5 GTI 2.0T

Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Re the recall. I think you'll find that Audi USA, Audi Australia etc. are their own entities who each determine if the recall is required - just because it happens in the US doesn't mean it will happen here.

Eg. the C5 RS6 was recalled in the US due to the high incidence of DRC suspensions failures but not in Australia.

But watching in interest if the recall does happen here!