Thread: Q5 3.0L Stalling when you come to a stop.

1. Default Q5 3.0L Stalling when you come to a stop.

I have had this problem for quite a few months now, I have over 100,000k on the car but this started before the warranty ran out. Audi have only now after 3 visits started to take it seriously, most times it gives you a jolt as though you have been hit up the backside, then other times it stalls the engine, there is no pattern to it, it can be as smooth [as smooth as this gearbox can be] and normal for a week, then out of the blue start playing up, the stalling can happen 2 to 3 times a day and then not do it for a week or more, i have tried different driving styles, in and out of sports mode, there is nothing you can do to make it play up. Audi techs drive the car and because it does not play up in the few minutes of test driving, they say there is nothing they can do. Is there anyone out there that can give me some feedback please. Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I have had this problem for quite a few months now, I have over 100,000k on the car but this started before the warranty ran out. Audi have only now after 3 visits started to take it seriously, most times it gives you a jolt as though you have been hit up the backside, then other times it stalls the engine, there is no pattern to it, it can be as smooth [as smooth as this gearbox can be] and normal for a week, then out of the blue start playing up, the stalling can happen 2 to 3 times a day and then not do it for a week or more, i have tried different driving styles, in and out of sports mode, there is nothing you can do to make it play up. Audi techs drive the car and because it does not play up in the few minutes of test driving, they say there is nothing they can do. Is there anyone out there that can give me some feedback please. Jeff
    have the technicians hooked the car up to a computer to see if there are any error codes?? if the car is stalling and having these behaviours surely it must be generating an error code and without trying to defend audi... it is a bit hard for them to try and figure out what the problem is if they cannot reproduce the problem ?

maybe suggest to the audi service manager they take the car for the next few days... and they drive it to and from work... let them go through the daily drive and see if the problem comes up

Default Q5 3.0L Stalling when you come to a stop.

Not sure if this will help, but I had similar issues with my car stalling or engine cutting out intermittently whilst driving. I couldn't track it down to a specific situation or driving style and it totally drove me nuts trying to replicate it.

What it turned out to be was a faulty ignition switch as the key was making intermittent contact, and car was incorrectly reading between off/on ignition. It should also throw up some error codes - although I can't recall what it was specifically.

Replaced the switch and problem resolved.

4. Default Stalling Q5

Thanks for your reply, Audi Brisbane had the car for 3 days last time so they could drive it, they did not experience the problem, it is a bit different to me driving the car for about 700 to 800ks per week compared to an Audi tech who can only spend a short time looking then have to move on to the next job. It is booked in next week for them to put a computer on the car so they can drive it around, only problem is they can not clock up the running time that i can, so we still might not get a result, for the last 2 days the car has been running normally. Jeff

5. Default

Just throwing this out there.

If your car had the Takata airbag recall completed & then you noticed the stalling, maybe the idiots at the dealership / service centre crushed the cable from the paddle shift (+) when replacing the airbag.

This caused random stalling on my wife's Q5 that we chased for months before pulling the airbag out & seeing the problem.