Thread: a4 b5 double din swap problem!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Exclamation a4 b5 double din swap problem!

hey guys, i have been looking around for ages and cant find much info on the double din swap for the b5
    the change over is easy enough for the 2000 model with the symphony head unit using the mentra kit
    but what do i need to do to get put this
    http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/av-navigation/pioneer/5-8-inch-in-dash-2-din-multimedia-receiver-sku-91500/|

in my 99.5 with concert head unit

if someone could break it down for me that would be great as this is my first car and im a noob

you will need a double din cage and console. a double din ashtray is optional as is the shift plate (just makes the install look neater)
    you will also need to rewire the system, so a lot of wire crimps and wiring diagrams to create a harness.

i have a spare cage and console if you want.
    also you will need a surround for the headunit (from ebay)
    i have a cage and console sitting around if you would like. can also give you a hand with the install if your in melbourne.

Pm me for more information.
    Current :2000 S4 Avant with a 1.8 Non turbo conversion
    Real Cars have 3 pedals. If you can only deal with two, stick to a bicycle.

|034 Shifter Delete Kit|034 Turbo Blow off Simulator Valve|034 Hella Flush lowering kit|034Motorsport brFlw Side Mount Intercooler Pair, 2.7T|+200HP stickers|2 Spoke Chrome 22" wheels|Hatch Scoop|HAI|Carbon Fibre Everything|Limited grip diff

Past: R.I.P. 2000 A4 b5 1.8T quattro GP

hey prad
    cheers mate that would be great,
    for the time being would i be able to run a single din in there, just plug and play, until i do change it?
    might just get some subs and speakers for the time being, then change the console trim mid next year when i get my license

so an update,
    i have gone out and purchased my sound system and for the time being have bought a single din head unit, until i do the swap later

so does anyone know where i can get a fascia for the single din :) ??

Two cheap options I've used for single din:

-

- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FP-05-03-...item231dd731a4
    Last edited by dcc236; December 11th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

thanks mate appreciate it !

was also told i would need some wiring harness and antenna thing anyone know where i could get that cheap ? :)

Wiring harnesses are all different, they are aids to the installation to minimise the amount of the car's wiring that needs to be cut or splkiced. Need to know if you have Bose or not, your own external amplifiers, a bluetooth setup - if so which one, etc.

Yes, you'll need an ISO to Din antenna adapter:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261087369...84.m1497.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    Wiring harnesses are all different, they are aids to the installation to minimise the amount of the car's wiring that needs to be cut or splkiced. Need to know if you have Bose or not, your own external amplifiers, a bluetooth setup - if so which one, etc.

Yes, you'll need an ISO to Din antenna adapter:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261087369...84.m1497.l2649
    ok so i have the fascia and antenna all i need is a harness, now how do i know if i have bose or not, and yes i have a kicker 300 watt rms amp to power my dual kicker 12" comp subs in ported box, also have kicker rear speakers, cadence front splits and tweeters and a sony single din head unit with inbuilt bluetooth.

is that enough info?

thanks mate :)

i checked the cd stacker is said it was a blaupunkt?

As mentioned, harnesses vary greatly. I don't think I have ever used one that I haven't had to modify. If you look at the top of your stock h/u, you'll see what each stock connector is for. So you'll need an adapter that will plug into the appropriate connector with bare wires for connection to your new h/u.

The reason for the question about external amplification, stock speakers, etc is that there will be complete stock connectors that you can bypass, depending on your plans.

So, my advice is look at the stock wiring diagram, your new head unit and the rest of your system and decide on what bits of the stock harness you want connected to your new system. Once you have that, drop me a pm and let me know, I probably have the connectors you'll beed at home or can show you where to order them from.

The alternative is to buy a couple of Metra harness that will cover all possible options, then mix and match based on what you need and if necessary make changes to the harness to suit, particulalrly if you're integrating bluetooth, nav, aux, etc.

Hope this helps.