Thread: Anyone else doing a k04 convertion?

Post Anyone else doing a k04 convertion?

Hi guys, okay i've always had jap cars so im new to modding audi's so I'd love a few pointers if you would be happy to help me. I have an Audi a4 b6 1.8t with a standard k03 turbo. I have bought a - K04 Turbo, Turbo Intake Pipe, Forge DV, Snub Mount, Front Mount Intercooler ( already fitted ), and a Magnaflow exhaust.
    Okay, time for installation. Is there any specific order this should be fitted in? The k04 turbo is getting fitted next week because the actuator on my k03 has shat itself . So besides the K04 and FMIC, what should be the order for the rest?

FMIC
    K04 TURBO
    DV
    EXHAUST
    TUNE
    INJECTORS

? Thanks in advance!

Also where is a good place in Melbourne to get the tune?

Jason

Why don't you go Big Turbo? All you'll need is a new manifold and downpipe/HFC plus the rest of your list albeit bigger capacity for some.

The gains from a K04 are only minimal compared to a worked K03. I would either look at REVO tuning or custom tuning.

Plenty of guys on here who can provide suggestions
    Meteor Grey S5 4.2M: Magma Red Interior; AWE Downpipes; Milltek Exhaust; KW Adjustable Height Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by MattyK View Post
    Why don't you go Big Turbo? All you'll need is a new manifold and downpipe/HFC plus the rest of your list albeit bigger capacity for some.

The gains from a K04 are only minimal compared to a worked K03. I would either look at REVO tuning or custom tuning.

Plenty of guys on here who can provide suggestions
    Thanks matty, I will probably go to a bigger turbo later on if im not happy with the k04, it is used as a daily and im still on my p plates for another year so I'm trying to keep it low key with still a bit of grunt. I will probably end up going a gt28rs later down the track. Do you know if I get the tune first or do I put injectors first? Or it doesn't really matter? Also can I get the exhaust after the tune as I don't have the funds for the exhaust at the moment but everything else is ready to go, thanks man.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Tune for injectors so do the swap and chip together otherwise the motor will run like rubbish if one is done before the other.

K04 will be fun for the first 5 mins. You'll be looking for a bigger upgrade either way so start doing your research now!
    | GT3076R | ViPec i88 |

Quote Originally Posted by quattro5v View Post
    Tune for injectors so do the swap and chip together otherwise the motor will run like rubbish if one is done before the other.

K04 will be fun for the first 5 mins. You'll be looking for a bigger upgrade either way so start doing your research now!
    Will it be okay if I do the exhaust after the tune and injectors? Thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep. Exhaust can go later but for the sake of having the turbo out you get heaps of access for the exhaust install at the same time so why do things twice for the same outcome?
    | GT3076R | ViPec i88 |

Have you diagnosed the actuator correctly? What's happening with the car? I bought an A4 wagon that had no boost. When I got into it, all that had happened was the nuts had fallen off and the WG was blowing open. If it is toast, I have a brand new K03 actuator in the box. $100 delivered cost me $150.

You could run the K04 without a tune but it would be far from ideal, I have done this on my Polo GTI. Got a hybrid and ran it with a Phase 2 tune and had the N75 disconnected for a while to run actuator pressure.

It would be far, far better to do it all in one go. Save your money and get the turbo and all the parts you need, fitted and tuned at the same time.

Gavin

Initially I thought it was the WG aswell, but then my mechanic check it all out and said it was the actuator. I got a dyno and for the milli seconds that the gears change the boost spikes to 12psi and then tapers back down to 5-6psi. So yeah it spikes when the gears change. I think your right, ill put up with the boost leak for now and get it all installed at once in a month or so.