Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JHM Super charger

Great post Jig! I've made some corrections on the types of superchargers, fuel used at the time calculated back to Australian RON, and the latest APR dyno plot if that's ok!

Eaton superchargers are actually a roots style supercharger that pump air but do not compress it (air is pushed around the outside of the rotors), this is why their discharge temps are so much cooler than any other form of supercharging. Eaton's latest TVS generation superchargers take this one step further again over the older M or fifth generation units, and the TVS units also require less than 2kw to turn while not creating boost, so the daily drivability is like stock. A twin screw supercharger (Whipple, Lysholm, etc) for example compresses air between the rotors on each rotation regardless of throttle or bypass valve position, so the supercharger is always generating heat and requires significant energy to turn.

Roots vs Twin Screw vs Centrifugal

Agree with you on the centrifugals, they are typically at least 500+ rpm behind, but the part you actually feel is that they are 50-70hp behind the modern TVS units at low/mid rpm which for every day driving is quite noticeable. I've experienced a centrifugal on a friends 350Z, and to be honest it did feel like a turbocharger to drive.

Updated In Summary

1. APR - leverages roots TVS1740 Eaton Supercharger (USA 93 Octane = AUS 97 RON)
    626HP / 467kW
    529 Ft-Lb / 717Nm

2. PES - leverages roots M90 Eaton Superchargers (USA 93 Octane = AUS 97 RON)
    520HP / 387kW
    426 Ft-Lb / 577Nm

3. McChip-DKR - leverages Rotrex Centrifugal Supercharger? (I can't find anything on this one sorry, only that DKR are a PES reseller)
    623HP / 464kW
    419 Ft-Lb / 568Nm

4. MRC Tuning - leverages Rotrex C38-91 Centrifugal Supercharger (UK 99 RON)
    623HP / 464kW
    464 Ft-Lb /
    629Nm

Dyno Graphs:

1. APR

2. PES

3. McChip DKR

4. MRC/TTS performance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew@DNA For This Useful Post:

mike (January 19th, 2014)

Nice post Mike. Great information for anyone deciding which SC to choose for their RS4.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Marzz’z PES Supercharged RS5 - Yeoww!!

My Ride: Sprint Blue 06 B7 S4: - 034Motorsport Snub & Bracket, Carbon Fibre Vented Hood - Relak Skirts - Door Blades - DTM Deck Lid - Paddle shift Extentions, JR Air Filter, 19 RS6 V10s, FI Catback, H&R Springs, JHM tune In The Garage: Silver B8 A4 Avant: - BSR Bling, 19 RS4 V10s, REVO tune
    Previous Rides: E36 BMW B5 A3S B6 A4 Ford Falcon 351 Triumph TR8 Vauxall Super Tourer Saab 9-3 Saab 9-5 Toyota Prado 4x4

EPA would love Marz's RS5 :) Reow
    RS4 B7 Avant - APR Stage 3
    S4 B8 Sedan - APR Stage 2+
    MY14 GTR 35 COBBed

Awesome, love that blower whine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Renault megane RS250 cup sport
    2008 CBR1000rr streetfighter
    00 VTR1000R SP1
    09 CB1000R

SOLD
    2009 Q5 2.0tfsi - Black, S-Line grille, KO4 Turbo upgrade, APR tune, APR/Carbonio carbon intake, eibach springs, ultra racing rear swaybar, 22's

Quote Originally Posted by billq View Post
    Can you live with cutting bits of metal from the engine bay? I believe the JHM requires you to do so. That plus the cone filter is in the worst position possible. Might be ok for for a couple of runs but the v8 gets very hot.

You know what they say...buy nice or buy twice.
    The cuts required are minimal and absolutely not structural. You can't fit a blower that size in that engine bay without something!

I have been seriously looking in to this kit. However there is a user from the UK on Audi Revolution that seems to have done the first RHD order. There is a fair amount of customisation of the A/C system required due to the condenser positioning. (Or Evap canister? What is the alloy tank in A/C systems? I hate A/C systems. I should really read up on them so they stop frustrating me so much ha)

Anyhow the alloy tank for the A/C needs moving as in RHD cars it is positioned in the way of the suoercharger kit, whereas in LHD cars it isn't in the way. From what I read JHM were very helpful however I am not sure if they are doing a RHD ready kit yet.

Re the cone filter, two things:

1. The kit removes the aux radiator on that side, leaving engine bay heat soak as the sole remaining problem
    2. Heat soak can be countered with modifications to the stock snorkel (Presuming you are circuit racing, not drag racing in which case you will need to be careful about your staging technique)

Once you factor in moving air the difference reduces immensely. However if you are drag racing on the street in summer from traffic lights, then yes, the difference will be massive. The JHM SC kit uses throttle cut at high RPMs to protect the motor btw. Just an aside.

In the same tbread someone questioned octane. I have run JHM 93 AKI (98 RON equivalent) and also 91 AKI/95 RON. This was NA and the 93 pinged unacceptably. The 91 is near perfect from pump 98 here in AU: it runs just on the edge of pinging.

Not SC related I know but hey...

Sounds like you got your heart set on the JHM... Looking forward to seeing the first JHM SC here in Australia.

If you are at all interested to feel how the MRC/TTS Performance supercharger is like, PM me and I can give you a shot gun ride of my RS4.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    The cuts required are minimal and absolutely not structural. You can't fit a blower that size in that engine bay without something!

I have been seriously looking in to this kit. However there is a user from the UK on Audi Revolution that seems to have done the first RHD order. There is a fair amount of customisation of the A/C system required due to the condenser positioning. (Or Evap canister? What is the alloy tank in A/C systems? I hate A/C systems. I should really read up on them so they stop frustrating me so much ha)

Anyhow the alloy tank for the A/C needs moving as in RHD cars it is positioned in the way of the suoercharger kit, whereas in LHD cars it isn't in the way. From what I read JHM were very helpful however I am not sure if they are doing a RHD ready kit yet.

Re the cone filter, two things:

1. The kit removes the aux radiator on that side, leaving engine bay heat soak as the sole remaining problem
    2. Heat soak can be countered with modifications to the stock snorkel (Presuming you are circuit racing, not drag racing in which case you will need to be careful about your staging technique)

Once you factor in moving air the difference reduces immensely. However if you are drag racing on the street in summer from traffic lights, then yes, the difference will be massive. The JHM SC kit uses throttle cut at high RPMs to protect the motor btw. Just an aside.

In the same tbread someone questioned octane. I have run JHM 93 AKI (98 RON equivalent) and also 91 AKI/95 RON. This was NA and the 93 pinged unacceptably. The 91 is near perfect from pump 98 here in AU: it runs just on the edge of pinging.

Not SC related I know but hey...

This... JHM Stage 2

My Ride: Sprint Blue 06 B7 S4: - 034Motorsport Snub & Bracket, Carbon Fibre Vented Hood - Relak Skirts - Door Blades - DTM Deck Lid - Paddle shift Extentions, JR Air Filter, 19 RS6 V10s, FI Catback, H&R Springs, JHM tune In The Garage: Silver B8 A4 Avant: - BSR Bling, 19 RS4 V10s, REVO tune
    Previous Rides: E36 BMW B5 A3S B6 A4 Ford Falcon 351 Triumph TR8 Vauxall Super Tourer Saab 9-3 Saab 9-5 Toyota Prado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Brettannica View Post
    This... JHM Stage 2

Best. Sound. Ever.

Have you seen what they are doing with the Stage II? Pretty trick. They relocate the battery to the boot in order to make room for installation of the water tank for an air/water intercooler. Massive costs here though. Needs new rods and pistons to handle the additional boost. I think they sleeve the Alusil block as well.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    Best. Sound. Ever.

Have you seen what they are doing with the Stage II? Pretty trick. They relocate the battery to the boot in order to make room for installation of the water tank for an air/water intercooler. Massive costs here though. Needs new rods and pistons to handle the additional boost. I think they sleeve the Alusil block as well.
    Yeah, I was following Jake’s build process and his teaser pics. Things are so damned convenient if you’re in the US.