Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newly Acquired 1989 90 Quattro

Hi Enforce,

What turbo setup are you planning on running? as I have an rs2 spec turbo and rs2 exh manifold that came off my URS4 that I am hoping to part with

Andy
    Audi URS4 - RS2 KILLER

Am looking at a Garret 3076r but pm me some prices. I'm probably wanting to go down the custom route with a tubular exhaust manifold thought as it would get very laggy with that manifold. Waiting to finish my shed in a couple weeks to be able to store the car and pull the engine out to start setting money on fire. :)

3076r seems to be the most popular choice these days for mildly worked engines, the 2,2l engines are very weak, the 2,3 engines have beefier stock parts.
    However since you are forging it, it doesnt really matter.
    Just make sure you go down the e85 route, that torque will blow your mind and you will never look back, also a very good plus is it burns much cooler than normal petrol, and having very prone to cracking cylinder heads, you want all the cooling you can get.
    plus the good thing is the typ85/89 have massive 70l tanks, so perfect for e85.
    My 7A head was luckily uncracked, so im in the clear

Are you sure about the weak part? The only difference's I have read about the blocks are the 2.2 has better cooling. Hopefully a 2.3 would have had an easier life though not being turbo'd. I've looked into E85 but there are only 9 service stations listed here in Adelaide that sell it, and only 1-2 would be near me but not very convenient. i hope I get the shed finished this weekend to be able to start pulling the motor. :)

yes, the 2,3l has thicker con rods and thicker pistons from factory, many people like to run those parts in their turbo cars as a factory upgrade as they hold decent power, (around 500hp)
    if you can read german, this is a good NA tuning site and explains quite a bit about the engine.
    www.20V-Sauger-Tuning.de

Nice car, great to see another 5 pot project.
    The 2.2 and 2.3 all had the same block essentially, the 2.2 had a smaller bore and oil feed and return ports for the turbo, otherwise the same. From memory, the same crank and rods, obviously different pistons.
    I definitely agree on the E85 route, you would need big injectors and a big pump, plus a flex fuel sensor, E85 is rarely actually 85%. But the power advantages are worth it.
    The 7A head can be basically converted to a 3b or aan head by obtaining a water manifold and machining the head to match. This will help reduce the risk of cracking - 3 water inlets rather than 1.

I'll be putting my car up for sale soon, could save you some money and lots of work. The engine is built for 500hp, forged pistons, build top end for 9000rpm, Vipec v88 ecu, the current stock turbo isn't big enough, nor is the manifold sufficient but everything else is ready for power!
    WAS
    A4 B5 1.8T quattro GP GIAC K04
    01 Triumph TT600

NOW
    RED 90 quattro 20V - - - 20VT project underway

dont forget, aan, adu and aby engines had the cam sensor built onto the head, so if you wish to run the trigger wheel with COP you will need to weld onto the head and block off your dizzy then find a cam cover from the A series engines to bolt coils onto
    P.s con rods between turbo and non turbo engines were different

also e85 is always min 85% at united stations, however Caltex and BP are not and you will need to run an e flex sensor.
    Ive seen e85 as low as 72% at certain petrol stations

oh, and also 800cc injectors will get you to about 300kw at 90% duty on e85.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanheide View Post
    P.s con rods between turbo and non turbo engines were different
    Really? I thought they were all the same, at least for 7A, AAN, 3b. Maybe ABY are different?

I can't remember exactly what the factory turbos use for the crank position triggering but I using the dizzy as a cam position/stroke sensor and put on a 60-2 tooth trigger wheel for crank position sensor, works perfectly fine with a aftermarket ECU.
    034 make modifying 7A engines much less complicated
    WAS
    A4 B5 1.8T quattro GP GIAC K04
    01 Triumph TT600

NOW
    RED 90 quattro 20V - - - 20VT project underway

7a had thicker rods, thats why many people who like to retain oem products back in germany swap NA and Forced parts around.
    7a and 3b used the dizzy and the A engines used the COP setup with a trigger wheel on the cam sprocket.
    so if you want to use that setup, all you need is a sensor and the sprocket from the A engines, then make a mounting point on the 7a head for the sensor.
    I am doing this at the moment.

I was looking for posts on engine number location (2.6E abc ENGINE) , and I saw this thread, wow from WA to SA and now Northern suburbs Sydney (In my pile of Audis) - Its well covered- looked after and WILL see action again one day,
    Yeh, I know its old thread- but its an OLD car!
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    Concept, tune and build by QMS
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.