Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newly Acquired 1989 90 Quattro

where is this build up to????

love to hear about it
    Now - 2016 Golf R - Thinks he's an S3
    Then - 02 Golf Gti, 99 S4 Stage 1, 00 S4 Stage 3, 01 RS4 Stage 2, 77 Fox, 75 Fox, 87 200 Tq Stage 1, 82 coupe GT, 87 90 Quattro

Way on the back Burner,
    Possible options are leaning toward it will getting a built 1.8t in it though, My B4 80 quattro's getting a 2.5 tall deck stroker first, Although the Cars there to be built and used, so If I get the right offer of assistants to build (I have all the parts) it will happen sooner, Meantime I have my Red B3 90 quattro 20V on historic plates and its used as the back up daily. But I dont need a daily as Im always at the workshop building cars for clients, S3 8L in right now for Rods, Ferrera exhaust valves and a EFR6758 on e85. Final touches to the Factory ecu tune tomorrow then its loaded on a truck for delivery back to Melbourne.

I did add a very nice original and very good condition Audi 100 , Drove it back on unreg permit from North coast a few weeks back, Perfect and 100% running order.
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    Concept, tune and build by QMS
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.

3. Default

Hi all, T Bo here, I have recently acquired a 1989 Audi 90 quattro. It needs some work, but is complete and came with a stack of performance parts which have not been installed. Anyhow, onto more boring things, first job is to replace the timing belt. Have looked at lots of videos, writeups about this and looks doable. My question is : Does anyone know if I can get any of the parts in OZ to do the job ? eg timing belt kit, seals, water pump. Also does anyone know how many teeth on the belt ? Its a 7A engine. Anyhow, any help is appreciated, thanks. Tom.

4. Default

Hi Tom,

I also just picked up a 1989 90 Quattro. I've started doing general inspection of the vehicle and maintenance at this point so am in the same boat as you regarding parts suppliers in Australia - i.e still searching where to get them. Love to hear from you if you find a source in OZ - I'm in Canberra so we have an Audi dealer here but I suspect parts from them will either be very expensive or unavailable. Goodluck with the car.

Cheers

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by T Bo View Post
    Hi all, T Bo here, I have recently acquired a 1989 Audi 90 quattro. It needs some work, but is complete and came with a stack of performance parts which have not been installed. Anyhow, onto more boring things, first job is to replace the timing belt. Have looked at lots of videos, writeups about this and looks doable. My question is : Does anyone know if I can get any of the parts in OZ to do the job ? eg timing belt kit, seals, water pump. Also does anyone know how many teeth on the belt ? Its a 7A engine. Anyhow, any help is appreciated, thanks. Tom.

Guys, congrats on some interesting cars. Parts can be available and then they dry up and reappear. I personally haven't found any local source where you can get the whole range of parts from one shop like you can OS. Belts can usually be found somewhere local. Start reading the old posts and see what pops up that you can try. One of the "joys" is parts finding. Such low demand locally that you'll end up OS for stuff at some stage. Do your sums on freight and taxes as some items can be cheaper locally through "cough" Audi than from some OS suppliers. The glory days of really cheap OS parts has largely gone.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

6. Default

Thanks for the reply - yes I've spent the last three days rifling through forums and OS sites for parts. Looks like locally you can gets the basics but most are generic brands. I'm about to order some parts from Pelicanparts in the USA, postage is high but prices seem OK. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Guys, congrats on some interesting cars. Parts can be available and then they dry up and reappear. I personally haven't found any local source where you can get the whole range of parts from one shop like you can OS. Belts can usually be found somewhere local. Start reading the old posts and see what pops up that you can try. One of the "joys" is parts finding. Such low demand locally that you'll end up OS for stuff at some stage. Do your sums on freight and taxes as some items can be cheaper locally through "cough" Audi than from some OS suppliers. The glory days of really cheap OS parts has largely gone.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blagle View Post
    Hi Tom,

I also just picked up a 1989 90 Quattro. I've started doing general inspection of the vehicle and maintenance at this point so am in the same boat as you regarding parts suppliers in Australia - i.e still searching where to get them. Love to hear from you if you find a source in OZ - I'm in Canberra so we have an Audi dealer here but I suspect parts from them will either be very expensive or unavailable. Goodluck with the car.

Cheers

Glenn
    Good luck Glenn, have been spending a lot of time in front of computer researching parts, think I am almost there. Will let you know where I bought from. Currently looking at timing belts and associated parts.
    Tom

8. Default Water Pump ?

Quote Originally Posted by T Bo View Post
    Good luck Glenn, have been spending a lot of time in front of computer researching parts, think I am almost there. Will let you know where I bought from. Currently looking at timing belts and associated parts.
    Tom

Anyone got any opinions on what brands are good and not good as far as water pumps are concerned ?

Some brands have a plastic impeller and the word is to stay clear of those. You get OE from Audi, OEM from the manufacturer of the audi parts without the audi logo and then the rest. Depending on the model there can be a range of suppliers for each item so for my cars I try to get OEM if available. You just need to trawl OS posts in particular where they are closer to the source and generally have a better handle on who makes what for which car. A lot of the third party brands are actually OK but it takes time to get to know.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Some brands have a plastic impeller and the word is to stay clear of those. You get OE from Audi, OEM from the manufacturer of the audi parts without the audi logo and then the rest. Depending on the model there can be a range of suppliers for each item so for my cars I try to get OEM if available. You just need to trawl OS posts in particular where they are closer to the source and generally have a better handle on who makes what for which car. A lot of the third party brands are actually OK but it takes time to get to know.
    Thanks for the good advice !