Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast

Thread: The 8V S3 vehicle issues thread requiring dealer warranty work

Quote Originally Posted by gbernard View Post
    i have a my15 sportback, they replaced the sunroof and the frame, cured it for 6 months , back again . .

lubrication sorts it for 3 months at a time.
    Same with mine!

It's been the longest time between visits and my creak is now pretty loud and driving me mad!!

Quote Originally Posted by rprodrive View Post
    so happy i just fixed my creaking sunroof without a dealer visit. cleaned all the rubbers all round and surfaces that touched the rubbers. them sprayed silicone on to a towel and wiped the rubbers with silicone.

at the rear of the roof when it is open are two large screws one each side of roof (the screws face the rear of car - ie towards the roof antenna). i loosened the screws and lowered the roof down closer to the car body at the rear - then tightened the screws. when closed the roof now sits harder on the rubber parts. Creaking noise gone - was driving me crazy!
    Cool, thanks for this. I'm going to try and give this a go.. if it's easy enough and something I can do every few months then I am kinda happy with that for a bit of sanity
    Monsoon Grey 8V S3 Sportback - S-Tronic - Performance Pack - Sunroof - Assistance Pack - Mirror Pack

I think I have solved the creaking sunroof.

the plastic frame that pops up and pulls the mesh up, when pushed down by the roof sometimes either the top has a slightly uneven spring tension against the underside of the glass, or the base of the plastic frame, sits in a channel in the frame of the roof cutout, I have put black felt tape in the channel it sits in at the bottom, and that seems to have cured it completely. In my case the creaking is the top of plastic frame hitting the underside of the glass on bumps and slight flexing of the chassis, or the bottom of the plastic frame hitting the channel recess it is supposed to sit flush tight in.
    Current - Audi S3 MY15 Sportback, Daytona Grey Metallic Pearl, SPP, Sunroof and Mirrors Pack
    Previous - 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Selespeed

Hi gbernard - any chance of a few pics showing what you have exactly done?
    Monsoon Grey 8V S3 Sportback - S-Tronic - Performance Pack - Sunroof - Assistance Pack - Mirror Pack

I'd love to see the photos of this fix too
    2016 8V S3 Sportsback - Mythos Black - 19" S Performance Pack 2 wheels - Panoramic Roof - Black Optics

Hard to believe that the spring pressure behind the plastic frame would provide sufficient force to cause creaking rather than mild rubbing - let's hope it really is the cure for those with the issue anyway.
    Dingah

2017 RSQ3 Performance + and Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

this is simply a post I have shared with my experience and my only real gripe (small one i know) with my S3.

This is by no means a guarantee it will solve anyone else's pano roof rattle issues.

I found in my case, it is to do with the flexing of the frame, momentarily touching either the channel the plastic frame is sitting in when retracted, or the top of the frame tapping against the underside of the glass, and the uneven pressure causing it to move slightly along the length of of it that caused it to tap/creak on uneven or rough surfaces.

only ever happened when fully closed in my case, lubrication and adjustment of the 2 torx screws at the rear would make it go away temporarily, but it would always return.

I found out a few days ago , as part of my driveway goes from flat to a 15 degree incline on a corner, and everytime i turn left on it the creak comes from the sunroof, i reached up with 2 fingers onto the top of the retracted plastic frame and exerted slight pressure down, and went back and forth over the spot, and no more creaking.

I then opened the sunroof, and checked it our, and used felt tape in the areas I described, and all creaking gone.

the felt tape just dampens the contact points between, will post pics when i can (soon)
    Last edited by gbernard; March 13th, 2018 at 08:41 AM.
    Current - Audi S3 MY15 Sportback, Daytona Grey Metallic Pearl, SPP, Sunroof and Mirrors Pack

Hi people, I have tried to photograph and describe the actions in my earlier post, the sunroof track assembly is a very unphotogenic part of this car.

The first pic with thick white highlight shows the channel , the plastic frame sits in when the sunroof is closed.

file (Medium).jpg

The second pic shows the channel in thick white highlight and circled in thin white is the protrusion that acts as a centre support point, it is across this you can place the felt tape, and or if it is wide enough in the channel directly adjacent to it.
    file1 (Medium).jpg

The second pic shows the frame in the closed position, and you can see the residue from the tape location i used before (just removed it, and placed the tape as per the pic above.
    file5 (Medium).jpg

the final pic, shows the top of the frame, and if required you can place the tape across here for the full length of the frame if required, I have not needed it after adjusting the 2 torx screws at the rear of the glass panel.
    file4 (Medium).jpg

Hope this helps, it is a ridiculously simple and easy thing to do. it seems to have sorted mine out.
    Last edited by gbernard; March 13th, 2018 at 04:44 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gbernard For This Useful Post:

dstama (March 13th, 2018), Frankie17 (March 21st, 2018)

thanks mate!

I bought some felt today and had a good look at the roof so will have a go tomorrow at putting the felt on.

Sorry to be a bother, any chance of getting a similar write up for the adjusting for the 2 torx screws at the rear of the glass panel?

Thanks again for taking the time out.

Tilt-open the sunroof
    Loosen the screw on either driver or passenger side, at the back of the sunroof
    Push sunroof down a little lower than previous position
    Tighten screw
    Do the same to the other side (passenger or driver) and tighten at same position

( I grabbed the pic from another AUDI forum)

Before adjusting
    img_5990_0ac821816d94c050de9c5229df2e2056b4d9a791.jpg

After adjusting
    img_6002_d77c0fd05b34ce876bf514e7d9819d9f383a93fb.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gbernard For This Useful Post:

Frankie17 (March 21st, 2018)

12. Default

I had my S3 at Audi GC on monday for the Haldex issue which they were luckily able to resolve on the day.
    The S3 required a new haldex pump as the one of the vehicle had completely failed.
    I'd suggest anyone with a S3 delivered Q1 of 2017 have their car scanned or atleast do a couple aggressive take offs to confirm haldex is functioning correctly.

Back to normal now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr PHD View Post
    Unfortunately my FL S3 sportback has been back to Audi Center Gold Coast a few times now for various niggling issues. Most notably the distance warning failure which failed once then starting working again after a week. Then it happened a second time and never recovered. The most annoying aspect is when the distance warning dies it takes the cruise control with it, so no cruise control while the fault was occurring. Took GC audi 2 days to sort it out.

Now we have a new problem, the haldex pump has failed.
    I noticed for the past month or so with all the bad weather we have been having on the GC that the traction control light was coming on quite a lot. Initially I thought the tyres were wearing but then one day I noticed the unmistakable feeling of wheel hop on a quick take off. I just had time to scan my car today and found:

1 Fault Found:
    16671 - Pump for Haldex Clutch
    C1112 04 [008] - Internal System Fault
    Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 1
    Fault Frequency: 45
    Reset counter: 101
    Mileage: 10356 km
    Date: 2018.02.05
    Time: 07:30:54

Seems like its been an issue for a couple of people, even a few guys have put up videos of launches with only the front wheels going

Sigh....
    Last edited by Mr PHD; March 21st, 2018 at 11:10 AM.
    MY17 8V S3 Sportback - Daytona Grey, Performance Pack 1, Assist Pack, Matrix Lights & Electric Mirrors. (Better than Morph's spec)