Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi Snow Driving At Mount Hotham

Good read, much what I said in greater detail. The only comment, this is a comparison of one winter tyre against a raft of patently unsuitable tyres on cars driven by people definitely NOT in the know. In Europe, people hang on the annual winter tyre test as much as the summer tyre test. You get as much difference in winter tyre performance between brands etc as you do with summer tyres.

My only comment, If you are driving from Sydney or Melbourne, these tyres are not what you want to be fitted until you get to the snow line or close to it. If they last that return trip then they will fall short of the required performance in the snow / ice.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

2. Default

It would appear, from the post, that IBA some good understanding of the increased and safer performance of winter/snow but maybe has not yet owned a vehicle fitted winter tyres either here in Australia, in Europe or in North America as a basis for the comment.
    If other forum members have they would understand that driving 'below the snow line' on winter/snow tyres in the winter months is the same where ever you may be and this is not an issue here or else where.
    Some would say it is better to drive on winter tyres in summer than it is to drive on summer tyres in winter.

It is better not to generalise about winter/snow tyres as the range that is available to suit different snow and driving conditions is as diverse as the Audi model range.

I do not wish to de critical in this post but if IBA could give me a call to discuss I am sure he would then be able to repost a reply that would be closer to the experience of the hundreds of of other drivers that are using winter tyres driving from Melbourne or Sydney to the alpine resort areas every week in winter.
    file://localhost/Users/rcsimac/Desktop/P2140015.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by urq20 View Post
    It would appear, from the post, that IBA some good understanding of the increased and safer performance of winter/snow but maybe has not yet owned a vehicle fitted winter tyres either here in Australia, in Europe or in North America as a basis for the comment.
    If other forum members have they would understand that driving 'below the snow line' on winter/snow tyres in the winter months is the same where ever you may be and this is not an issue here or else where.
    Some would say it is better to drive on winter tyres in summer than it is to drive on summer tyres in winter.

It is better not to generalise about winter/snow tyres as the range that is available to suit different snow and driving conditions is as diverse as the Audi model range.

I do not wish to de critical in this post but if IBA could give me a call to discuss I am sure he would then be able to repost a reply that would be closer to the experience of the hundreds of of other drivers that are using winter tyres driving from Melbourne or Sydney to the alpine resort areas every week in winter.
    An interesting comment but the validity and basis for it is somewhat obscure. I am but an interested observer who has had some day to day experience with winter tyres in an area and country where they are common. As a forum member, I put forward my experiences for the benefit of other members, nothing to gain from any comment I make and NO vested interest. I will also be in Norway later this year on studded tyres to round out the equation.

urq20 is a tyre retailer and so has a vested interest, which I have no problem with him airing, and I am not going to get into a slinging match as any interested party can google the local views of various winter tyres in any of the snow countries in Europe (language permitting). The fight for supremacy in the winter tyre stake between the major manufacturers is strong, as it is in the summer tyre market. "One swallow does not a summer make" and one brand does not make it the supremo.

Not only did I live in Germany for a period but while winter tyres are "highly recommended" in Germany, they are MANDATORY in Austria. So, not only did I use winter tyres, but actually owned winter tyres (paid for them) and drove on them.

So, driving below the snow line is the same where ever you are??? That is a comment that you probably shouldn't make. Today, which is an early start to the season, saw temps around Goulburn at about 20 degrees. But there was snow on the snow fields 3 hours south so temps 3-4 degrees. A snow tyre is formulated for ideal driving with temps from say 5 to minus 20 (very rough and no doubt will get a shot on this). It is not the snow but the road temperature that is critical. Without salting, most roads in the winter requiring snow tyres will be at around zero for the period, allowing ice to form and stay on the road surface for months.

Winter tyres have a very soft compound to stay flexible in sub zero temperatures. Use the race tyre analogy and use a soft or rain tyre in elevated heat conditions and it will go off once above it's designed operating temperature. Drive on a snow tyre at 100 - 110 KPH on road temps of around 15-20 degrees and they will wear visibly and quickly. In my opinion, if they don't then they are harder than the optimum for snow conditions as stated previously.

I fully understand that we have an artificial situation where people drive for hours in Australian conditions to get to a small area where the conditions MAY dictate that winter tyres are required. If your professional advice is that they drive all the way on snow tyres you recommend, then I am not about to debate you, it is after all your advice.

I would point out as an aside that this is an AUDI forum and we have our share of enthusiastic drivers which I have factored into my thought processes. Gute Reise.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FDdownunder View Post
    This is probably one of those topics that will never go out of date.

I just picked up my 2016 A6 Allroad a week ago. A week later I'm shocked having to discover that Audi sells this vehicle (Allroad!!) with standard wheels (19", not the 20" low profile) which are unsuitable for snow chains. According to the owners manual one is only to take this vehicle to the snow after fitting the vehicle with (non-standard) 18" wheels. I still can't believe what I'm reading.

I guess I now have 2 options, that is either ignore Audi advice, trust Konig instead and fit the K-Summit chains which still won't get us to our favourite ski destination Mt Hotham. Or count my losses and fog out the extra cost for an extra set of 18" wheels (and snowchains).

Anyone else found him/herself in the same situation?

Did you work out what to do FDdownunder?
    file://localhost/Users/rcsimac/Desktop/P2140015.jpg