Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smelly aircon..

Default Smelly aircon..

I am extremely surprised to find out this on my wife's 6 month old S3....

Funny thing is this has also happened on our VW Tiguan which is about 1 year old.

Tried Autoglym Aircon Sanitizer. Doesn't really help. The stinky smell came back after two days when the lemon like smell from the sanitiser was fully aired out.

Should I try to change the pollen filter? I am surprised the pollen filter died this quick though. I have had a look in the manual. It doesn't seem like there is instruction re how to change the pollen filter? But I guess for most of the modern cars, it is located in the passenger side's footwell?

Anyone here could recommend a place for purchasing the pollen filter? Or anything else I could try before changing the pollen filter?

BTW, my 6 year old Honda track car's pollen filtet has never been changed. Still smells good lol

Appreciate your guys' advices

Wow I though I was the only one. Nov '14 build A5 and I have the same issue! Only thing that saves it is turning off the recycle button, not a good idea in Sydney traffic though Have you taken the car for a long drive at 100+ with recycle off?
    | 2015 Grey RS5 Coupe |

3. The Following User Says Thank You to XSS51V For This Useful Post:

akira888 (September 3rd, 2015)

Recycle will be your issue.
    Damp air breathed out will be coating the HVAC!
    Try running good heat through the system on fresh air setting (or just plain 'Auto') with aircon itself in Econ mode.
    That way you get everything in the HVAC box hot and may clear it a little by drying it out.

PS - if you smoke in the car (especially on recycle), you're stuck with it.
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by XSS51V View Post
    Wow I though I was the only one. Nov '14 build A5 and I have the same issue! Only thing that saves it is turning off the recycle button, not a good idea in Sydney traffic though Have you taken the car for a long drive at 100+ with recycle off?

Actually I haven't tried turning the recycle off. It is always on. So have never done the 100+ kms/h with recycle off.

I will give it a go. thanks.

But is it just a temporary fix?

Non-smoker BTW lol

So I just run the car for 5 or 10 mins sth in ECO mode with aircon set to AUTO? Do I need to press the A/C button (so that the A/C indicator illuminates?)

The S3 has an automatic recycle in that it detects air quality and turns recycle on/off accordingly. This isn't the same as forcing it to re-cycle via the dash button.

Try changing the pollen filter. That should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejvella View Post
    Try changing the pollen filter. That should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine just started smelling last week, had to start using recirculation setting in heavy traffic due to smell.

!st service due in a couple weeks, so new filter coming. same issue in my old GTI, same solution.
    S3 Sportback MY15 - Floret Silver - S tronic - nothing else

Anyone can tell me the pollen filter part no. for MY15 S3? Just rang Audi, they said price was about $60 but they wouldn't tell me the part number...

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    The S3 has an automatic recycle in that it detects air quality and turns recycle on/off accordingly. This isn't the same as forcing it to re-cycle via the dash button.
    I think I can turn this auto recirculation off in the MMI? I just unchecked that checkbox.