Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: UniTronic ECU & DSG tune

Default UniTronic ECU & DSG tune

Quote Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
    One eay to get box codes - ECU and TCU/DSG is to ask your Audi dealer for a 'Diagnostic protocol (long)' printout. Around 50 pages. Includes how many launches and any flags.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If you have committed to Unitronic the box codes from both the ECU and TCU will show up when using Uniconnect and scanning fault codes. Of course you need the cable to do this.

EDIT: Not immediately obvious. Look in bottom left of screen in grey on black text.
    Last edited by crc; April 8th, 2017 at 11:05 PM.
    Panther+Lunar MY16 S3 SB

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo84 View Post
    One more thought. Been looking at the Unitronic website.

So there is stage 1 with a 59hp increase (for S3)
    And stage 1+ with a 79hp increase (for S3)

There is not much info on the difference between the two.

Anyone know if you need any extra hardware for 1+ or is it just another option (like APR's) high torque option??
    It's all fuel quality.

Stage 1 = 91 AKI / 95 RON

Stage 1+ = 93 AKI / 98 RON
    Panther+Lunar MY16 S3 SB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to crc For This Useful Post:

Lanzo84 (April 8th, 2017)

4. Default

Hi All,

I have an MY14 A4 Avant Quattro 2.0T S-Line. This has the EA888 Gen 3 engine with extra port injectors and I think it runs the Simos ECU. I want a tune for it and initially I planned to go with Mark from Recode. Unfortunately Mark has connected to get my ECU ID and then done his investigation with his suppliers only to find he cannot do my ECU. Therefore I am looking for other options. Considering APR and Unitronic. I like the lower price and self flashing of the Unitronic, but I have a few questions:

* Is there any way to find out if Unitronic can do my ECU without spending the money to get the cable to check? Can I borrow a cable from someone (I am hills district Sydney) to connect and send data to Unitronic to determine if they have a tune to suit my car?
    * Where is the best place to buy a cable should I decide to go ahead at the moment?
    * Is the cable good for anything else? I want to do some coding to fit a towbar and some other coding features. Can the cable do that or do I have to get a Ross-tech?
    * My car had the 165kW version of engine (Gti spec?). I would also consider doing hardware mods like a dump pipe/Intake, but only if gains are worthwhile. I want to just get whatever the stock turbo can do, but not sure if hardware mods are required for that. Does anyone know if there is an optimal band for bucks configuration in terms of software (tune type) and hardware configuration for this engine?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers,

Adrian

I think earlier postings (from 2014 on) answer most of queries. Here's a few brief points:
    - Email your 'box codes' to Unitronic. They will tell you if they can flash your ECU. (to find box codes, see earlier postings)
    - If/when you buy the cable, it VIN-locks, so 1 cable per car and cannot be unlocked. I don't know if the cable can be used for any other purpose - anyone know more?
    - You can buy direct from Unitronic or Aus distributor (see postings).

Quote Originally Posted by vosadrian View Post
    Hi All,

I have an MY14 A4 Avant Quattro 2.0T S-Line. This has the EA888 Gen 3 engine with extra port injectors and I think it runs the Simos ECU. I want a tune for it and initially I planned to go with Mark from Recode. Unfortunately Mark has connected to get my ECU ID and then done his investigation with his suppliers only to find he cannot do my ECU. Therefore I am looking for other options. Considering APR and Unitronic. I like the lower price and self flashing of the Unitronic, but I have a few questions:

* Is there any way to find out if Unitronic can do my ECU without spending the money to get the cable to check? Can I borrow a cable from someone (I am hills district Sydney) to connect and send data to Unitronic to determine if they have a tune to suit my car?
    * Where is the best place to buy a cable should I decide to go ahead at the moment?
    * Is the cable good for anything else? I want to do some coding to fit a towbar and some other coding features. Can the cable do that or do I have to get a Ross-tech?
    * My car had the 165kW version of engine (Gti spec?). I would also consider doing hardware mods like a dump pipe/Intake, but only if gains are worthwhile. I want to just get whatever the stock turbo can do, but not sure if hardware mods are required for that. Does anyone know if there is an optimal band for bucks configuration in terms of software (tune type) and hardware configuration for this engine?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers,

Adrian

6. Default

So I did some research and seems I need a VAG-COM cable to get the box codes. I am not sure if I could meet up with someone with the Uniconnect cable close to me and use their cable to read my box codes (not sure if the locking part would allow reading of box codes on another vehicle from the one the cable is locked to)

I can't see anything indicating the cable can be used for coding, so looks like I need a VAG-COM anyway.

Can anyone comment on the pricing of Australia vs importing from USA? I am happy to go to USA if it saves some $$.

Has anyone here got experience with using this cable on an Aussie delivered A4 EA888 Gen 3 with Simos ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
    I think earlier postings (from 2014 on) answer most of queries. Here's a few brief points:
    - Email your 'box codes' to Unitronic. They will tell you if they can flash your ECU. (to find box codes, see earlier postings)
    - If/when you buy the cable, it VIN-locks, so 1 cable per car and cannot be unlocked. I don't know if the cable can be used for any other purpose - anyone know more?
    - You can buy direct from Unitronic or Aus distributor (see postings).

From an earlier posting, other ways to find your box codes:
    "I believe that the box codes are labelled on the actual ECU/TCU.If (like me) you don't have VCDS, or don't want to get your hands dirty finding the actual ECU/TCU labels, there's another way to get the ECU/TCU box codes.
    I asked my Audi dealer for a detailed diagnostic printout. I got 54 pages of A4 printout - "Offboard Diagnostic Information System - Diagnostic protocol(Long) - Protocol type: Guided fault finding - Protocol status: Final protocol".
    UniTronic apparently found my box codes somewhere in the first 16 pages"

I'm no expert on VAG-COM, but check out the OBDEleven / OBD11 threads too.

When I flashed with Unitronic (early 2016) prices favoured US purchase (online via ModdedEuros.com). Not sure now.

PS. Just realised a lot more of the early postings / threads on Unitronic have been 'closed'. There was a lot of discussion (some heated) over Unitronic and its competitors (inc a forum sponsor). At least one member was banned. Anyway, nearly all the material is on other Audi / VW forums if you want to search.
    PPS. If this thread gets closed, or this member disappears, you'll know why!

Quote Originally Posted by vosadrian View Post
    So I did some research and seems I need a VAG-COM cable to get the box codes. I am not sure if I could meet up with someone with the Uniconnect cable close to me and use their cable to read my box codes (not sure if the locking part would allow reading of box codes on another vehicle from the one the cable is locked to)

I can't see anything indicating the cable can be used for coding, so looks like I need a VAG-COM anyway.

Can anyone comment on the pricing of Australia vs importing from USA? I am happy to go to USA if it saves some $$.

Has anyone here got experience with using this cable on an Aussie delivered A4 EA888 Gen 3 with Simos ECU?