Thread: New MK 1 TT owner (questions and advice)

1. Default New MK 1 TT owner (questions and advice)

Hello, new MK 1 Audi TT owner here, just got a few questions.

I purchased a 1999 Audi TT (non Quattro) for what I believe to be a good price. 107000kms on the motor, couple of little scratches and bruises on the body work, interior is still in great condition besides the seats.
    Loving it so far, very stylish inside and out.

But I have a few questions:

1: Timing belt was done @87ks, that was 4 years ago, would you recommend doing it again next year?
    2: I get 6 audible bongs every time I start the car, is that normal.
    3: The LCD screen isn't the best and with the start up check list; the first two have pictures with big animations of the oil and coolent, is this normal. The rest of the pics are up on the top section of the screen. Then it says OK. All my Coolent, oils and fluids are at correct levels,
    4: A good audi servicing business in Adelaide south, besides German auto.
    5: I get front wheel spin very easily, is this my driving/tyres or the car

Thanks,
    Last edited by Tyson123; July 11th, 2016 at 01:06 AM.

Hi Tyson Iam in Adelaide and use German auto for my Golf and TT quattro , always had good service .

1 My timing belt was done at 50,000km after 6 years , its now on 80,000km after another 6 years , German auto suggest another change in next 2 years , more about the kms than the time , yours has only got 20,000 km up I would not be too concerned .

2 Don't know about that one

3 Digital dashes are a common problem , not a cheap fix in OZ , I have false temp and fuel readings , temp is showing 130c when its actually 84c , fuel is way out , I just zero trip meter at refuel and when it hits 450km I fill up always about 10litres left , all other readings seem ok .

Lots of imfo about this issue on audi tt uk forum , costs about $150 pound to get a fix in uk , big bucks in OZ .

4 I answered

5 Wheel spin , its FWD , don't push so hard in 1st gear , move to second swiftly , my GTI has same issue , case of learning to know how to put the power down .

3. Default

Thanks for the advice!

Ended up changing the thermostat the other day as it was running cool and was all very simple and straight forward. I have noticed there is tons of help/guides/videos online for almost all possible trouble areas of the car.
    I will be doing the LCD fix myself when the replacement arrives and also rectify an airbag light with the new VAG-COM cable I have. The concert stereo seems to turn itself off over rough bumps when my partner is in the passenger seat, but that doesn't bother me really.

Will be taking a trip to German Auto in a month or so.

All in all, very happy with my purchase. Could easily see myself in a Mk2 or 3 TT in he future.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Tyson123; July 13th, 2016 at 09:47 PM.

Welcome to owning a Mk1 :)

The audible bongs I believe is normal, my car does it too!
    Not too sure about many of the other questions however I do remember there being a dash recall on the TTs so that could be the source of your issues
    I've got a FWD too and the wheel spin is normal! My old set of tyres were on their way out and I could light them up fairly easily however new set of Pilot Sport 3s grip alright. If youre trying to launch it, just as the boost makes itself know, I lift a little bit then floor it again and get minimal wheel spin that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson123 View Post

Thanks,
    Don't own a TT but it sounds the same as all my Audis, you need to have the seat belt done up before you start it, a do up your seat belt warning.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson123 View Post
    Hello, new MK 1 Audi TT owner here, just got a few questions.

I purchased a 1999 Audi TT (non Quattro) for what I believe to be a good price. 107000kms on the motor, couple of little scratches and bruises on the body work, interior is still in great condition besides the seats.
    Loving it so far, very stylish inside and out.

But I have a few questions:

1: Timing belt was done @87ks, that was 4 years ago, would you recommend doing it again next year?
    3: The LCD screen isn't the best and with the start up check list; the first two have pictures with big animations of the oil and coolent, is this normal. The rest of the pics are up on the top section of the screen. Then it says OK. All my Coolent, oils and fluids are at correct levels,
    4: A good audi servicing business in Adelaide south, besides German auto.
    5: I get front wheel spin very easily, is this my driving/tyres or the car

Thanks,
    IIRC service interval for timing belt, water pump area is every 40,000km

normal

LCD - if you are handy with a soldering iron you can fix it yourself for much cheaper than taking it in to someone. You should not have any animations upon startup. It should be picture of the car with relevant doors open. nothing on the yellow section. When you turn the car on the top yellow section should read "OK" and the picture of the car will turn into the temperature and whatever reading you the the display set at. Are the pictures red or yellow?
    I would check sensors for both

Love the TT styling!!!!
    "Let food be thy medicine and let medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

7. Default

Is your cool tank a dull red brown colour, mine was and turned out to be the oil cooler leaking some oil into the coolant system. trust me i had major issues with the cooling system and now know everything about it. In the end i had a half blocked raditor.