Thread: MMI tether to internet for Google Earth

Default MMI tether to internet for Google Earth

Hello!
    I recently got my firmware upgraded and TMC activated by audiofidelity on my MY2011 Audi A6 (C7) with MMI 3G+ (no SIM).
    Going from firmware P0358 to K0900 there are a few changes which I have noticed,
    one of which is the addition of Audi Connect in the MMI menu screen and Google Earth under map type.

Obviously, as my car is not fitted with a SIM card and I am unable to get rSAP to work - even after enabling both NAD features in green menu, I thought I would try my luck at attempting some instructions found on the Internet. The aim is to connect to the internet via a phone, but to test it out myself, plugged into my home router (ADSL)
    Before spending the cash on a tetherbox (I like to try things out myself!) I thought I would have a look into it, however are having some troubles and were hoping somebody could help me identify some solutions!

Purchased:
    USB to AMI interface
    Trendnet USB LAN adaptor

I have enabled green menu, set Install Fair Mode, run an update script via SD card to set my name server to the gateway IP of my home router (10.0.0.1), I see the IP is set to DHCP instead of fixed, however it seems that it is not receiving a dynamic IP address from the DHCP server (router)

To troubleshoot, I have used wireshack to analyse the packets - I see DHCP Discover packet originating from the Trendnet adaptor 172.16.250.248 address to broadcast address 255.255.255.255 to which it receives no reply from the router.
    When plugging a laptop into the adaptor, I see the DHCP Offer/Requests packets also, and they do not originate from a defined IP address 172.16.250.248 which appears under my adaptor status in MMI.

Under /config/console Adaptor status: I get:
    -----DLink Adaptor---
    etc.etc.
    input: 204 packets etc.
    output: 15 packets etc.
    inet 172.16.250.248 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 172.16.255.255

From what it seems, the address has been set static..... on a different subnet to the home router so the DHCP server is not responding to packets from an already defined address....
    I am not sure if this is normal, or if this has been set by audio fidelity when they set up my TMC (which works great may I add, highly recommended) however was hoping someone here may be able to assist with some scripts to modify this IP address, subnet mask, dns and/or gateway address

Is anybody aware how to modify this IP, perhaps what scripts to run to configure this ip address, net mask and broadcast address to a 10.0.0.0/8 network?
    Home router/DHCP server set:
    IP: 10.0.0.1
    DHCP pool: 10.0.0.50-10.0.0.100 /24
    Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    DNS1: 8.8.8.8
    DNS2: 8.8.4.4

Also, when touching Install Fair mode, my MMI seems to get to "Copy pf.conf"
    "cp Copying /mnt/efs-system/scripts/Connectivity/pf.conf to...." and then doesn't seem to do anything else. Is this the end of the command or am I interrupting it by rebooting the MMI?

Thanks all for your help!
    2011 Audi A6 C7 3.0L TDI quattro
    --Options--
    - 20x8.5" 4G0 601 025 AC 8AU
    - HUD
    - BOSE
    - Deluxe Climate Control

--Mods--
    Needle sweep on startup, Start/Stop 'remember last setting', Passenger mirror dip on reverse gear, Kerb lighting on hard turn, DRL only for home lights, Tail light on with front DRL
    Google Maps and Audi Connect (Street View/POI online search/Google Earth overlay/Wikipedia) with Trendnet ET100 USB adaptor & USB-AMI Adaptor & TPLink MR3020 & Huawei E1762 Optus 3G modem

Ended up getting it all sorted - didn't work with my home router - purchased a mobile router, plugged in an Optus USB 3G modem, set it up with correct 192.168.1.x network, and worked like a charm!
    Seems to drop in and out every so often - so hoping to trial with a few different AMI to USB adaptors/USB Ethernet adaptors with similar ASIX chipsets
    --Options--
    - HUD
    - BOSE
    - Deluxe Climate Control

--Mods--
    Needle sweep on startup, Start/Stop 'remember last setting', Passenger mirror dip on reverse gear, Kerb lighting on hard turn, DRL only for home lights, Tail light on with front DRL
    Google Maps and Audi Connect (Street View/POI online search/Google Earth overlay/Wikipedia) with Trendnet ET100 USB adaptor & USB-AMI Adaptor & TPLink MR3020 & Huawei E1762 Optus 3G modem

What did audiofidelity do to enable google connect in your mmi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H8t0w8 View Post

As far as I'm aware, nothing - just the firmware upgrade (part of activating TMC)
    --Options--
    - HUD
    - BOSE
    - Deluxe Climate Control

--Mods--

PM'd you lochie.

2010 Skoda Octavia II (for sale)
    2011 VW Transporter 5 door
    2012 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro
    S-line.

Quote Originally Posted by H8t0w8 View Post

I find this too good to be true - definitely keen to hear more about it!

Quote Originally Posted by shterk View Post
    I find this too good to be true - definitely keen to hear more about it!
    What would you like to know?
    https://thetechycorner.wordpress.com...-google-earth/
    --Options--
    - HUD
    - BOSE
    - Deluxe Climate Control

--Mods--

Quote Originally Posted by lochie360 View Post
    That's pretty much it - thanks mate.

So you have it all sorted now? Really interested in doing this myself.

I finally have google maps and online searching working 😆

Huge thanks to lochie360 for your kind assistance.

Very happy now.

I can confirm the trendnet ethernet adapter was the keys for me.

Now to enable online traffic.
    I get the error that online traffic data licence has expired!

Again thanks to many people who have added to all the forums.

2010 Skoda Octavia II (for sale)
    2011 VW Transporter 5 door
    2012 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro
    S-line.

Hi team, I need your help, MMI is saying "not enough memory to load Google maps" what do I do to clear the memory

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk