Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: 8V FL S3 - OEM Aluminium Gear Knob replacement

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjc86 View Post
    Not yet fitted as my car has yet to arrive. Will let you know how I go in due time! I hope you get yours sorted out mate


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers

    I think nothing to worry about from your end... I worked it out eventually - someone sold me a 2nd hand gearknob and shift boot that came off a S1, passed off as brand new.

    So much for supporting local businesses

  2. #12

    Default

    Thanks mate, fingers crossed. I'll take mine into the dealership to size it up sometime.

    Good luck with sorting yours - I hope you have some kind of luck with the vendor!
    Patiently awaiting: MY17 S3 Sedan | Manual | Daytona Grey | LED Matrix headlights | S Performance Package 2 | Split seats | Elec. Mirrors

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    424
    Thanked: 171

    Default

    Aluminium soo hot to touch in summer >_<"
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

    2012 Golf R 2002 Silvia 200sx S15

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to morph. For This Useful Post:

    jjc86 (March 3rd, 2017)

  5. #14

    Default

    Stoked. For anyone searching, the US supplier worked out a treat.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patiently awaiting: MY17 S3 Sedan | Manual | Daytona Grey | LED Matrix headlights | S Performance Package 2 | Split seats | Elec. Mirrors

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjc86 For This Useful Post:

    AdamD (May 1st, 2017), Muffy (May 3rd, 2017)

  7. #15

    Default

    Does anyone look at a manual gear knob and have that feeling of looking at old technology. The last manual I had was the 350Z and now my thoughts are " why would I push the lever into gear when a button could do it quicker for me". Weird but never thought I would drive anything but a manual, but here I am thinking the opposite.
    MY17 8V S3 Sedan - Daytona Grey - SPP1 - Assist Pack - Pano Roof - Black Styling - Ext Mirror Pkg - Design Light Inlays

    2011 Golf R - 2008 350Z - 2004 WRX - 2000 CRX

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robza View Post
    Does anyone look at a manual gear knob and have that feeling of looking at old technology. The last manual I had was the 350Z and now my thoughts are " why would I push the lever into gear when a button could do it quicker for me". Weird but never thought I would drive anything but a manual, but here I am thinking the opposite.
    If I'm looking at a car's interior and I see an auto/DSG shifter, something in my subconscious is immediately disappointed. It's been that way since I was about 10, and it still is. If I see a manual shifter, the little voice in my head says "fun!".
    2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdamD For This Useful Post:

    Blue1 (May 2nd, 2017), jjc86 (May 2nd, 2017), Muffy (May 3rd, 2017)

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    104
    Thanked: 45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    If I'm looking at a car's interior and I see an auto/DSG shifter, something in my subconscious is immediately disappointed. It's been that way since I was about 10, and it still is. If I see a manual shifter, the little voice in my head says "fun!".
    Well said, couldn't agree more...

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue1 For This Useful Post:

    jjc86 (May 2nd, 2017), Muffy (May 3rd, 2017)

  12. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    If I'm looking at a car's interior and I see an auto/DSG shifter, something in my subconscious is immediately disappointed. It's been that way since I was about 10, and it still is. If I see a manual shifter, the little voice in my head says "fun!".
    I have driven my fair share of manual cars and you are right it is fun but I had a fun time driving a Porsche Turbo around the track using paddle shifts and that's what finally convinced me to go with the DSG. It's just when I look at a gear lever it looks out of place amongst all the electronics, it seems as outdated as the window winders. I can see how some people will choose the manual box as it gives them more of a connection to their car, unfortunately for those people the manual box will be phased out as car manufacturers will no longer want to run with that older system.
    MY17 8V S3 Sedan - Daytona Grey - SPP1 - Assist Pack - Pano Roof - Black Styling - Ext Mirror Pkg - Design Light Inlays

    2011 Golf R - 2008 350Z - 2004 WRX - 2000 CRX

  13. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robza View Post
    I have driven my fair share of manual cars and you are right it is fun but I had a fun time driving a Porsche Turbo around the track using paddle shifts and that's what finally convinced me to go with the DSG. It's just when I look at a gear lever it looks out of place amongst all the electronics, it seems as outdated as the window winders. I can see how some people will choose the manual box as it gives them more of a connection to their car, unfortunately for those people the manual box will be phased out as car manufacturers will no longer want to run with that older system.
    You missed the option to choose an older manual car. They aren't saturated with electronics either, Bonus. It's the theoretical democracy thing, people actually get to choose what they want, not what someone says is right for them. That said, I have an auto too, so not biased.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

    Muffy (May 3rd, 2017)

  15. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robza View Post
    I have driven my fair share of manual cars and you are right it is fun but I had a fun time driving a Porsche Turbo around the track using paddle shifts and that's what finally convinced me to go with the DSG. It's just when I look at a gear lever it looks out of place amongst all the electronics, it seems as outdated as the window winders. I can see how some people will choose the manual box as it gives them more of a connection to their car, unfortunately for those people the manual box will be phased out as car manufacturers will no longer want to run with that older system.
    There's still a market for manual cars, although it's diminished from pre-DSG days of course. In the future it may be necessary to spend big on niche premium product in order to get into a manual, but I'm confident they'll still be available until we see the last of the internal combustion engine.

    I owned a DSG-equipped car for 5 years, and still have 3 of them in the family. A superb gearbox, no question. But I don't pretend my car is a racer where tenths count (on track or the traffic light GP), and I'm happy to sacrifice some convenience for the added intimacy of a shifter and clutch. Your mileage may vary.
    2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamD For This Useful Post:

    jjc86 (May 4th, 2017), Muffy (May 3rd, 2017)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •