Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8V FL S3 - OEM Aluminium Gear Knob replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Robza View Post
    I have driven my fair share of manual cars and you are right it is fun but I had a fun time driving a Porsche Turbo around the track using paddle shifts and that's what finally convinced me to go with the DSG.
    I'd hazard a guess if you drove the Porsche Turbo manual right after the same car in a PDK on a track you would exit the manual car happier. In this day and age with such good autos available they make sense for a daily driver but unless you are in full competition mode on a track where every second counts there really is nothing better than nailing a perfect lap in a manual , knowing YOU did it, not the computer / autobox... The sense of satisfaction just isn't the same without doing it yourself.

Ultimately a personal choice but there is and will continue to be a niche market for manuals... Look at Porsche as an example - customer backlash led management to rethink mooted PDK only strategies.
    SOLD : 2015 Audi S3 Sedan - Mythos Black - 6 sp manual
    ARRIVED JAN : BMW M2 Coupe - Black (everything) - 6 sp manual - Vorsteiner wheels

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muffy For This Useful Post:

AdamD (May 4th, 2017), jjc86 (May 4th, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
    I'd hazard a guess if you drove the Porsche Turbo manual right after the same car in a PDK on a track you would exit the manual car happier. In this day and age with such good autos available they make sense for a daily driver but unless you are in full competition mode on a track where every second counts there really is nothing better than nailing a perfect lap in a manual , knowing YOU did it, not the computer / autobox... The sense of satisfaction just isn't the same without doing it yourself.

Ultimately a personal choice but there is and will continue to be a niche market for manuals... Look at Porsche as an example - customer backlash led management to rethink mooted PDK only strategies.
    I would probably prefer a manual on the track but driving that PDK convinced me to go with the DSG on my daily driver, but I do agree their will always be a market for the manual box. You did mention there was a backlash as Porsche did try to stop the manual and it will only be a matter of time before they try it again. By the way do F1 cars still use a manual shifter 😜.
    MY17 8V S3 Sedan - Daytona Grey - SPP1 - Assist Pack - Pano Roof - Black Styling - Ext Mirror Pkg - Design Light Inlays

2011 Golf R - 2008 350Z - 2004 WRX - 2000 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Robza View Post
    By the way do F1 cars still use a manual shifter .
    Multi million $ cars in a multi million $ industry timing to 1/100 second, of course not. It's all about $, not driver satisfaction. I've had a life long affiliation with mechanical things so I can appreciate ANY car. I get, separately, great enjoyment from driving / riding and attempting to get all the ducks in a row. There is nothing more personally satisfying than getting your best lap / drive in a non assisted car, where everything is your choice and any error is yours. Today you share that top step with the plethora of Computer Units, software engineers and so on that made it all happen. Might be a bit old fashioned but I think that the personal bar isn't set that high if an individual pumps the air when only 50% of the result is theirs. Now, if I was a real race driver being paid to win, of course I'd take the DSG, it's the difference between Maccas and a steak at the end of the day. But I'm not, just driving a road car on the road so the F1 comparisons are just a little bit left field.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

Muffy (May 5th, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Multi million $ cars in a multi million $ industry timing to 1/100 second, of course not. It's all about $, not driver satisfaction. I've had a life long affiliation with mechanical things so I can appreciate ANY car. I get, separately, great enjoyment from driving / riding and attempting to get all the ducks in a row. There is nothing more personally satisfying than getting your best lap / drive in a non assisted car, where everything is your choice and any error is yours. Today you share that top step with the plethora of Computer Units, software engineers and so on that made it all happen. Might be a bit old fashioned but I think that the personal bar isn't set that high if an individual pumps the air when only 50% of the result is theirs. Now, if I was a real race driver being paid to win, of course I'd take the DSG, it's the difference between Maccas and a steak at the end of the day. But I'm not, just driving a road car on the road so the F1 comparisons are just a little bit left field.
    It all starts on the track and the technology moves on to the road cars, I will have the steak thanks. The satisfaction is still there when you are using the paddles and not just sticking it in auto, and you are steering the car so its not driving itself. Anyway my comment was that a shifter looks old amongst all that technology, I never said it wasn't fun. It all comes down to evolution and technology and you are right, winners always use the latest technology.
    MY17 8V S3 Sedan - Daytona Grey - SPP1 - Assist Pack - Pano Roof - Black Styling - Ext Mirror Pkg - Design Light Inlays

2011 Golf R - 2008 350Z - 2004 WRX - 2000 CRX