Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cluster upgrade - ColourMFA

1. Default

Last edited by bahaimus; August 7th, 2017 at 01:50 PM.

2. Default

I'm also keen if you do another round.

I found some time and put together my kit and installed into the B5 RS4 cluster I bought. It all went well with no hiccups except my oil temp needle is sticking, just need to pull the cluster out and re position the needle. If you are thinking installing one of these kits you will need a little bit of patience a decent soldering iron and some soldering skills to go with it.

Once installed it works really well with copious amounts a data that can be displayed. I have a RSNE in the B5 and I also get CD and Radio data displayed. The only data not displaying is boost pressure, I think maybe they have not mapped the B5 data correctly. I'll get in touch with Ian for comment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tas_Audi; August 6th, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Sold - 2008 B7 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Sold - 2005 B7 A4, 1.8T Avant SLine

Tas, that looks really nice. Taking your time, how many hours would you say is involved in this?

Update.

I got the Boost working, you have to hardwire the signal from the MAP sensor Pin 4, or from the ECU connector, I did the latter, to the Cluster. I ended up using Pin 32 of the Grey connector, if you go this way you will also need a repair wire to fit the connector.

Also fixed the sticking Oil Pressure needle while I was at it.

Now for anybody running a B5S4 or C5A6 who have fitted a RSN-E but don't have a Bjarne Cangate module to allow the clocks to sync, Colour MFA solves this issue, it has a CAN controller on board to talk to the infotainment bus and automatically synchs the clocks, I also assume GALA will work as it supposed to as well.

Now for anybody doing one of these kits themselves I would invest in a large well light magnifying glass, I have a larger bench mounted unit with 60 LEDs which I use for all PCB work, no matter how good your eyes are it makes easy work of soldering when the pitch between pads is quite small. It also makes it easy to pick up solder/flux bridges. I also suggest that when soldering wires to the colour MFA that you strip, twist and tin the ends prior to placing the wire in the pad on the board. After the wire is soldered cut off any excess length, use some decent flush cutters for this.

Time wise for me I would say it took me a good day to do everything....
    - solder wire tails to Colour MFA board, make sure you tag all the tails with a label or you'll be busy with a meter.
    - remove cluster from car and pull apart
    - remove existing DIS and surface mount LEDs, I'm lucky I have a vacuum desoldering station which makes life a little easier. on the larger LEDs which are 2 pin, these are easy enough, but there are 2 row of LEDs which are 4 pin, I cut the LEDs in half with my cutters and then removed, I find it easier that way.
    - mount Colour MFA board.
    - route wires to the connectors, you need to make sure you have enough length to work with but not too much or you will find yourself cutting and resoldering.
    - double check all connections
    - reassemble Cluster
    - wire Boost signal
    - install cluster and test.
    - Remove beer from fridge, remove top and enjoy, job done.

If anybody wants pointers with assembly PM me happy to assist. I'll make a video tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tas_Audi; August 7th, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tas_Audi For This Useful Post:

MattA4 (August 8th, 2017)

Great outcome. The cangate info is priceless. I have a few slightly off topic questions so a PM is winging your way.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tas_Audi For This Useful Post:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tas_Audi For This Useful Post:

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Excellent work David! Some great tips there too!

You can now be the go to man for the RS4/A6 platform hahaha.

I am guessing it's pretty similar to the 8L cluster bar having extra bits on the sides for the gauges.

For all interested in the next group buy - it will open up at the end of August

I don't check these forums too often so if you're interested PM me via facebook or on here... and i'll hopefully get the email to notify me.

Via Facebook i will definitely get the notification for interest

https://www.facebook.com/Audi-FIS-Cl...9279964367026/
    "Let food be thy medicine and let medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates