Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spotted: Victorian C5 allroad in Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by kermac View Post
    Sorry Tony - I think I missed that one. Arnotts have always had the basic replacement airbag and an uprated one (Gen 2 or is it Gen 3?) Don't know if they still do this.

Haven't looked at their website for a while but they used to have a lifetime warranty on all airbags, then they wound it back to 2 years for overseas customers. I read quite a lot about them at the time I had a couple of Gen 1s fitted (by Costello) and their failure rate seemed low-to-non-existent because they had fairly distinct design differences. Which is not something you can say about the factory jobbies
    The original Arnott bags failed where they folded back to the mounting ring. The membrane eventually cracked at the fold and became porus, so down they went. The new bags have a different specification membrane and further reworked alloy sections but if you spend most of the time on level 2, they will still fail eventually. I have been getting emails from Arnott about returnable cores from Australia but the list I found does not include the allroad so not much value there.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

2. Default

Gee you've had a bad run!
    Yup - in the zone at present... headlights (low beam) gone as well...
    I've never heard of an Arnotts airbag failing so it sounds as if their quality control is slipping. I know their warranty for overseas customers is not as generous as for US customers, but you should be well within your rights here.
    Speaking to Wayne at Three Point they had a bad run when they switched to self manufacture, so he was awesome and sent down another two (LHS, and RHS) for installation that are the right batch - these ones are March 2017, so I'd make sure that you have the good batches.
    From previous conversations with the dealer, he won't touch parts that aren't genuine.
    I've had a pretty decent run with them - the recognise that the genuine parts are $$$ so they did fit the first two times, howver not without a big delay, and not able to get a loaner...
    The man you want is Anthony Costello in Albany Street Fyshwick. Not only does he charge a lot less than the dealer, I have found his work measurably better (not that I've taken my car to the dealer for many years...) What's more he'll give you a 'loaner' for the day if you give him a few days' notice. He has a pretty impressive operation out there, as well as training facility for mechanics from any sort of car business - not just German cars.
    Just tell him Kerry sent you (I was one of his first Audi customers)
    AWESOME booked in for Monday... with a loaner - dealer was saying three weeks and given that I had both headlights go on me driving down the Parkway at 100kmh at 8pm i'm also hoping that the chaps at Battery Factory in Philip can sort that out tomorrow... its been a great week for spending money...
    Now: 2008 A6 Allroad 3.0 Diesel
    Gone, but never forgotten - MY98 Ming Blue A6 Quattro 2.8
    MY07 Electric Silver Volvo XC90 ...
    Wish: Allroad - any ideas PM??
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    To control your home technology environment, like our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/mifamily.net
    Awareness, knowledge, and real help for parents
    --------------------------------------------------------------

The man you want is Anthony Costello in Albany Street Fyshwick. Not only does he charge a lot less than the dealer, I have found his work measurably better (not that I've taken my car to the dealer for many years...) What's more he'll give you a 'loaner' for the day if you give him a few days' notice. He has a pretty impressive operation out there, as well as training facility for mechanics from any sort of car business - not just German cars.

Just tell him Kerry sent you (I was one of his first Audi customers)
    Hi, I'm moving back to Australia in a month or so and will likely be based in the Batemans Bay area for a few years. Would I be correct in thinking that this guy is perhaps the closest (and best) for my 1999 A6 quattro Avant?
    "You've got a chart filling a whole wall with interlocking pathways and reactions to shock and the researcher says "If I can just control this one molecule/enzyme/compound I'll stop the whole negative physiologic cascade of post haemorrhagic shock." Yeah, right."

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NucMed View Post
    Hi, I'm moving back to Australia in a month or so and will likely be based in the Batemans Bay area for a few years. Would I be correct in thinking that this guy is perhaps the closest (and best) for my 1999 A6 quattro Avant?
    About a 2 hour drive from Batman's Bay to Fyshwick. The A6 should love the Clyde mountain.
    Love the south coast. We go to Narooma quite often. Just no work down that way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gregstv For This Useful Post:

NucMed (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregstv View Post
    About a 2 hour drive from Batman's Bay to Fyshwick. The A6 should love the Clyde mountain.
    Yes, driven it many times in the past (well, to Canberra anyway). Have the roadworks going east just after Northangera been finished yet? It was a few km of dirt track last time I went through.
    "You've got a chart filling a whole wall with interlocking pathways and reactions to shock and the researcher says "If I can just control this one molecule/enzyme/compound I'll stop the whole negative physiologic cascade of post haemorrhagic shock." Yeah, right."