Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Euro plate colour? S3

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zeiron View Post
    I know it fits, but I think the standard euro plates are too big for the S3. The car is too small and the plate and font size overwhelm the car. I know the front is made for a euro plate but it just dominates the grille and space between the rear lights. It's not so bad on the hatch as the space between the rear lights is larger. That leaves the slim line plates for both front and back, which end up costing nearly $1000!

Im actually having an argument with VicRoads about upgrading a custom plate to a europremium which they advertise online for $395, but they're refusing to do it. ��

So if I were you, I'd go slim line, white letters on black plates for both the front and rear.

I was considering the slimline on the front, the only thing I didn't like was the fact that the bracket holder shows behind it as it's designed for the larger Euro plate.. there's no way anyone's gotten around this with a smaller bracket have they?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thedan29 View Post
    I was considering the slimline on the front, the only thing I didn't like was the fact that the bracket holder shows behind it as it's designed for the larger Euro plate.. there's no way anyone's gotten around this with a smaller bracket have they?
    not unless u do a US grille conversion which will cost a grand or 2.
    2017 S3 Sedan | Floret Silver SP2 AP Matrix Mirror Pack Folding Seats

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sola12a View Post
    not unless u do a US grille conversion which will cost a grand or 2.
    Bugger

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thedan29 View Post
    While I'm not sure how it looks on the S3. For my Scirocco I got a Lakin plate holder. I will be getting one for the S3 when it arrives. Basically its a custom made number plate holder, its made specifically for each car, and for every style of number plate offered in Australia. The guy running it is a solo operator I think and incredibly helpful and nice. He is a bit behind at the moment, but worth the wait. The normal plate holder on the VW was massive and looked horrible.

You can google the name for the website.

edit: it might not solve the problem from what I can tell. I'd have to see what they look like when I get them, unless anyone else has put them on already and can get me an idea of what they look like
    edit2: the more i research the more it seems that the bracket won't fix this problem. I do wonder what the bracket will look like though... now i have to work out an alternative
    Last edited by mikek; March 16th, 2017 at 09:42 PM.

This is what the S3 (pre-FL) looks like with a US-spec grille and a Lakin bracket, with a "Premium" (slimline) plate fitted:

20160717_audi_s3_022.jpg
    2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamD For This Useful Post:

Muffy (March 22nd, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    For my Scirocco I got a Lakin plate holder. I will be getting one for the S3 when it arrives. Basically its a custom made number plate holder, its made specifically for each car, and for every style of number plate offered in Australia. The guy running it is a solo operator I think and incredibly helpful and nice.

You can google the name for the website.
    No need to Google:

Philip Reeve
    1300 838 454
    0419 322 071
    philip@lakinplates.com.au

Circa $170 for the custom brackets and prestige plate covers shipped. Well worth it, I got them for both the S3 and M2 and they are significantly better then the stock setup.
    SOLD : 2015 Audi S3 Sedan - Mythos Black - 6 sp manual
    ARRIVED JAN : BMW M2 Coupe - Black (everything) - 6 sp manual - Vorsteiner wheels

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffy For This Useful Post:

AdamD (Yesterday)