Thread: Kerrys TT Radiator

Default Kerrys TT Radiator

[QUOTE] Not wanting to hijack the thread - the TT blew out all its coolant three or four weeks ago while I was doing some performance logging up a nearby hill. Turned out to be a blown head gasket - which in its early beginnings just might have contributed to the lack of performance for which I was seeking an answer in the logs. The weird thing is that when I got the front cover off and looked at the top radiator hose, the clamp had moved about 6 inches from where it was supposed to be around the radiator outlet spigot. It could only be shifted by means of vise grips, meaning it hadn't got into that position all by itself. Yet no one had touched the clamp to my certain knowledge since last serviced several months before. So the system had been keeping the (pressurised) coolant contained for weeks or months without the aid of a clamp on the top hose. Whaddya think of that?

I'm using it as an opportunity to install an upgraded turbo (probably a hybrid) together with manifold, clutch and all the usual bits while the head's off. Two birds with one stone, that sort of thing... [QUOTE]

I took the liberty of starting a new thread so as not to hi jack the allroad suspension discussion. I was intrigued by the mention of a clamp on the radiator spigot. Having just moved a couple of Audi radiators, the common point was that the hose to the radiator was in every case secured by an O Ring fitting secured by a wire clip. Not having a TT nor having even looked at one closely, is this clamp mentioned in fact the OE solution or something else. I have OE spring clamps on the block spigots but O Ring connectors on the radiator. I did notice on the allroad that a few of the factory spring clamps had been replaced by jubilee clamps, in one case they even left the spring clamp 100mm down the hose and a jubilee on the connection.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Thanks for drawing my attention to this post Tony - in its proper forum! However, you will no doubt have noticed how few threads there are in the TT forum which is why I generally seek advice from A4 owners.

I don't know whether the spring clamp was the original fitting (it looks much too low-tech for Audi), but this is what I found several inches down the hose towards the block. Nothing else - and of course the hose and the spigot were no longer joined.

After I had my little episode back in August with the wallaby (on Wombat Road on the way to Wombat, natch), the car was repaired extremely badly by GIO's preferred repairer in Queanbeyan. There were numerous faults including the front bumper and new headlamp not being bolted on properly, fans not working, panels not lined up. So I took it to Anthony Costello's for him to straighten out and give me a report for the insurance company so I could claim the cost of remedial repairs. This was to be accompanied by a written report for the insurance company but the latter has never been delivered in spite of repeated requests. I guess writing is not their forte. The remedial repairs are great.

So it's most likely the original repairer removed the radiator or possibly just the hose, and failed to bolt it back up again. After all, they took the splash/sound insulation panels off the bottom of the car and failed to replace them, broke one of the panels at the front of the engine and cut or tore the rubber seal at the back of the engine bay...

The other possibility is that Costello removed the hose in his efforts to get things bolted up properly, or to get the fans working again. So either the clamp moved itself whilst I was logging (unlikely as stated) or it was moved by the body repairer in August or by Costello's boys in November. What a mystery
    The new baby: MY01 TT quattro 225 Roadster, BAM motor. QMS flash. HPA Coilovers. Gauges by FIS-Control.
    Back on the road: MY00 A4tqm - GP Series with GTRS and a few bits and bobs. Now running smoothly with Drewe's low-mileage motor (a spritely 180K km). Zeitronix monitors the Heat Demons
    Gone and almost forgotten: MY01 allroad - 2.7TT 6-speed, dual-range manual, GIAC St I. Beautiful motor and box, untameable handling ***SOLD***
    Fanging since the 60s

wow, thats an update. I think I was OS at the time and seemed to have missed all the excitement. What a drama. Pity that we now seems to experience a surplus of poor tradesmen in the body work field. Makes you wonder why it is all so difficult.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I think what most made me lose faith in the original repairer most was when I noticed the car was overheating and conducted extensive tests on the radiator fans which showed one didn't work under any circumstances, while the other was on all the time the aircon was switched on but at no other time (ie neither fan was activated by high coolant temps).

I called the foreman who had managed the repair since this was on my original list of things to be fixed following the accident and he swore blind he had an auto electrician look at it and both fans were working to specification. He'd even "seen it himself". I believe he was lying in his teeth. He also failed to notice all the panels which hadn't been replaced under the car, or broken. Not to mention the extremely poor panel fit or the fact the headlamps weren't aligned because they were not bolted in and "flapping about" to quote Anthony Costello. Need I go on?

Costello had to replace the main rad fan, the fan control unit and relay,and the after-run pump which had also sh*t itself.

If you need any bodywork repairs done, contact me and I'll send you a private message to tell you who NOT to go to.
    The new baby: MY01 TT quattro 225 Roadster, BAM motor. QMS flash. HPA Coilovers. Gauges by FIS-Control.
    Back on the road: MY00 A4tqm - GP Series with GTRS and a few bits and bobs. Now running smoothly with Drewe's low-mileage motor (a spritely 180K km). Zeitronix monitors the Heat Demons
    Gone and almost forgotten: MY01 allroad - 2.7TT 6-speed, dual-range manual, GIAC St I. Beautiful motor and box, untameable handling ***SOLD***
    Fanging since the 60s