Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creaking noise coming from my SQ5 sunroof

The sound emanated whenever the car body was slightly 'bowed - i.e manoeuvring in a manner such that not one of the wheels was level with the other.
    Sadly I cannot put my finger on precisely what fixed it in the end as I blitzed the target zone.
    I cleaned out the back end completely - rear seats, rear floor, boot, spare, tools, all rear seats down and back up several times to ensure the latches were engaging correctly.
    I then placed a small strip of velcro along the internal 'ledge' where the rear parcel tray sits on either side of the car body when the rear hatch closes.
    I then applied a white lithium based aerosol grease to the knuckle joints of the powered rear struts both at the top and bottom and also the hatch hinges at the top of the rear hatch.
    I gently rotated the rear support struts clockwise and anti clockwise a little several time to try and work the grease into the articulating joints.
    I finally opened and closed the hatch several times.
    Annoyingly when I first drove it there were still some signs of the creaking when manoeuvring obliquely over kerbs to try and deliberately make the sound re-occur but it was diminished .
    Over the next two or three drives it then stopped completely and has (to-date) not re-appeared.
    Normally I would do one fiddle and leave to finally determine exactly what the cause was but I was a little time poor over that period and was also getting mighty pissed at its persistence.
    My major concern was to determine that to it was not the sunroof as per Morrie but (although initially I could convince myself it was) the sound definitely did not emanate from the roof area but to the rear of it.
    Good luck - it's amazing with all the other noises around you in a car how a small, persistent sound like that can annoy and negatively impact the driving experience.
    Last edited by Dingah; July 6th, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Dingah

2017 RSQ3 Performance + and Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    The sound emanated whenever the car body was 'towed - i.e manoeuvring in a manner such that not one of the wheels was level with the other.
    Sadly I cannot put my finger on precisely what fixed it in the end as I blitzed the target zone.
    I cleaned out the back end completely - rear seats, rear floor, boot, spare, tools, all rear seats down and back up several times to ensure the latches were engaging correctly.
    I then placed a small strip of velcro along the internal 'ledge' where the rear parcel tray sits on either side of the car body when the rear hatch closes.
    I then applied a white lithium based aerosol grease to the knuckle joints of the powered rear struts both at the top and bottom and also the hatch hinges at the top of the rear hatch.
    I gently rotated the rear support struts clockwise and anti clockwise a little several time to try and work the grease into the articulating joints.
    I finally opened and closed the hatch several times.
    Annoyingly when I first drove it there were still some signs of the creaking when manoeuvring obliquely over kerbs to try and deliberately make the sound re-occur but it was diminished .
    Over the next two or three drives it then stopped completely and has (to-date) not re-appeared.
    Normally I would do one fiddle and leave to finally determine exactly what the cause was but I was a little time poor over that period and was also getting mighty pissed at its persistence.
    My major concern was to determine that to it was not the sunroof as per Morrie but (although initially I could convince myself it was) the sound definitely did not emanate from the roof area but to the rear of it.
    Good luck - it's amazing with all the other noises around you in a car how a small, persistent sound like that can annoy and negatively impact the driving experience.
    Thanks for the detailed response. I agree, it definitely impacts the driving experience.
    I'm also due to take the car back to Audi (again) so hopefully they can do something about this this time.

You are the man @Dingah.

After trying the parcel shelf ledge Velcro trick previously, and numerous attempts by Audi to fix, the spray lithium grease on the tailgate strut knuckles has fixed this issue on my 2014 SQ5.

It was really my biggest gripe about an otherwise excellent car.

No rattles/squeaks anywhere now, just how it should be.

Thanks mate.

Shane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current rides: Audi SQ5, HSV E3 GTS, Ducati Streetfighter

Absolute pleasure and great it worked for you too.
    Dingah

2017 RSQ3 Performance + and Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

5. Default

Had extended warranty luckily, getting the whole roof replaced this week. Hopefully the noise goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk