Thread: Does an A4 2013 MY14 have the EA888 Gen 3?

1. Default Does an A4 2013 MY14 have the EA888 Gen 3?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if an Australian delivered A4 S-Line Wagon manufactured in 2013 but an MY14 with the 165kW engine has the EA888 Gen 3 engine with the dual direct and port injection?

I am considering buying one, and would prefer the gen 3 engine with the port injection, but can't find anywhere to work out which models had this?

Thanks!!

-- Adrian

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vosadrian View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if an Australian delivered A4 S-Line Wagon manufactured in 2013 but an MY14 with the 165kW engine has the EA888 Gen 3 engine with the dual direct and port injection?

I am considering buying one, and would prefer the gen 3 engine with the port injection, but can't find anywhere to work out which models had this?

Thanks!!

-- Adrian
    I'm pretty sure it did. Easiest way to tell is the location of he oil cap on the engine which should be near the front instead of the centre like it was for the Gen 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Default

Thanks for that. I can't see actual photos of the engine of the car I am looking at, but a few other of that model on carsales have engine photos and seem to have the oil cap at the front which as you say indicates gen 3. I am inspecting the car on the weekend so will note the oil cap position.

My understanding is that the gen 3 version is less susceptible to carbon buildup and the engine may have a bit more tuning potential. Is that correct?

Cheers,

Adrian

4. Default

Thanks for that. I can't see actual photos of the engine of the car I am looking at, but a few other of that model on carsales have engine photos and seem to have the oil cap at the front which as you say indicates gen 3. I am inspecting the car on the weekend so will note the oil cap position.

My understanding is that the gen 3 version is less susceptible to carbon buildup and the engine may have a bit more tuning potential. Is that correct?

Cheers,

Adrian
    That's my understanding along with the oil issue being largely rectified as well.

A stage 1 tune on the Gen 3 engine will net somewhere around 220kw depending on your tuner if preference which was stage 2 numbers for the Gen 2 engine.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by A4Law View Post
    That's my understanding along with the oil issue being largely rectified as well.

A stage 1 tune on the Gen 3 engine will net somewhere around 220kw depending on your tuner if preference which was stage 2 numbers for the Gen 2 engine.

I inspected the car today and it has the oil cap at the front, so I assume it has the later engine series. Thanks for the info.

Any recommended tuners in Sydney? Just after a stage 1 stock car tune. 220kW sounds pretty good!! There is an APR dealer nearby to me. Not sure if that is a better bet than a more customised option.

Cheers,

Adrian

6. Default

I inspected the car today and it has the oil cap at the front, so I assume it has the later engine series. Thanks for the info.

Any recommended tuners in Sydney? Just after a stage 1 stock car tune. 220kW sounds pretty good!! There is an APR dealer nearby to me. Not sure if that is a better bet than a more customised option.

Cheers,

Adrian
    Custom is always going to be better but just depends if you want to fork the extra cash.

I've gone a different route and installed a JB4 on mine with the intention of tuning it myself.

Give Mark at Recode Tuning Systems a call. He will do you a Revlimit Custom tune.

Quote Originally Posted by A4Law View Post
    Custom is always going to be better but just depends if you want to save yourself the extra cash by avoiding rorts like APR.
    Much better.
    Imola '03 A4 1.8TQM

:: Motoza Performance Tuned on e85 :: Frankenturbo F21-L :: 750cc Injectors :: Milltek Exhaust :: ER Sport FMIC :: Sachs Race Engineering DM Clutch Kit ::

9. Default

Thanks guys,

I have been in touch with Mark at recode who I actually know through a former life in WRX tuning.

Cheers,

Adrian