Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Issue

1. Default Battery Issue

Today I went to drive to work, jumped into the car and nothing except warning after warning. After a jump start from roadside, the Canberra Audi Center said the ignition was left on for 4.6 hours which caused the battery to go flat. Because apparently it's our fault we now have to pay $530 to get the battery replaced. My question for everyone is how is it possible to leave the car on and, with the keys removed and it locked?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    MY17 S3 (Sportback, PP1, Assistance Pack, Panoramic Sun Roof, Mirror Pack, Daytona, 40:20:40 rear seats)

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by christianalexzappa View Post
    Today I went to drive to work, jumped into the car and nothing except warning after warning. After a jump start from roadside, the Canberra Audi Center said the ignition was left on for 4.6 hours which caused the battery to go flat. Because apparently it's our fault we now have to pay $530 to get the battery replaced. My question for everyone is how is it possible to leave the car on and, with the keys removed and it locked?

That's a very good question to ask them! I call BS..

Sent from my iPhone Audi S3

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by umm View Post
    That's a very good question to ask them! I call BS..

I did and they said they had no idea, but it happened, our fault so apparently we must pay. Does a battery actually cost that much? And does it have to come from an Audi Dealer? NRMA can code new batteries yeah?

MY17 S3 (Sportback, PP1, Assistance Pack, Panoramic Sun Roof, Mirror Pack, Daytona, 40:20:40 rear seats)

4. Default

Recharge it yourself. If you can't then get a charger. Much cheaper than a new battery and should charge well given it's a new car.
    I use one regularly to help with the discharge from my dashcam.
    MY15 S3 Sedan : Sepang Blue : SPP1 : Assist : Sunroof : Mirrors : Load Through

Whats involved with "coding" new batteries ?

and what type of battery suits our S3's 2015 PFL here ? I use a Ctek MXS5.0 once every two weeks overnight almost 2 years into ownership and all is still great.
    Current - Audi S3 MY15 Sportback, Daytona Grey Metallic Pearl, SPP, Sunroof and Mirrors Pack
    Previous - 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Selespeed

Same here as bernard; purchased a CTEK charger some years ago and if we are away or cars not being used for 48 hours just slip it on which takes all of a minute.
    As we are now finding with the new RSQ3 the electrical dependancy is increasing significantly - imagine how much a battery could be caned in traffic if the Stop Start remained active with lights (though must less these days with LEDs), HRW, A/C, wipers and so on.
    Were you transferring music to the HDD over a protracted period? If not I would give Audi a please explain as the power management should shut items down progressively if left on.
    Last edited by Dingah; April 22nd, 2017 at 08:38 AM.
    Dingah

SQ5 gone now RSQ3 Performance + and Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    Same here as bernard; purchased a CTEK charger some years ago and if we are away or cars not being used for 48 hours just slip it on which takes all of a minute.
    As we are now finding with the new RSQ3 the electrical dependancy is increasing significantly - imagine how much a battery could be caned in traffic if the Stop Start remained active with lights (though must less these days with LEDs), HRW, A/C, wipers and so on.
    Were you transferring music to the HDD over a protracted period? If not I would give Audi a please explain as the power management should shut items down progressively if left on.
    Went to the shops to grab stuff for dinner. Hopped out like I usually, engine shut down, radio, display etc powered down like usual, then locked, mirrors went in. So I don't understand how something was left on.

Quote Originally Posted by christianalexzappa View Post
    Went to the shops to grab stuff for dinner. Hopped out like I usually, engine shut down, radio, display etc powered down like usual, then locked, mirrors went in. So I don't understand how something was left on.

I'm with you on that. The software should manage the system far better than that and to have a ridiculous priced battery and need coding as well.

If you need to have a charger on when not used for 48 hours, this is just crazy. What would you do if you decided to park at the airport and were away for a week or so? I use a CTEK 10 amp and highly recommended but with antiquated B5's, I can leave one for 6 months and it still has a solid charge. Progress!
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

9. Default

I frequently leave my S3 in my garage under a car cover for 2-3 months at a time whilst I am overseas for work. No one starts it whilst I am away and I have never bothered to put it onto trickle charge and have never had an issue with it not starting first time.

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    I'm with you on that. The software should manage the system far better than that and to have a ridiculous priced battery and need coding as well.

If you need to have a charger on when not used for 48 hours, this is just crazy. What would you do if you decided to park at the airport and were away for a week or so? I use a CTEK 10 amp and highly recommended but with antiquated B5's, I can leave one for 6 months and it still has a solid charge. Progress!
    - 2016 AUDI S3 Sedan - GIAC Stage Two + & DSG Tune - OEM Audi RS3 Front Grill - OEM Audi Rear Carbon Spoiler & OEM Audi Carbon Mirrors - Far East Carbon Front Splitter - BullX 3" Downpipe & EgoX 3.5" non-Rez Race Exhaust System - HG Motorsport Gen III Carbon Intake - HG Motorsport Intercooler - GFB+ DV
    - 2015 AUDI 3.0L Q5 - STOCK BABY - Its the Daily Drive...

10. Default

I did a test with my S3, turned ignition on and from outside I couldn't lock it.. just complaining the key wasn't within range.. so unless you left the car is ready state and walked away thinking you locked it, not sure it possible without a fault.