Thread: Air intake and wide turbo elbow...should I?

Default Air intake and wide turbo elbow...should I?

Hey,

I am currently running JB4 on a MY17 S3 (Map2) and I run 98 octane fuel. No other mods. I am close to pushing the button on 2 additional hardware items:

1. VWR R600 complete air intake
    2. Turbo Technics large bore intake to turbo silicon hose with integrated enlarged turbo connection elbow.

There is soooo much confusing info about the value of the air intakes etc. Most of it is from less trusted sources.

What do OzAudi members think? Would the above make much difference compared to just modding the air intake remove the snow filter and changing the OEM paper filter?

I want to get the system to its "final" state before I start analyzing logs and getting my JB4 map 6 setup.

Any views would be appreciated!!

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Audi TTS, Ibis Whiite, all the bells and whistles!
    APR stage1

2008 VW GTI, Black, also with every available option.

2. Default

Seeing as no one else has replied ill give you a quick reply.

The less restriction the turbo has on drawing in air then the easier it spools up, in the top end it also means it has all the air it requires so it can hit more reliable a consistent numbers.

theres always loads of arguments over which intakes are better etc, the r600 has alot of side by side testing for other big names so its a good option. the filter choice is always the most important part though.

in relation to the big bend, the smoother the air transitions to the inlet and less bends etc the better. keeping it as big as possible until the last moment also helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 180boi For This Useful Post:

Lanzo84 (August 23rd, 2017)

4. Default

I am running JB1 Map 1 5.0 and Turbo Technics intake pipe with AFE dry filter and snow filter removed. The car feels much quicker than stock and would give my previous RS3 a good run.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xssiiv For This Useful Post:

Lanzo84 (August 23rd, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 180boi View Post
    Seeing as no one else has replied ill give you a quick reply.
    Thanks for the reply! So since the original post I made a few decisions and purchased:

JB4 tune box
    GFB DV+
    Turbo Technics Air to Turbo Pipe
    Racingline R600 Air Intake
    BMS Turbo Muffler Delete
    CTS downpipe

I have installed all of the above except for the Turbo Technics pipe which I have tried to install unsuccessfully twice, third time lucky hopefully this weekend after getting the connection adaptor modified to give the o-rings more space. The downpipe is still in the box, due for install next Friday.

So right now running JB4, DV+, R600 and TMD. I did not notice much difference in performance. The car sounds "sportier". You can hear a turbo whistle (slightly) and the air sucking and the whoosh (slightly) when the DV+ releases air. They are all subtle but addictive sound changes. I find myself subconsciously trying to spool the turbo.

I am sure if I removed it all (except JB4) I would notice a reduction in performance, but it's not a massive difference.

Anyone looking to do the mods. I spent about 4 hours taking my time to do it myself.

The above mods will apparently be a LOT more important when the DP goes in next week. I will post my thoughts after the DP.

So my thoughts are, these mods are good base for further tuning and I hear they are essential if going a downpipe. They make the car sound sportier. Turbo seems to spool faster. If you are staying stage 1 and don't care about the sound. Then they are a "nice to have".

On the other hand, I also got the springs (Emmanuel Design) and Rear Sway bar (034 Motorsport) these both make a huge difference to the stock handling. Definitely worth it for anyone!

2008 Audi TTS, Ibis Whiite, all the bells and whistles!
    APR stage1

2008 VW GTI, Black, also with every available option.