Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Update Maps in MMI

Lightbulb How to: Update Maps in MMI

I work in IT and it took me a while to figure it out... So thought I'd post a quick guide and save you time as I couldn't find anything online relevant:

• Create a my audi account and link your VIN to the account - https://login.audi.com/login/#/en/AU/login (this is different from the my audi au site).
    • Have java installed on the computer - You will need this to, run & download the map update compiler from the my audi site. This uses java to run the download.
    • Have a SD card formatted in FAT32 and connected to the computer and mounted.
    • Run the java map update compiler - Select the SD card drive as the destination (Download was approximately 750mb)
    • Once complete transfer the SD card into the SD card slot of your cars glovebox.
    • Go to MMI Settings -> System Maintenance -> System Update (this step took around 10 minutes with me)

Enjoy your new updated maps! AFAIK maps get updated twice a year, the exact interval i'm not sure.
    Last edited by morph.; June 20th, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

2012 Golf R 2002 Silvia 200sx S15

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to morph. For This Useful Post:

BS_S3 (June 20th, 2017), crackdawg (June 20th, 2017), JA04STI (June 22nd, 2017), kishigae (June 20th, 2017), Lanzo84 (June 19th, 2017), leshmutt (February 3rd, 2019), M@lew (June 20th, 2017), Mac135 (June 20th, 2017), OraQube (June 19th, 2017), Paushfev (April 6th, 2018), rowlabowla (October 19th, 2018), Soulfuljyl (March 3rd, 2019)

brilliant mate, thank you - i tried this earlier today and it was as simple as you mentioned.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crackdawg For This Useful Post:

D_rew_n (June 25th, 2017)

do you know what the current version is and if there's any way to check the current version on the car?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dddny For This Useful Post:

D_rew_n (June 25th, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dddny View Post
    do you know what the current version is and if there's any way to check the current version on the car?
    does audi limit the number of map updates per VIN? I think I updated map last year and don't want to update so soon if it there is a count on how many updates allowed.

Unlimited times for three years

After step 1, I was given a PIN to enter in the MMI. Do anyone know what is it for?
    Now:
    2013 CLA45 AMG C117 - Mountain Grey
    Before:
    2014 S3 8V - MY15 sedan - Sepang Blue
    2007 S3 8P - 3 door manual - Sprint Blue

Are you sure? Everything I've been told indicates 5 free "consecutive" updates at 6 monthly intervals which basically takes you to the end of your warranty. assuming your dealer isn't dodgy and registered your car months before you actually collected the car!

Hell.... I had a new update 2 days after picking up the car!

Quote Originally Posted by morph. View Post
    Unlimited times for three years
    2018 S3 S-tronic Sedan, Daytona Grey, SPP1, Assistance, Matrix, Folding Mirrors, Rear folding seats, Panoramic roof and design light inlays. Expected 25 July!

Quote Originally Posted by kishigae View Post
    After step 1, I was given a PIN to enter in the MMI. Do anyone know what is it for?
    That is for Audi Connect, which is not enabled in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by zeiron View Post
    Are you sure? Everything I've been told indicates 5 free "consecutive" updates at 6 monthly intervals which basically takes you to the end of your warranty. assuming your dealer isn't dodgy and registered your car months before you actually collected the car!

Hell.... I had a new update 2 days after picking up the car!
    The fine print on the audi site:
    1.The latest map updates can be downloaded here free of charge and then installed in the vehicle via SD card. You can download and install the updates an unlimited number of times. The Map Update includes the first five updates to the version of the map installed at the factory. The updates are issued every six months.
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to morph. For This Useful Post:

Seanix (June 21st, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by morph. View Post
    That is for Audi Connect, which is not enabled in Australia.

The fine print on the audi site:
    hahahahah. So Audi are saying we can download the SAME map updates as many times as we like? The point of that being what exactly?? how many times do you need or should be expected to download and install the same update?

The more this type of crap comes to light, the more I question why I even bothered ordering this car. No Audi Connect... No Traffic Jam Assist.....15kw less power than Europe no front or 360 degree camera (like on the Tiguan), a front passenger seat that vibrates at 100km/hr, which seems to be an Audi trait as I've never noticed it in any Mercs or Bmw's.......

Might be time to cut my losses. Theres a reason why Audi will always be the sales bridesmaid to the other 2 Germans.
    2018 S3 S-tronic Sedan, Daytona Grey, SPP1, Assistance, Matrix, Folding Mirrors, Rear folding seats, Panoramic roof and design light inlays. Expected 25 July!

Quote Originally Posted by zeiron View Post
    hahahahah. So Audi are saying we can download the SAME map updates as many times as we like? The point of that being what exactly?? how many times do you need or should be expected to download and install the same update?

The more this type of crap comes to light, the more I question why I even bothered ordering this car. No Audi Connect... No Traffic Jam Assist.....15kw less power than Europe no front or 360 degree camera (like on the Tiguan), a front passenger seat that vibrates at 100km/hr, which seems to be an Audi trait as I've never noticed it in any Mercs or Bmw's.......

Might be time to cut my losses. Theres a reason why Audi will always be the sales bridesmaid to the other 2 Germans.
    Maybe its done that way in case the MMI system needs to be replaced or when there is new system firmware it has to re-download the maps?
    Traffic Jam assist works for me when my data sim is in the car.
    Front passenger-seat vibration cant say I've notice that with mine. There is a storage bin under it maybe it isn't closed properly or something inside it?

Mercs I don't mind but i find the proportion of the boot to the rest of the car a bit too stumped with the late models. Interior is very noisy I dont understand why they still have a full analog dial pad... ugh.
    BMW interiors are horrible and dated, they have great driving dynamics though.

Your circumstances aren't optimal, but you seem to have already formed a very salty opinion of audi or zagame as a brand. I can definitely understand where you are coming from but also feel your expectations are abit high. Have you conveyed that their resolution was unsatisfactory with them nicely and politely or did you go into an angry rant and what not with them? I feel always asking nicely and in writing is most effective and don't type angry.

Ultimately you are buying a entry level sports vehicle from their brand not like a R8, they are willing to come to the table and help but you are just not accepting it anyway all the best :)
    Last edited by morph.; June 22nd, 2017 at 12:16 PM.