Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real world B7 RS4 fuel economy?

oh and in regards to maintenance. have you ever seen a grown man cry?
    if you end up getting a b7, check if it's had the carbon clean done.
    check rotors
    in fact, try to get as new as you can.
    SOLD!!! 01 black b5 rs4

14 suzuka grey b8 rs4 - bang & olufsen sound system, high beam assistant, black exterior styling package, heated front seats, rear manual sunblinds, panoramic sunroof, dynamic steering, digital radio, assistance package +side assist, dynamic sports package 3, oem rear cargo mat, Lakin number plate delete mod

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itaplikeabiatch For This Useful Post:

bahaimus (July 17th, 2017), Korny (July 16th, 2017)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    If you really desire an RS4, do it! I would say to check some other issues out though. 30K / year is in the commercial realm, so the risks of minor damage are substantially higher. The RS will suffer more than most from longer wait times for panels and other unique parts so you'll need to accept that risk. An RS3 seems a much more appropriate choice with same performance, better economy, full warranty and current spares situation. I would say that is a rational enthusiast outcome. You might say that RS4 over rides all that.
    I've driven an RS3 and really liked it. But it was no AWD manual V8 8200rpm wagon

If I did get one I'd be keeping my current runabout so I can manage the kms and also have something to use when the RS4 was requiring attention.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesatfish View Post
    You don't mention whether your 30,000kms are highway or city - if they're highway then I'd be more interested in range rather than fuel economy as I find having to stop and refuel more often to be more annoying than paying a few extra dollars at the pump.

I've been working on a project in Sydney the last few months, so I've been doing a fair bit of highway commuting Canberra - Sydney and I've done the trip in most of our cars.

Comparing the RS3 and RS4, our RS3 averages around 8.9L/100km, and needs to be refilled at Sutton Forest on the way home with about 100km remaining range (so perhaps 550km from a tank). Annoying when the round trip is ~600km.

Looking at the specs for the RS4 it seems like its highway range should be a bit further - about 650km or so which in my case would make the world of difference not having to stop for fuel on my way home.

The SQ5 is without a doubt the best option of those you mention, I easily get a real-world 1000km range with highway driving. I can do Canberra - Sydney - Canberra - Sydney on a single tank.

Interestingly Audi claim that the new petrol S5 has better range than the SQ5 - 1100km on the highway - but I haven't done the commute in that car yet to know for sure.

On the performance Avant side our RS6 was surprisingly efficient, thanks to having an 8 speed gearbox and cylinder deactivation. It got better economy on long trips than the RS3 (about 8.2L/100km on the drive to/from Brisbane) and about 900km from the tank.
    A lot of it is going to be city driving. So something like an SQ5 is probably smarter, but for the weekend fun, an RS4 is more appealing. Have to decide what compromise I'm more prepared to make.

Quote Originally Posted by itaplikeabiatch View Post
    oh and in regards to maintenance. have you ever seen a grown man cry?
    if you end up getting a b7, check if it's had the carbon clean done.
    check rotors
    in fact, try to get as new as you can.
    I guess it is no coincidence that if you hold down the shift key for too long while typing "RS4" you get "RS$"..........
    Last edited by bahaimus; July 17th, 2017 at 05:06 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bahaimus For This Useful Post:

Korny (July 18th, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    .................................................. ............
    I guess it is no coincidence that if you hold down the shift key for too long while typing "RS4" you get "RS$"..........
    You got it!
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

Korny (July 18th, 2017)