Thread: C5 RS6 Avant

1. Default C5 RS6 Avant

Hi Guys,
    I just pick up a C5 RS6 Avant in Sydney. It's done 112,000k and needs a tidy up. From what I can gather it's the car that stormtroper sold in Perth.
    A couple of things you may be able to help with,
    First thing is it has KW coil overs and it rides way to hard. Backed off the dampening but it has not helped. Anyone running these? Would I be better off going back to the DRC Shock?
    Did oil and filter and noticed the sway bar engine bracket has cracked. New one on the way. Not sure what has caused this.
    Also looking for a copy of an owners manual.

2. Default

Sorry Guys,
    I should of introduced myself.
    I live in Queanbeyan and work as a Production Manager in Fyshwick. Married with 3 kids, well there all grown up now.
    I have been into cars all my life. restored a few GT falcons and was a founding member of the Falcon GT car club of Newcastle. Sold them before the price rise. Just my luck. I have owned and modified a Falcon BA XR6 Turbo over the past 8 years and do as much work on the cars as I can. Its a hobby. we still have the BA as resale is bad. It only has 110k's on it.
    My daughter purchased a 2008 A3 Turbo last year and I was very impressed with the build quality and performance. I have always admired the RS6 but could never afford one. The A3 started me searching for something I could afford. Most had 170k's+ on the clock which lead me to the Avant I purchased with 112k's. So far its just been cleaning and maintenance. I just found the KW coil over install manual and will start by checking spring adjustment is within spec.

Hi Greg and welcome. There are a few current and past C5 RS6 owners around who may chime in if they see this. You're local so we might see you at some future coffee morning.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

4. Default

Congrats on the purchase Greg. Sounds like it will be a great project for you and in some ways the older RS models are better than the new ones.

As I'm sure you've read the DRCs inevitably leak and I would have thought you could back off the KW damping enough for your liking. Perhaps you need to consider something like Koni FSDs?

You should also get over to RS246.com as there is still quite a bit of activity over there on the C5s and someone will have all the answers for you, if not the search engine.

Look forward to seeing some photos when you get time to put them on.

5. Default

Hi Greg, That's the problem with KW - they are too hard even on they're softest setting. Unless you track the car KW are not needed. Putting back DRC is not really an option as it will cost you half of the car cost if not more and yes they will fail randomly quickly. Owners in States have used Koni sport shocks with DRC original springs, it's almost direct fit and gives you DRC like ride. Price for Koni is relatively cheap also. I still have DRC and luckily without leaks, but who know how long that lasts. I personally don't see good replacement for DRC and that's really bad.

6. Default

Hi Guys,
    Changed the broken engine bracket today. The problem was the 2 bolts that go into the chassis were stripped. All fixed and back together.
    Rest the pre load on the back coil overs to their proper spec. Rear has dropped 20mm. Next I will do the front as the preload is set to high as well. It will need a full wheel alignment after this from what I have read. I have heard that Inline at Queanbeyan are good with doing these types of wheel alignment. Anyone used them?
    Cheers,
    Greg
    IMG20170729145527.jpgIMG20170706124402.jpg

7. Default

Front springs reset and wheel alignment done. It rides much better. Also dropped the tyre pressure to 38psi.
    Small oil leak from front diff housing. New seal on its way. I think the diff oil is liquid gold. $104 per litre from Audi. At least I know it's the correct oil.

8. Default

Good work, lucky you can do all of these maintenance things yourself.

Surely Supercheap or somewhere will have the appropriate diff oil on sale for a fraction of the cost.

I don't think there is really anything special about the diffs in the C5.

Second that. I'd check the OS Forums and see what the opinions are. A fully synthetic 75W/ 90 is an appropriate alternative although you won't necessarily find that to be bargain basement priced. There is a Mobil distributor in Fyshwick where you might be able to buy an appropriate oil if there is one in their range that you choose.

(Manual) Gearbox oils are another matter and I would probably choose the factory product for my RS4 despite the various reviews of alternative oils.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

10. Default

https://www.motul.com/au/en/lubrican...282002-2005%29

Using Motul everything on my car and I'm very happy with it.