Thread: Ancient Audi Noob

1. Default Ancient Audi Noob

I am retired grumpy old fart who lives in the MtGravatt area of Brisbane.

Picked up our first Audi today, a new B9 S4 Avant, in Daytona Grey with quattro sports diff, panroof, blackout kit & carbon-fibre inlays inside.
    OEM wheels already replaced with 19 x 9 OZ Racing Ultraleggera in matte black, on OEM P Zeros.
    To be fitted are genuine Audi 100% carbon-fibre mirror caps, bought through ‘https://europrice.us/’. Recommended by Audizine (US forum) the price, incl shipping, lots less than dealer price. Alex is the man, and gave me top service. Actually they were shipped from Europe

Vehicle history starts with a modded ’68 Toyota Corona sedan > Mazda RX2 sedan > modded Mazda RX3 coupe > modded XB Falcon Surferoo 302 auto panel van > VW Golf > Mazda 323 hatch, then 4 x Subaru Liberty wagons.
    Last was a 2008 GTB turbo, ‘tuned by STi’, 6spd, modded of course, incl. a later Rex turbo, tune, downpipe & gorgeous HKS 3in dual catback exhaust.
    Early Dyno sheet read 212kw ‘atw’. Actually a lot more powerful than the S4, but less torque and technology.

Drove the S4 200kms today and can't wait to get into it.
    B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    Plus ~ OZ Racing Ultralegerra HLT matte black 19 x 9 wheels ~ Audi Carbon Fibre mirror caps ~ Tinting (Driver's/Front Pass windows & windscreen top band)

Bangor, Sutherland Shire, Southern Sydney.

Never too old to be an enthusiast mate.

Nice list of cars. I've been a bit of a Subie fan myself until finding the Audi. WRX and Liberty 3.0RB Manual wagon. Both great cars.

Welcome.

Blog Entries

welcome mate.. .never owned a subie, but been in plenty! Owned a few mazda's though, but not rx's...

Are you sure the S4 is less than 212kw atw? Actually, doing my calcs on 30% drivetrain loss, 260 Kw stock = 182kw atw (with 30% loss)... Chipping would increase that easily

Welcome. There are enough on here fitting that general description, so you won't be lonely. Just arrived in Brisbane today. The 'Roo population on the roadside is more than usual so won't be doing any night driving on the way home either. Nice car you have, enjoy the hell out of it, I've had nothing but good service from mine.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IsDon66 View Post
    Never too old to be an enthusiast mate.

Nice list of cars. I've been a bit of a Subie fan myself until finding the Audi. WRX and Liberty 3.0RB Manual wagon. Both great cars.

Welcome.
    Our third Liberty was a 3.0RB Manual wagon. Yes it was great, but dropped $$'s to get the turbo. It was sensational!! 'Was' is the keyword, because a truck put the tailgate next to the back seat & it was written-off. I was alone in it & saw the truck coming in the rear-view mirror. I was unhurt & felt safe in it. Subies are well made & the crumple zones did their job.
    Put up 1000kms on the S4 today. Run-in is 2/3 max revs = 4000rpm. On the highway, 1500rpm = 100kmh.

Now to enjoy!!!
    B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    Plus ~ OZ Racing Ultralegerra HLT matte black 19 x 9 wheels ~ Audi Carbon Fibre mirror caps ~ Tinting (Driver's/Front Pass windows & windscreen top band)

Bangor, Sutherland Shire, Southern Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by SMI77 View Post
    Our third Liberty was a 3.0RB Manual wagon. Yes it was great, but dropped $$'s to get the turbo. It was sensational!! 'Was' is the keyword, because a truck put the tailgate next to the back seat & it was written-off. I was alone in it & saw the truck coming in the rear-view mirror. I was unhurt & felt safe in it. Subies are well made & the crumple zones did their job.
    Put up 1000kms on the S4 today. Run-in is 2/3 max revs = 4000rpm. On the highway, 1500rpm = 100kmh.

Now to enjoy!!!
    Mine was close to written off thanks to a kangaroo, hit at 120KM/H on the Hume HWY near Holbrook.

Whole family, including German Shepherd, in the car.

No airbags deployed which saved it from being written off.

As I actually thought it would be written off I started looking for a new car and found my current car. MY13 C7 A6 Allroad, mighty car.

My Subie was repaired by a mate who's the most fastidious crash repairer I've ever met. It came back better than new. Paint job perfect, panel gaps better than new, all damaged bits replaced with new, (radiator, fans, front bumper, bonnet, front guards) the car was literally as good as new.

Sold it on Carsales. The guy who bought it asked me to take it to a mechanic for a check before he bought it. The mechanic was scratching his head how a 5 year old car could look so good so I showed him the pre repair photos. I'd already told the buyer. He couldn't fault it. I'm sure he's still driving it.