Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AP Racing Radical Big Brake Kit Installed.

Quote Originally Posted by WORX-S3 View Post
    I did quite a bit of driving yesterday to bed in the new brakes and really test them out. Its a vastly improved package compared the stock brakes. The stock brakes are pretty good on the S3 - but this is another level entirely. The first thing you really notice is the pedal feel is much firmer, with no sponginess that is there with the stock brakes and as such there is a confidence there that really inspires to go hard and deep into corners. When you really stamp on the brakes it is brutal in its ability to pull up much quicker than you expect. Didn't take long for me to figure out I could brake much later and harder for spirited driving. Nice to have that option. I haven't bothered trying to get them to fade. Frankly I think I would have to get onto a circuit and push really, really hard to have any chance of getting them to fade.

My only real concern is now the forward facing radar and the anti-collision. If the car decides at some point it wants to automatically apply the brakes because it thinks a collision is imminent its going to pull it up very, very quickly and that could be a problem for a car following too closely behind.....

The stock brakes on the S3 do just fine for daily driving by the way - but they pale in comparison to this big brake set up. what really surprised me when I took off the stock brakes was how much they weigh. They are seriously heavy units!

Will get some floating rear rotors soon just to shed a bit more unsprung weight.
    I don't disagree with the merit of the BBK however:

A good set of pads / rotors / braided lines and better brake fluid can also greatly change the feel and stopping power of the "oem" brake (caliper) setup for a fraction of the cost for those that want the best of both worlds with out dropping near 4k in coin hehe I always want to go BBK but never find it in me to justify spending 3-4k on brakes even when I used to do abit of track work back in the day.

With such a beefy front setup did you ever get worried about the whole brake balance / bias now?

I wonder if any of the RS3 FL breathren planning to go BBK i wouldnt mind upgrading to their front sets though
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

2012 Golf R 2002 Silvia 200sx S15

2. The Following User Says Thank You to morph. For This Useful Post:

Korny (August 11th, 2017)

3. Default

Absolutely, If budget is a concern then a BBK shouldn't be on your radar. Better pads, good fluid can help with pedal feel no question - not in the same league as a BBK though when you weigh up all the benefits. The unsprung weight saving alone is considerable.

Not all worried about front / back bias. Since the kit has been designed to work with the stock rears. Have had this sort of BBK on previous Audis and its never been an issue. What would be an issue would be increasing the rear brakes and not the fronts. That would end badly.....

I'm with Shannons so the mods are not an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by morph. View Post
    I don't disagree with the merit of the BBK however:

A good set of pads / rotors / braided lines and better brake fluid can also greatly change the feel and stopping power of the "oem" brake (caliper) setup for a fraction of the cost for those that want the best of both worlds with out dropping near 4k in coin hehe I always want to go BBK but never find it in me to justify spending 3-4k on brakes even when I used to do abit of track work back in the day.

With such a beefy front setup did you ever get worried about the whole brake balance / bias now?

I wonder if any of the RS3 FL breathren planning to go BBK i wouldnt mind upgrading to their front sets though
    2016 AUDI S3 Sedan - GIAC Stage 2+ & DSG Tune - OEM RS3 Front Grill - OEM Rear Carbon Spoiler & OEM Carbon Mirrors - FE Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - CTS 3.5" Downpipe & Remus 3" Race Exhaust - HG MSport Gen III Carbon Intake - HG MSport Intercooler - GFB+ DV - CTS Turbo Inlet & SF Silicon Hoses - 034 Motorsport Lowering Springs, 034 D-bone, 034 Rear Mounts, 034 Engine Mounts, Rear Sway Bar & Linkages - Burger Spacers - P3 Gauge w/track pack - AP Racing RadiCal Big Brake Kit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WORX-S3 For This Useful Post:

morph. (August 11th, 2017)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Ah right, maybe they're no longer the agents.
    Gotta disagree with you on the rear brakes though. Ya don't need to be going hard for the bias/balance to come into play. In a straight line maybe not by much, but braking when the car is not "straight" on a curve, on a wet surface etc, many situations can be affected if the factory braking balance has been altered to any degree. I mean, say you're half way around a corner, & ya have to hit the brakes, if your car is rotating & ya've got more braking "influence" on the front axle, your barking experience is going to be different,...IMHO!
    Pickles.
    And FOR SURE, I'm not trying to tell you to suck eggs!! Did you notify your insurer?

I've always been told not to worry about bigger rear brakes, as 70% + is done in the car on the front ones (unless you can balance it with a controller)...

In my stage III+ A4, I just did the fronts.... was fantastic..
    Same as the stage III+ S5 now... Big fronts, stock rears...

It helps that it was really hard to find rears, and I think the only place that did them, wanted much more than the fronts..

Anyway, just repeating what I've been told by others... Interesting to hear others thoughts on this...

Good advice here from Morph.
    Brakes simply convert kinetic energy into heat.
    Thus anything that helps heat dissipate more efficiently is a plus - pads, fluid, greater swept surface area.
    Never underestimate the positive impact of braided lines - they made a huge difference to the pedal feel (much grater firmness)together with a set of EBC Red Stuff to my previous SQ5; that completed a simple upgrade and made a significant and prolonged positive difference to the SQ5's brakes.
    Dingah

SQ5 gone now RSQ3 Performance + and Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

7. Default

70%?...maybe, I don't know!
    But it stands to reason that if it's 70% with the standard brakes, it'll be a lot more with the bigger ones,...has to be,....because that's where the increased performance comes from as the rears are unchanged.....that is why I say that the balance is affected, because there is an increased influence by the improved more efficient front brakes.
    Pickles.

8. Default

Well.. I can tell you.. I've thrown it into corners now with more than some degree of 'spirit' and it is stopping killer - no issues with bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    70%?...maybe, I don't know!
    But it stands to reason that if it's 70% with the standard brakes, it'll be a lot more with the bigger ones,...has to be,....because that's where the increased performance comes from as the rears are unchanged.....that is why I say that the balance is affected, because there is an increased influence by the improved more efficient front brakes.
    Pickles.
    2016 AUDI S3 Sedan - GIAC Stage 2+ & DSG Tune - OEM RS3 Front Grill - OEM Rear Carbon Spoiler & OEM Carbon Mirrors - FE Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - CTS 3.5" Downpipe & Remus 3" Race Exhaust - HG MSport Gen III Carbon Intake - HG MSport Intercooler - GFB+ DV - CTS Turbo Inlet & SF Silicon Hoses - 034 Motorsport Lowering Springs, 034 D-bone, 034 Rear Mounts, 034 Engine Mounts, Rear Sway Bar & Linkages - Burger Spacers - P3 Gauge w/track pack - AP Racing RadiCal Big Brake Kit