Thread: Audi A4 B8.5 Facelift Timing chain tensioner failure question

1. Default Audi A4 B8.5 Facelift Timing chain tensioner failure question

Hi guys,

Ive owned my car for over a year now and only recently been made aware of a potential faulty timing chain tension which may fail, due to VW AUDI to have produced yet another 'bad batch'.

Upon doing a search on this forum, Ive found a few issues experienced by S3 owners but so nothing on the A4. Searching on the web, if found a fair few regarding this issue on VW Golf GTIs.

It only came to light when a friends 2010 VW golf wouldn't start and as a result blew its engine due to the timing chain tensioner slipping teeth.

my vehicle is the 2012 Audi A4 B8.5 facelift (first of the Facelifted A4s), it still has the EA888 Gen II 2.0T, CDNC 155KW engine (yes that infamous dodgy piston ring motor, but they seemed to have rectified the oil consumption defect for my model, and included some revisions such as the piston diverter valve etc).

The car now has about 58,000km and I'm starting to be concerned about this timing chain tensioner; apparently you don't get much warning as well, it just wont start and the valves are then bent.

Can anyone shed some light an/or advise what action I should be taking?

Many Thanks

2. Default

Anyone? So I assume that everyone here with either a B8.5 or B8.0 Ea888 Gen II 2.0T has not had an issue?

here is a link I found for reference identifying this and based on the article Audis are indeed affected.

https://redlinespeedworx.com/2-0t-ts...chain-failure/

Can you just not just do some proactive/preventative maintenance and replace the tensioner (and probably the chain too) now?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    Can you just not just do some proactive/preventative maintenance and replace the tensioner (and probably the chain too) now?
    I could but apparently it's not a small job either.
    Its said that it can take up to 6 hours and approx $500 for the kit.

if it were cheap, it's a no brainer to just do it, like a diverted valve or PCV.

Seems like relatively cheap insurance if you're worried about the engine going kaput.

Blog Entries

any preventative maintenance is peace of mind/insurance.

Exactly the same as health insurance. 99% of the time, we don't use it, but we pay big premiums each month, just in case something happens. That means that we can sleep at night in piece, do activities and not have to think about the ramifications if we have a problem... We are covered if something happens and that is reassuring.

Same as what Alister is talking about. You are now probably driving the car each day, wondering if it's going to blow up and cost you multiple thousands of $$$$$..

If you take it to an independant now, they can fix it, and you can then drive again with peace of mind/calmness/happiness knowing that you are not going to have the problem that is scaring you..

Of is this just the way that I think ?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    any preventative maintenance is peace of mind/insurance.

Exactly the same as health insurance. 99% of the time, we don't use it, but we pay big premiums each month, just in case something happens. That means that we can sleep at night in piece, do activities and not have to think about the ramifications if we have a problem... We are covered if something happens and that is reassuring.

Same as what Alister is talking about. You are now probably driving the car each day, wondering if it's going to blow up and cost you multiple thousands of $$$$$..

If you take it to an independant now, they can fix it, and you can then drive again with peace of mind/calmness/happiness knowing that you are not going to have the problem that is scaring you..

Of is this just the way that I think ?

Nah I don't think theres anything wrong with the way your thinking.

and yes, approx. $1000 all up is cheaper than $7000 (or more) for an engine swap.

But what I was hoping was; what if you could find out whether the car is indeed affected...via engine number or VIN? then that could also potentially save stress and the $1000, right? But apparently VW and Audi have kept quiet about it and as the article mentioned that they never officially issue a recall... and some have taken this to fair trading/consumer affairs in Aust.

Anyways, ill be taking it to the mechanic to check the tensioner to see if it has the revised or pre-revised tensioner. Apparently in the late 2012' and the last of the ea888 GEN II, they addressed a lot of these issues before the release of the Gen III. So theres a 50/50 chance that I'm either safe, or have a ticking time bomb.

ive also been advised that if start to hear an unusual ticking sound upon cold start between now and the time I take it in.... I should immediately shut it off and call a towie to get it there.
    Last edited by wowzers; August 11th, 2017 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
    Hi guys,

Ive owned my car for over a year now and only recently been made aware of a potential faulty timing chain tension which may fail, due to VW AUDI to have produced yet another 'bad batch'.

Upon doing a search on this forum, Ive found a few issues experienced by S3 owners but so nothing on the A4. Searching on the web, if found a fair few regarding this issue on VW Golf GTIs.

It only came to light when a friends 2010 VW golf wouldn't start and as a result blew its engine due to the timing chain tensioner slipping teeth.

my vehicle is the 2012 Audi A4 B8.5 facelift (first of the Facelifted A4s), it still has the EA888 Gen II 2.0T, CDNC 155KW engine (yes that infamous dodgy piston ring motor, but they seemed to have rectified the oil consumption defect for my model, and included some revisions such as the piston diverter valve etc).

The car now has about 58,000km and I'm starting to be concerned about this timing chain tensioner; apparently you don't get much warning as well, it just wont start and the valves are then bent.

Can anyone shed some light an/or advise what action I should be taking?

Many Thanks
    Theres a gourmet on the case where it houses the tensioner. Pop it open and inspect with a mirror. Check if its the updated version.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by forp View Post
    Theres a gourmet on the case.......................

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    A mechanic would be better . Sorry, just couldn't resist.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8